Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4900 miles on my 500. When riding I was going bout 45mph and had to let go of my handle bars to zip up my jacket. I was in 6th gear. And I noticed my handle bars start to shake and my front wheel move from side to side. Not fast but enough to get my notice. Then I tried it again around the same speed but this time popped it to neutral and left my hands off longer. I noticed that the side to side shake would get less shakey and the front wheel would gradually start to sway longer and farther from side to side. Like the pattern would start off small and get wider the longer I kept my hands off the bars. From 45 Mph down to 20mph the front tire was only tracking maybe 2 inches side to side by the time I got down to 20. Does anyone know what causes this? My 250 I used to own coasted straight as an arrow when I let go of the bars in any configuration.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Could be a number of things. Tire pressure, tread wear, steering head bearings, fork alignment, and possibly more. Sometimes it is just due to the geometry of the bike to have some shake on decel.

I’d say the easiest thing to check is to loosen up the front end bolts and check the forks, they can get a little misaligned due to hitting curbs and potholes and stuff.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Could be a number of things. Tire pressure, tread wear, steering head bearings, fork alignment, and possibly more. Sometimes it is just due to the geometry of the bike to have some shake on decel.

I’d say the easiest thing to check is to loosen up the front end bolts and check the forks, they can get a little misaligned due to hitting curbs and potholes and stuff.
X2

I had this exact problem. Did this
problem solved

1 - 3 of 3 Posts