Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

I know the title of this post is sort of an oxymoron, but even in Southern California where there are plenty of warmish days in "winter" I expect to be riding less. So, as a first time motorcycle owner, I'm wondering what I need to be concerned about in the coming months. Here are some questions.

How long can you let the bike sit before you need to...
  1. use a battery tender?
  2. lift the bike to get the tires off the ground?
  3. worry about fuel going bad?
Also let me know if there's anything I should be doing during these so called winter months of SoCal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
In short:

1) rule of thumb is 1% discharge per day and you really don't want to bring it below 80%. I would put it on a tender if you're not using it for 2 weeks or longer.

2) looking for input for that myself

3) if you're storing fuel month or longer add the right amount of stabilizer to it before it sits.

Realistically most winter problems come from water forming in the tank and fuel breaking down due to ethanol content etc.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hey Gang,

I know the title of this post is sort of an oxymoron, but even in Southern California where there are plenty of warmish days in "winter" I expect to be riding less. So, as a first time motorcycle owner, I'm wondering what I need to be concerned about in the coming months. Here are some questions.

How long can you let the bike sit before you need to...
  1. use a battery tender?
  2. lift the bike to get the tires off the ground?
  3. worry about fuel going bad?
Also let me know if there's anything I should be doing during these so called winter months of SoCal.

Thanks!
The short answer is NO. You should/could use a battery tender all year round - lots of people do. Living in the IE should give you enough good days that you'll probably be able to ride 2 or 3 times a week. Even if you only ride on the weekends that gives you 2 rides a week. Fuel won't go bad if you're filling up every other week.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It seems to me a good idea to run the bike onto carpet to keep tyres off cold concrete (or like) floor. And the wheels ought to be turned now and again. Both good ideas but I have done neither!

·
Registered
112 Posts
AS someone that can't ride for about 5-6 months of the year and NEED to winterize because temps get to -20°F let me give some answers.

I dont do anything with the tires, lift or put something under them, I just let them be on the concrete garage floor.
They will not develop flat spots. Their made out of rubber, rubber is flexible. They will go back to their round self.

There are times in the spring and fall when the bike might sit for 2-3 weeks because of weather, I dont use a tender those times and I have not had any battery problems. I take my battery inside the house in the winter so that it is not sitting in the extreme cold and the about once a month put a tender on it for a few days.

Also fuel stabilizer cant hurt at any time.
I use Seafoam and add it in even in the summer time to keep everyting working fine. Never had any problems.
If your only sitting for 2-3 weeks - nope you dont need it, BUT add it if you wish. It can only help and not hurt anything.

So in the winter I put in Seafoam, fill the tank, put a dab of oil on the exhaust ends ( keep mice out), and put a cover of the bike and wait for spring! You can do more, but that's all that is needed.

Must be terrible riding all year!

·
Registered
112 Posts
We have mice around.
Heard mice don't like the smell of oil.
??
Have done it a few years - don't know if it works?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts