Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this question has been asked before.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a wrapped exhaust pipe?

Anyone here have tried it with their rebels?

Is it advisable to do it or should I just stay away from the idea of wrapping my exhaust pipe?

Many thanks in advance for the replies.

Cheers!

·
Registered
178 Posts

Is it advisable to do it or should I just stay away from the idea of wrapping my exhaust pipe?

Cheers!

By wrapping the exhaust this keeps the heat in the tubes the exhaust flows faster and fewer things in your engine compartment get torched.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You're joking aren't you.
No I am not. In a non-wrapped exhaust system the rapidly cooling gases make the exhaust pipes resonate. Exhaust wraps lessen this effect of resonance created by not allowing the gases to cool rapidly and also as the wraps are warped tightly around exhaust pipes they help reduce the resonance physically.

Pros and cons to exhaust wraps, like 01-7700 mentioned, it can cause rust with moisture trapped.

·
Registered
814 Posts

Cheers!
Mine is wrapped I have had almost no problems. The only slight issue is I have the stock header pipes and Cat so wrapping the catalytic converter is kind of a pain. It is quite large and not round. I thought I had it wrapped well but because of the shape it still loosened up around the cat so it looks a little crappy at that one part.

Second issue you will come up on is color. Wrap will not stay the color it is when you you installed it. The heat burns the dye and will start to turn the color to white. To fix this DEI makes a High Temp Silicone spray that you can spray the wraps with after install and they will stay the color. And you can always respray down the road if you lose any color.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts