Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder why Honda is forcing Rebel riders to more or less 130 miles per gas stop? My 2011 NT700VAB can average 220 miles per gas stop. I guess for my usual long trip, I have to bring extra gas container. I plan on trading in my NT with a naked 2020 Rebel 500 ABS.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Because it looks cool. Honda fails to realize that people actually ride past the last lamp post it town.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because it looks cool. Honda fails to realize that people actually ride past the last lamp post it town.
Is there an aftermarket larger tank to a 2020 Rebel 500? The range restriction may change my mind on trading in mt NT700VAB with a Rebel.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I wonder why Honda is forcing Rebel riders to more or less 130 miles per gas stop? My 2011 NT700VAB can average 220 miles per gas stop. I guess for my usual long trip, I have to bring extra gas container. I plan on trading in my NT with a naked 2020 Rebel 500 ABS.
I thought about that alot at first when i started taking longer rides. but i realized, even after replacing the stock seat, that I want to stretch my legs anyway after 2 hours of riding non-stop. Maybe that was their theory. who knows. I looked for quite a while about getting an aftermarket tank that would fit but ultimately realized it just wasn't that important to me anyways.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about that alot at first when i started taking longer rides. but i realized, even after replacing the stock seat, that I want to stretch my legs anyway after 2 hours of riding non-stop. Maybe that was their theory. who knows. I looked for quite a while about getting an aftermarket tank that would fit but ultimately realized it just wasn't that important to me anyways.
Yup. Maybe I’ll change my ways. I’m getting old and I will just gas up and stretch every 130 miles on a long trip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I want to stretch my legs anyway after 2 hours of riding non-stop.
Sure, but not at a gas station.

If every time I took the bike out it had a full tank of gas, it would be less of an issue. There also aren't any gas stations where I prefer to ride, so it's always a (albeit minor) detour. I never really considered it a problem, but I do notice how it seems like I'm always looking for gas. A bigger tank might have been better.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 500
71 Posts
I get right at 200 miles per tank on my 500 which has been plenty for me. I did see Revzilla or someone had two different gas cannisters meant to be packed for emergency top offs. Maybe those would work for you? They looked like an expensive thermos and I think came in either .5 or 1 liter sizes.

Are you getting such short range due to the erroneous empty flashing? Mine starts flashing with ~50 miles left.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I don't worry about the tank for nearer 180 miles - provided I have some idea of available fuel stations.

·
Registered
84 Posts
From a Honda insider. The real reason why it is a relatively small tank is as follows:

Mr. Akisakimoto, who works in the seat design department, was looking for a way to stop riders grumbling about how uncomfortable the stock seat is. He was getting fed up with the constant complaints about people suffering from a numb butt. During a lunch break, he had a private word with his colleague from the fuel tank department. He told him about the problem.

His colleague said: 'No problem my friend, I'll make the tank smaller than the original planned 20 litre tank so that they have to keep getting off the bike to fill up. That way they will not complain about the uncomfortable seat because they will have only been on the bike for a short time.' Mr Aksakimoto gave him a great big man hug and said: 'You are a genius!' 'No problem, he replied, if they complain again let me know and I'll make the tank even smaller by a third.'

And off they both went to wait for the setting sun hoping there would be no more complaints about seats and tanks.

;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I fill my gas tank to the brim after each ride so I'm always ready to go. I just have a 20L jerry can that's always pumped with fresh fuel every 2-3 weeks. This has helped avoid multiple trips to the gas station during Covid lockdown. Never had any issues with tank size...

·
Registered
153 Posts
"helped avoid multiple trips to the gas station during Covid lockdown " - REALLY!
Do you wear a mask when you ride as well?

·
Registered
258 Posts
"helped avoid multiple trips to the gas station during Covid lockdown " - REALLY!
Nope. Back when things got really bad and everyone was barely allowed out, we tried to limit any outside interaction that's not absolutely necessary. I got into the habit of keeping extra fuel because you never know...

No mask while riding because that's just silly, but I do indeed see many riders out here wearing a mask while riding...actually masks just NOW became mandatory in all indoor public places. So if you're stopping to enter a gas station or wtv you have to have one....

My final thought on that: when I ride, I just want to ride, I don't want to waste my time or be concerned with anything else, or stop anywhere (which includes gas station stops regardless of how little time it takes, especially with having to be extra careful and take a million precautions just to psych yourself up to buy a pack of smokes these days 🤦🏻‍♂️)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here in Thailand we've been wearing masks while riding, while driving a car, in short everywhere we go outside the house. Massive cooperation from the entire population since the advent of COVID-19.
The country is opening up again now, though not to visitors from places not so successful at containment.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts