Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at used Rebel 500s online recently and I have noticed that there are a lot of people selling their 2017 Rebel 500s with low miles (less than 5k). Is there something wrong with this exact year model?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I was looking at used Rebel 500s online recently and I have noticed that there are a lot of people selling their 2017 Rebel 500s with low miles (less than 5k). Is there something wrong with this exact year model?
Fly,
I think there is a fair amount of people that purchase the Rebel as a first bike and after a few miles decide they need a bigger, faster bike.
I like my Rebel and I have been riding for 65 years, it is fast enough for me.
I did have to make one attempt to see if it would bump "The Ton".
Under normal conditions my limit is about 70 MPH.

Kenny G

·
Registered
13 Posts
I traded mine with about 5k miles on it. I liked the bike, and I had no major issues with it, but I wanted something with more power because I do a lot of highway riding.

I wish I could have kept it, but I just don't have the money or garage space to justify 2 bikes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just every once in a while I start thinking, "I want a bigger motorcycle", then I ride it again, and think, "really, you'll get in so much trouble"! Since I put on a tall windshield and a Corbin saddle, I've piled on the miles. I put in nearly 300 today! I'll will eventually get another, but I intend to pile up the miles on MY 2017 500 Rebel, until it's burned out! Mine will run 80+ mph, if you want to, but at anything other than interstate, is more than enough power and speed. O, I nearly stole mine last November with 500 miles on it, it's pushing 7000 miles today! Find a good deal, grab it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thunder
Have you ridden a Rebel without a windshield?
If so, was it better or worse than your bike?
Yes, I've ridden mine with no windshield, and frankly I prefer at least something to keep the wind off :grin2:my chest at high speeds. I started with more of a fly screen that put the wind under my helmet, but changed to a MRA Vario universal/adjustable. It puts the wind over my head, and I really enjoy that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its not a 500, but I have been thinking about selling my 300. It is enough power for within the city, but it is no fun on the highway. Too light and weak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was gonna sell my 500 earlier this summer too (less than 1000 miles!), as I was tempted to get a Monster a buddy was selling.
After giving it some thought, i I realized that I really didn't need a bigger bike. I mainly commute between Queens and Manhattan, and most of my "highway" riding is on the Grand Central and BQE. Decided to keep it, and just work on making her look cooler. Can't imagine an easier bike to ride around NYC short of a scooter. So glad I kept her :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lol. I did just the opposite. I sold my Monster when I moved to northern Michigan since the speed limit everywhere is 55 (closest 75 MPH freeway is 30 miles away). Riding the Ducati around here was like using a sledgehammer to hang a picture. My Rebel 300 is the perfect bike for 60mph or less and it gets WAY more love than the Ducati ever did. I have people follow me into gas stations and parking lots to ask me what it is and then "ooh" and "aah" over it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Fly,
I think there is a fair amount of people that purchase the Rebel as a first bike and after a few miles decide they need a bigger, faster bike.
I like my Rebel and I have been riding for 65 years, it is fast enough for me.
I did have to make one attempt to see if it would bump "The Ton".
Under normal conditions my limit is about 70 MPH.

Kenny G
Feel the same way too. Must be my age. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,119 Posts
I'm still waiting for the used Rebels to have both low mileage AND low price - doesn't seem to be happening very quickly.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What Kenny said. I felt the same after putting in a few thousand miles on the 2018 Rebel500, I wanted a larger faster bike. My friends convinced me to stick with the Rebel because the bike is waaayyy far more capable than my new found skills and confidence level. Boy was I glad I kept the bike. I like to push my limits and am not afraid to drop the bike in order to know what my limit is, in fact I've dropped it nearly a half dozen times and it's super cheap to repair because I work on my own repairs averaging $50 per drop. I would never dare to do this on a more expensive or larger bike.

There is a saying, "It is more fun riding fast on a slow bike than it is to ride slow on a fast bike." By no means the Rebel is slow. I max out at 100mph (161kph) on the highway, granted I removed the rear fender which is like 30lbs and I'm only 160lb lean.

Another reason is that the year is ending, and people are possibly looking to get 2020 bikes, or another used "bigger" bike from a guy who's going to get a new bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts