Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello: I am intrigued by reading the posts from shorter people. I am a 57 year old man who is only 5'3" and sadly OVERWEIGHT. I have a 2015 Rebel 250 that I went back to after owning a Suzuki S50. I couldn't "Duck walk" that bike very well and it just seemed HEAVY to me. I like my 250 but it just can't do highway speeds and only tops at 65 mph and is extremely buzzy.

I have been looking at the 300 and 500. The 500 sure is pricey but I worry about the weight, height, and handle bar reach. I can not flat foot the bike on both sides like my 250. I can do most of the foot but not all of it. I feel the handle bars are a reach and long rides might be an issue. The dealer said they can loosen and rotate the bar some to make it come back a little. I do like the buck horn handlebars on the 250.

I do believe in my heart that there are enough mechanical differences in the bike now to make it more of a reason to switch.

Anyway, I thank you for taking time to write and post and it helps others out here who God gave smaller earthly vehicles to use while on this earth. Thank you again!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes - I will get you a photos of my 500 next week. My husband has the handlebars off right now to shorten the front arm-reach with Rebel 300/500 handlebar pullbacks available from HM Racing parts at www.hrpmotors.com. Their Honda Rebel 500 1" pullback has a mounting bracket for the instrument panel cast into it. That is necessary. Normal 1" aftermarket handlebar pullbacks have nowhere to mount the instrument panel. These pullbacks are small enough it should work with stock cables & wires. We will see, they are in the mail.

I went to their website and cannot find the exact handlebars you got for your rebel to help with the reach for short armed people like me. Can you post an exact link to the bar you have now? Thank you!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Best for a super short guy too!

Nice post. I traded in my Suzuki 650 LS40 (which I have been riding since 2007) for a Honda Rebel 500 ABS last week. I'm a very short guy at 4'11. 26 inseam. I am so glad I decided on this bike. I get great gas mileage and the power I need for highway speeds. Of course, I'm like a flea on a horses back I'm so small...the bike does not even know there is a rider on it. HAHAHA! I love the looks of the bike as well. :grin2:

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's nice that at least one of the bike manufacturers out there makes a dwarf friendly bike.

I have noticed that many (if not all) of the newer bikes have a seat height of 78.5 cm which is even too tall for anyone below 6' height. Not everyone is a tall white/black male. There are plenty of short people in the world.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice to know because very often I feel that I am alone in some aspects. It's nice to know really that there are other people short like myself that enjoys bikes. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2 Posts
First Bike

I'm thinking about getting my first motorcycle. Being a female at 5'4", which would be the best Rebel for a first timer rider like myself? I would be riding the Rebel to and from work, and going to friends houses.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm thinking about getting my first motorcycle. Being a female at 5'4", which would be the best Rebel for a first timer rider like myself? I would be riding the Rebel to and from work, and going to friends houses.
Simple answer would be go for the newer 300/500. :laugh:

Slightly longer answer is that there's a 'slight' reach to the handlebars (as mentioned elsewhere) that might be little more than noticeable for the first few miles, or perhaps worse, it might make the newer Rebel uncomfortable. Please don't let this put you off, go and find one to sit on. The Rebel is such an easy bike to ride... the positives far out weigh the (very few) negatives.

Good luck and best wishes with your Rebel adventure. :smile2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info. I can't decide between the 300 and the 500. I like the price of the 300, but the 500 has the extra power which I love. Hopefully, I'll have it figured it by the end of summer.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks for the info. I can't decide between the 300 and the 500. I like the price of the 300, but the 500 has the extra power which I love. Hopefully, I'll have it figured it by the end of summer.
I had the same thoughts and put a 300 and 500 side by side in the dealership. I even started both of them for comparisons. In the end I went with the 500. I considered the price difference as well. I am sure both are dependable but I’m glad I have the extra cc’s when I’m 75 miles from the house. Either one is great so don’t let the cost be the factor if you can.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts