Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks awesome! I've been looking to do the same to mine as well. How much length did it take you? Is one 50ft roll enough?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks awesome! I've been looking to do the same to mine as well. How much length did it take you? Is one 50ft roll enough?

Thank you, yes 50ft is more then enough, there’s a lot of choice, go for quality rather then cost ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks awesome! Very nice job! Do you have to take the exhaust off to wrap it?

I was going to take off the exhaust, however I needed new gaskets, so I just wrapped it straight on, it’s not that difficult, makes a difference to the sound and performance too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm a complete newbie....why would someone wrap the exhaust? To keep rocks from hitting the exhaust pipes? What difference would it have in performance? Tone...definitely. But performance.....I don't see how. (but will leave the door open for someone to explain it to me.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a complete newbie....why would someone wrap the exhaust? To keep rocks from hitting the exhaust pipes? What difference would it have in performance? Tone...definitely. But performance.....I don't see how. (but will leave the door open for someone to explain it to me.)

There’s loads of content out there on wrapping exhausts, have a look on YouTube. I am no expert, but basically it keeps the heat in, which helps with the performance, now I am not saying it’s massively making a difference, but it gives a lot more base and a growl to the sound, I did it more for the look I am going for

·
Registered
111 Posts
but basically it keeps the heat in, which helps with the performance

That's the theory?

I'm the son of a mechanical engineer and I've picked up a few things over the years. (Dad worked as an engineer for GM in the 50's-60's, and was still an engineer into the 80's.) Even though he passed away last year, I can hear him chuckling at this. (as if to poke fun at me for even asking him about it) Keeping the heat in?? But it's post compression chamber, it shouldn't make any difference. I did a google search and read that the theory is hot air is less dense, and therefore flows faster. I'll agree, but were talking about short distances and not under much pressure. Yes, the air flow 'could' be slightly increased, but it's irrelevant compared to the power of the upstroke of the cylinder pushing the exhaust out of the engine. I think this concept exists to sell pipe wrap. And who's to say the pipes/muffler can take the increased heat? (Probably not an issue, but dad always made me search out the 'what ifs'.

Going for a certain look? Absolutely! Changing the tone of the motorcycle? Absolutely! Wanting to keep the heat off the rider? Absolutely! But I don't agree with the increase in power. Yes, it's possible it could increase power...but it would be such a small amount no rider could ever tell. I would think we're talking about fractions of horsepower. (fractions of fractions)

I don't wish to step on any toes or insult people or get in any internet fights. (so please don't take it that way...as often can happen on the internets)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Less heat soak = better performance. It's not going to be a huge difference but keeping heat away from the engine is usually always a good thing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the theory?

I'm the son of a mechanical engineer and I've picked up a few things over the years. (Dad worked as an engineer for GM in the 50's-60's, and was still an engineer into the 80's.) Even though he passed away last year, I can hear him chuckling at this. (as if to poke fun at me for even asking him about it) Keeping the heat in?? But it's post compression chamber, it shouldn't make any difference. I did a google search and read that the theory is hot air is less dense, and therefore flows faster. I'll agree, but were talking about short distances and not under much pressure. Yes, the air flow 'could' be slightly increased, but it's irrelevant compared to the power of the upstroke of the cylinder pushing the exhaust out of the engine. I think this concept exists to sell pipe wrap. And who's to say the pipes/muffler can take the increased heat? (Probably not an issue, but dad always made me search out the 'what ifs'.

Going for a certain look? Absolutely! Changing the tone of the motorcycle? Absolutely! Wanting to keep the heat off the rider? Absolutely! But I don't agree with the increase in power. Yes, it's possible it could increase power...but it would be such a small amount no rider could ever tell. I would think we're talking about fractions of horsepower. (fractions of fractions)

I don't wish to step on any toes or insult people or get in any internet fights. (so please don't take it that way...as often can happen on the internets)

That’s very insightful and certainly not stepping on toes. Thanks for sharing, your Dad was clearly a very knowledgeable man and I agree, always search for the ‘what if’s’...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, that caught my eye too. Is it a slip on cover, or it's own seat? Do tell!

It’s a replacement seat, I got in on eBay from Thailand, seems it’s where most of the after market parts for the Rebel are made, it’s pretty good quality, a lot more comfortable then the stock.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm primarily interested in the wrap if it really makes a tonal difference. Can you really tell the difference, if so how?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts