Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says, I'm just trying to figure out if it's time to change the tires (front to be specific as the back looks brand new with barely any wear indicator showing 🤷🏻‍♂️).

I've had these tires on since new, and I've put on 9k kms (5.6k miles). My riding style is moderate, conservative, and on normal roads. I checked the manual and it says that once the TWI start to become visible, then it's time to change the tire. However, I'm a little confused because there seems to be plenty to tread left, and the little bumps (indicators) have always been visible really...

Please take a look at pics below and let me know. Thank you!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When your tread depth is flush with those wear indicators, the tire is done depth-wise. Unless the tire is 5+ yrs old then most would change them anyway due to possible cracking or dryness.
Yeah see that makes sense to me....

The manual is a bit dramatic?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just BTW really: Over here we have a basic minimum 1.6mm tread depth requirement. This seems sensible to me. There is also the issue of squaring off which can affect handling. The rear on my MT-07 seems impossible to measure as there so few 'cuts' in the tread to measure. It is legal I am told, but it is squaring off. It will have to go. Now, back to the Rebel......

·
Registered
193 Posts
As the picture in the manual shows when the TWI are the same level of the tread, then it time.
Have you never changed tires on your car/truck??

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
199 Posts
The manual is not clear for people with no tire experience. The dread indicators are the same as on other tires like your car or truck. The tire is considered worn out and dangerous when the tread is worn down to the same level as the indicators. You can always see them below the level of the tread even when the tire is not worn out.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As the picture in the manual shows when the TWI are the same level of the tread, then it time.
Have you never changed tires on your car/truck??
No, I have not. The manual says "if they become visible, replace immediately"...but they're always visible...which was the confusing part. What you and others are saying makes sense. Thx.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
199 Posts
The manual is not clear for people with no tire experience. The tread indicators are the same as on other tires like your car or truck. The tire is considered worn out and dangerous when the tread is worn down to the same level as the indicators. You can always see them below the level of the tread even when the tire is not worn out.
Have you got it figured out?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Reactions: SC48

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you ride in winter then it's a lot more important than for fair weather riders. Personally i change them as a pair for good handling.
Fair point yup, especially with our winters and massive temperature fluctuations. I already see minimal cracking forming that I need to keep an eye on also.

I know the Dunlops are not the greatest quality tires, but they've held up so far, and I plan on replacing them as a pair next season with OEM.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
21 Posts
While we're on the topic, I have a long way to go before my original tyres need to be replaced. Has anyone here replaced the OEM tyres with another brand and if so, how did it work out? I haven't had any issues with the Dunlops so far, but living in the tropics I do a lot of riding in monsoon conditions.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While we're on the topic, I have a long way to go before my original tyres need to be replaced. Has anyone here replaced the OEM tyres with another brand and if so, how did it work out? I haven't had any issues with the Dunlops so far, but living in the tropics I do a lot of riding in monsoon conditions.
Hey I found this thread when I was researching the topic...some suggestions and a mixed bag of brands/experiences in this thread:

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
21 Posts
Hey I found this thread when I was researching the topic...some suggestions and a mixed bag of brands/experiences in this thread:

Thanks muchly. Of course it didn't occur to me to search the forum to find a question that has obviously been asked and answered before.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks muchly. Of course it didn't occur to me to search the forum to find a question that has obviously been asked and answered before.
All good dude, I'm 100% guilty of the same thing 😎

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
21 Posts
All good dude, I'm 100% guilty of the same thing 😎
I checked your link. Yeah, looks like a choice between the Michelin C2 and Pirelli MT 66 , but it's likely going to come down to what's available locally.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts