Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2017 rebel 300(it's my wife's) I have a idea that it might be a toasted battery but here is the issue. Bike probably hasn't been started in 5 months. It ran fine during that time. I went out today 12-17-18 and nothing... Lights and odo turns on but starter won't turn over at all. I've tried booking the battery up to my other bike and nothing and tried it with my truck. Still nothing. But everything else electrical works. Any ideas.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The kill switch is on the throttle side of the handlebars and it is red, it has 2 positions.

Try sitting on the bike with the kickstand in the riding position.

Kenny G

·
Registered
370 Posts
It is possible that there is insufficient charge in the battery to turn the engine. You could measure the battery's power (but I would not know how to interpret the readings). Take it to your dealer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is possible that there is insufficient charge in the battery to turn the engine. You could measure the battery's power (but I would not know how to interpret the readings). Take it to your dealer?
Talking a buddy and he said the same exact thing. I'll try buying a new battery first. It sat for 5+ months without starting so most likely battery is just shot. Hopefully!! Lol cheapish easy fix

·
Registered
789 Posts
most likely the battery no longer has the voltage, or amperage to engage the starter. it can still have 9.6 or 10 volts, and easily power the lights, but not have power to start the engine.
if you have a multimeter you could hook it up to see what voltage you have..and if possible you had access to a charger you could try that as well before replacing the battery.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Battery voltage wont tell the whole story.
It could read 12 volts yet not have the power (amps) to turn the engine.
That's why you either need to load test the battery or replace it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you buy a new battery, do yourself a favor and get a battery tender and plug it in every night.

Some people will say there is no need to plug it in every night. I do as a habit, so I don't forget and a battery go dead from sitting.

On my Rebel 300 I have the lead coming out in front of the seat under the tank, this way it's easy to plug in and doubles as a heated jacket connection for cold weather riding.

I have done this on all bikes I've owned and had batteries last 5 - 7 years depending on the bike and how often it's ridden.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts