Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

Winter Storage Stand?

12K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  RebelRider 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Hope riding is going well for everyone. Would anyone know if there is a good winter storage stand for the Rebel. I've been reading that we're supposed to keep the bikes off the ground for the winter and I was wondering if people had good recommendations for me, something that I can buy online preferably for winter storage in Canada.

P.S. It does get cold here but please don't let this post confirm your misconceptions that we live in Igloos up here. We have moved on to bricks. Thanks

#2 ·
Hello all,

Hope riding is going well for everyone. Would anyone know if there is a good winter storage stand for the Rebel. I've been reading that we're supposed to keep the bikes off the ground for the winter and I was wondering if people had good recommendations for me, something that I can buy online preferably for winter storage in Canada.

P.S. It does get cold here but please don't let this post confirm your misconceptions that we live in Igloos up here. Thanks (in case you have them)
I read that there isn't any that is for the new rebel, but I also have read that people have used their car jacks to keep it of the ground. I am not sure how stable that is thought.

#5 ·
I use my standard motorcycle jack for storage. Jack the bike up till it barely clears the floor, and lock the safety catch so the hydraulics won't leak down. Then I can roll it around the garage and put it anywhere I want, or move it anytime I need to. Keeps the pressure off the tires so they don't develop flat spots. Only problem is that I have 3 bikes and only 1 jack.

#17 ·
Regarding the safety catch, it is basically a mechanical lock with notches at different heights so that after you lift it with the hydraulic jack, you can let it back down slightly on the lock to release the pressure on the hydraulics or prevent it from leaking down if the hydraulics fail.

These jacks work just fine on the Rebel, but require blocks between the bike frame and the jack to prevent lifting on the exhaust system. I use short wooden 2X4 and/or 4X4 blocks on top of the jack arms and under the frame. Pretty simple and easy to use.

I also strap the bike to the jack arms with a couple of ratchet straps, one on each side of the bike over the foot pegs and under the jack arms. You can then push, pull, wrench, etc. without worrying about it falling over.

#18 ·
Editing rules suck on this site.

The above post is for the Rebel 250.

I have not looked at the new NOT Rebel 300 or 500 to see if it will fit directly on the jack like the Harleys, or require blocks like the Rebel 250, or require some other type of adapters to fit. I am sure that it can be made to fit with a little ingenuity, adaptation, or modification.

#23 ·
Why would I do that? I don't own or ever plan to own one of the uuuuugly NOT Rebels.

I was simply trying to help newbies here who are looking for options.

Your bike, and you do with it as you see fit. Ask Honda yourself or don't. I don't care.

If I wanted to lift one, I would devise adapters to fit my motorcycle lift, regardless of what Honda says. If the engine is strong enough to be part of the frame and withstand all the weight of a fully loaded bike in a dynamic condition while hitting potholes, bumps, etc., then it is strong enough to be part of the support to lift a bare bike in a static condition.

Now since I am a mechanical engineer, maybe I understand a little better how to evaluate force vectors and reactions, and I would be sure that the adapters applied the lifting forces in such a manner as not to damage anything about the engine, but I think you can do the same with just a little common sense.

#24 ·
I got this from amazon in Canada https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01721OJZG/

the rear stand is just wide enough but fits fine, you will need to remove the muffler first.

the front fork lift works fine, however the front tipple tree stand is not tall enough to lift the tire off the ground, I put a a 2x6 under each side and and then it was fine. you can get it without the triple tree stand if you want https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0077T23IO/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.