Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, why did you decide to use an old style forum for a relatively new project?

Why don't you use for example Discourse?

I have a few issues with a design of existing forum.

• It's really hard to use on mobile devices and tablets.
  • It's hard to subscribe and follow threads I'm interested in.
  • It's hard to read comments, because the of quotes, signatures and other pointless information.
If you're interested, I can help you. I have some experience in making successful forums.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use Tapatalk... All forums look the same to me lol.
Tapatalk is a tool made because of that problem.

The forum can look good and be easy to use itself, without any extra tools.

I believe it's an important question to raise, especially on early stage of a community.

·
Super Moderator
1,235 Posts
The host of this forum has (100's?) of forums all using the same front and backends. There is a great deal of efficiency in it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I see now. It's a franchise of motorcycle.com

If it were an independent forum - it would be more flexible.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I've dealth with Forums in the past with the same layout as this one, so it wasn't all to unfamiliar to me. But I must agree to some extent, it could have been better. A little more neat and tidy, of sort.
But, then again, I only ever access the Forum by PC, and by a pressing "new posts" at the top, I get right to what's of interest.
But say I wanna find a thread again that's been dead for some time? It's a bit of a hassle to be able to search for it each time I wanna do that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, have a look on Discourse Demo, it's another modern form engine. This forum can be migrated into it.

- It's so much cleaner and easy to use.
- Setting don't look like a helicopter dashboard
- Each topic additionally to categories has tags, so it's easy to find.
- Lots of social features.

Anyway, I know the answer. All these cool features are pointless without people.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Tapatalk is a tool made because of that problem.

The forum can look good and be easy to use itself, without any extra tools.

I believe it's an important question to raise, especially on early stage of a community.
Tapatalk was made to be a one stop shop for all of your forum browsing, not to simplify browsing for forums you believe to be outdated or improperly formatted.

Much like news feed apps that bring the articles to you, podcast apps, etc.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Owners of the forum are losing money on advertisement. Instead, Tapatalk is making money on showing own ads.

·
Administrator
266 Posts
Hey there

We appreciate your feedback, and thank you for the suggestions :)

At the moment, we have no plans to switch from our vBulletin platform. The desktop mode works well for desktop viewers, and it has hundreds, if not thousands, of open source plugins, extensions and additions available to customize it for each and every community we run. On top of the obvious backend simplicity of running the same platform across the network, it's also well tagged for better Google results, which means more new members can find our communities :)

As for mobile devices, we have developed a mobile platform to run. It is installed on this site as well. Just visit the site in your mobile browser, and the enhanced mobile version will be available to you. It runs very similarly to our Motorcycle.com app. Mobile views of course do not include every bell and whistle that the desktop view of the site does, but our team is working on implementing the features that are most requested such as Galleries, Likes, and the Garage.

Subscribing to threads on either mobile or desktop view can be done with a couple clicks - on mobile, while viewing the thread, simply click the top right menu (three vertical dots) and select "Subscribe" from the list. You can access your list of subscriptions from the left menu (three horizontal lines) with the option "Subscribed".
On desktop, while viewing the thread, above the OP click on Thread Tools and select "Subscribe to the this thread". You can access your list of subscriptions from the link next to your Notifications, just under the navigation bar.

Let us know if you are having any trouble with these. I'm also moving this to our Help and Support section so we can get your replies and continue to help you out. I've left a redirect link in this section so everyone can find it.

Dayle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts