Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you give me your opinion of it? It's a very expensive kit, I'd like to know what to expect before ordering it. Does it allow adjustability of the brake and shift peg? Did it make a big difference in comfort? Can you compare it to the stock controls on a Honda Shadow? Does it feel strong, like it will last and take abuse? Did it affect the positive clunking of the transmission? Does it shift as easy as normal? Anything else you'd like to share?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had one. I sold it to another member here. Maybe he will comment. It is a quality assembly. It did affect my shift once in a while, as in the lever did not return. I can’t remember if the brake pedal was relocated but I do remember ordering a new pedal so I could re form it to fit me better. The forward position was comfortable but I missed the stock location sometimes. As part of the install the shift lever had to be located specifically and there was some wiggle room for location. It shifted as easy as normal and felt like an oem part. You could always have highway pegs made. I did and spent about 300.
BTW. They are made for the 500 but the member I sold them to fit them to a 300.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had one. I sold it to another member here. Maybe he will comment. It is a quality assembly. It did affect my shift once in a while, as in the lever did not return. I can’t remember if the brake pedal was relocated but I do remember ordering a new pedal so I could re form it to fit me better. The forward position was comfortable but I missed the stock location sometimes. As part of the install the shift lever had to be located specifically and there was some wiggle room for location. It shifted as easy as normal and felt like an oem part. You could always have highway pegs made. I did and spent about 300.
BTW. They are made for the 500 but the member I sold them to fit them to a 300.
Thanks for the info. The shifter sticking worries me. This bike is mainly for a completely new rider. Does anyone else who uses this kit have that problem?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Don’t mis understand. I had them on for a few months I’m thinking and I may have had a missed shift 2 or 3 times at the most and it’s always a WTF moment. I don’t mean to imply it’s a problem.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Can you give me your opinion of it? It's a very expensive kit, I'd like to know what to expect before ordering it. Does it allow adjustability of the brake and shift peg? Did it make a big difference in comfort? Can you compare it to the stock controls on a Honda Shadow? Does it feel strong, like it will last and take abuse? Did it affect the positive clunking of the transmission? Does it shift as easy as normal? Anything else you'd like to share?

Thanks in advance.
I have the forward controls on a 300, had to modify the shift lever since the controls are made for a 500. No mods for the brake lever side.
I also installed floorboards and heel toe shifter. Need to re bend the brake lever to a better location.
I got these used from a member.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the forward controls on a 300, had to modify the shift lever since the controls are made for a 500. No mods for the brake lever side.
I also installed floorboards and heel toe shifter. Need to re bend the brake lever to a better location.
That looks fantastic! Can you give me a lead on that toe shifter adjuster adapter thingy? I may need one of those.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That looks fantastic! Can you give me a lead on that toe shifter adjuster adapter thingy? I may need one of those.
The toe shifter adapter thingy is an adjustment arm for a KLR adjustable windshield, I had in the garage with many other bits and pieces I save.

But you can make one out a piece of aluminum and drill the holes where you need them and paint it black, I use Krylon Fusion satin black for most parts, dries fast and seems to last.

I have no complains about the forward controls, not sure about the T Rex floor boards. The T Rex heel toe shifter works well, I had to make a plate for the back to fit the forward controls, then all was good.

You and others should put your bike 300 or 500 in your signature. This would help with future advise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone ordered this just wondering what the ship time would be to the U.S.. I am planning on ordering either from the deprettomoto web site or from Amazon.UK. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have installed my Forward controls from De Pretto. Installation went pretty easy and only had a couple problems. I have the T-Rex engine guards and the peg on the shifter hits them, and there was no parts list for the washers and screws but was able to figure out that one easily enough. I had bought the T-Rex heel shifter but did not look at the description and did not realize it was for the 300 but It wouldn't have fit the forward controls anyway the shifter assy is way different. But I took the peg off the heel shifter and used it for now until I figure out how to get the heel shifter attached.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have installed my Forward controls from De Pretto. Installation went pretty easy and only had a couple problems. I have the T-Rex engine guards and the peg on the shifter hits them, and there was no parts list for the washers and screws but was able to figure out that one easily enough. I had bought the T-Rex heel shifter but did not look at the description and did not realize it was for the 300 but It wouldn't have fit the forward controls anyway the shifter assy is way different. But I took the peg off the heel shifter and used it for now until I figure out how to get the heel shifter attached.
The T rex heel-toe shifter is made to work on either the 300 or 500 stock foot peg mounts.
I made a bracket to make it work on the forward controls I put on the 300 that are actually made for the 500

·
Registered
12 Posts
That swivel bracket that yer toe peg is connected to did that come with the kit or did ya buy or make it, cause that is exactly what I need.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I’ve been thinking about it since 2017 and at the moment I think to keep original position of foot pegs and additionally instal highway rest pegs.

90% of my time I’m riding within a very busy city, filtering and going over speed bumps. Original foot pegs position is street, it allows to stand if it’s needed. With Rebel’s suspensions it’s needed quite often. By moving it forward I will loose that ability. I cannot possibly imaging standing on forward controlled foot pegs.

However on a motorway street position sucks. What’s why rest pegs will work better in that case, and you don’t need to shift on a motorway very often anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the forward controls from depretto, i used them for about 2600 km now. There were no problems, shifts right, all good, all was included in the package.

There are some things to consider:

- you will not be able to stand/lift yourself from the chair
- most engine guards who use that bolt under the radiator cannot be used as they get too close to the brake or gear shifter. Too risky to cut and all like in the pic above, in a hurry you still might push the guard instead of the brake;
- in case you have problems (drop the bike), it will be an expensive fix as they are custom parts, so you shouldn't do your learning how to ride with these on;

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have them, they were really hard to put on, took me like 4 hours (idk if I'm just an idiot), other than that I absolutely love them. They have worked perfectly for me never had an issue with anything sticking. I actually got in a small crash with my bike a month after getting them, it completely mangled my brake lever so i emailed depretto and they sent me new parts! pretty awesome, I'd get them again so far!

Also I'm 6'1" and they bring my legs to a spot i really like personally. I know some people on the forum complain of the position but to me it's not going to get any better. Also I feel like it has changed my turning angle a good bit, like I can lean a little more, not a typical characteristic of forward controls I know. Before putting on the forward controls i could scrap my pegs on a specific turn leaving my neighborhood about 7/10 times, now I can go through the turn about 5-10mph faster and I cant for the life of me get this thing to scrap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts