Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All!
So, it's about that time to buy my first motorcycle. I'm looking to buy a new 2020 Rebel. For the life of me I can't find any dealers within 500 miles of New York (Long Island) that offers either a 300 or a 500 with ABS. I can find non-ABS 2020's or 2017-19's with ABS. As a new rider I'm pretty set on the ABS thing. What's killing me is that the 2017-19's are the same price as the 2020's but without the major upgrades. It's looking like I'll need to wait till next spring. GGrrrr. - TEC

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've heard that when the covid hit, manufacturers stopped making and shipping motorcycles causing a shortage. You might just have to wait for the 2021's.

Reactions: TEC

·
Registered
221 Posts
This is pure speculation but I would guess they are trying to clear the backlog of older models first.

There is no shortage of the CMX500ABS in Europe - I saw four in one dealership shop last month - both the standard and custom versions. Maybe the EU is where most of the ABS bikes were exported? This would relate to the fact that new bikes over 125cc sold in EU countries must have ABS fitted by law.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is pure speculation but I would guess they are trying to clear the backlog of older models first.

There is no shortage of the CMX500ABS in Europe - I saw four in one dealership shop last month - both the standard and custom versions. Maybe the EU is where most of the ABS bikes were exported? This would relate to the fact that new bikes over 125cc sold in EU countries must have ABS fitted by law.
Interesting point. Thanks Sooty.

·
Super Moderator
1,293 Posts
Every dealer in my area just shows the full model lineup from Honda on their web page. They stopped showing actual inventory.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Every dealer in my area just shows the full model lineup from Honda on their web page. They stopped showing actual inventory.
Ya, same here. Wouldn't you think they would ship all of the 300's with abs as they are targeting the beginner rider? The wait continues...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can you have your local dealer order what you want? I wanted matte silver, non abs, 500 in 2018, dealer ordered from a warehouse a few states away, in less than 2 weeks and I had what I wanted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you have your local dealer order what you want? I wanted matte silver, non abs, 500 in 2018, dealer ordered from a warehouse a few states away, in less than 2 weeks and I had what I wanted.
Yea, I think that's going to be my next move. I still have 20 days (but who's counting) till I finally get my permit test. I promised myself I wouldn't buy one till I have my licence (have road test waiver from the MSF course). We'll see what kind of shenanigans DMV pulls on me with waiting to get my endorsement. I've also heard of dealerships having you put down a down payment, promising the bike in a short period then having to wait indefinitely. Patience is a virtue. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
221 Posts
TEC, don‘t be put off by dealer shenanigans. Honda have a world wide database. They know where every bike is and the database is available to all Honda dealerships. It’s not unusual for Honda to send a bike from one dealer to another if urgent. If it’s from the Honda warehouse or storage facility, they even know what time it leaves the depot for delivery to the dealer.

Draw up a basic email contract with the dealer stating a firm delivery date with a full refund of deposit if not honoured. The only reason they ask for a deposit is they don’t want a bike on stock that they may not be able to sell.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TEC, don‘t be put off by dealer shenanigans. Honda have a world wide database. They know where every bike is and the database is available to all Honda dealerships. It’s not unusual for Honda to send a bike from one dealer to another if urgent. If it’s from the Honda warehouse or storage facility, they even know what time it leaves the depot for delivery to the dealer.

Draw up a basic email contract with the dealer stating a firm delivery date with a full refund of deposit if not honoured. The only reason they ask for a deposit is they don’t want a bike on stock that they may not be able to sell.
Thanks Sooty, great advice!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Keep in mind it’s a supply and demand situation this year that has not been seen. Thousands of people buying bikes for the first time or getting back to riding again from being bored at home. Stimulus money = toy money for a lot of people. Factories that got shut down are not light switches that turn back on in a second.

I work at an auto dealer and some new vehicles are basically first come first served. Incoming vehicles are already sold weeks and months ahead.

I predict this fall and winter we will see lots of impulse buys for sale. Keep an eye out and you might find a nice used one for sale. That is how I got mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not to be a Debby downer, but....
New rider and new bike....... no good.
Get a very good used one that when you do drop, slip, slide the bike, and you will, it wont be a big thing!

I was on my way to take my cycle test many years ago. I was early so I decided to pull into a parking lot to practice some more.
Well there was fresh rocks, you know the kind that they spread so the cars can embed them into the asphalt, and yep, I went down.
I did pass the test though!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Get a very good used one that when you do drop, slip, slide the bike, and you will, it wont be a big thing!

I was on my way to take my cycle test many years ago. I was early so I decided to pull into a parking lot to practice some more.
Well there was fresh rocks, you know the kind that they spread so the cars can embed them into the asphalt, and yep, I went down.
Good point. I think I will never buy a new bike. There a usually sooooo many used bikes with less than 1,000 miles for sale from people that changed their mind or didn’t have time. Also a minor defect on a bike bought used doesn’t bother me as it would on a new. Finally I would hate to spend the money on a new bike and right away start spending more money on mods, upgrades, and accessories.

The only way I will eventually buy new is if I spend the 10k I need to and get a bike that I actually love stock but I am not ready yet. And that would be a CB650R, Ducati Icon Scrambler, or Triumph Street Twin. If I was rich I would buy all three

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Jdock, I couldn't agree with you more but... I live on Long Island and the pickings are slimmer here than other parts of the world. I've been scouring Craigs list and Ebay for something to beat up and in the end, it's cost efficient for me to just buy a new Rebel 300. Unless I want a 20 year old 1000cc plus bike (which I think would be a beginner mistake) or a crotch rocket there is nothing out here. I do plan on outfitting the bike with crash bars and sliders and have come to terms with it getting banged up. The difference of $3,000 for used or $5,000 for something new with all of the improvements (ABS, slipper clutch, suspension, LED) and a warranty is hard to swallow. Besides, this is my mid-life crisis, lol, and I think 5K is getting off easy! Thanks for the advice! - TEC
Here's an example of what I'm dealing with.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 500
41 Posts
You weren't kidding about your local craigslist. Lots of over priced and abused bikes. The only thing that looked like a good buy for a beginner was the CB300 @ $4000, and even that seems high considering its 300.

Lots of opinions about ABS - I can't argue the statistics that its technically safer, but I will say that in almost 30yrs of riding everything mopeds to 1000cc super sports I've yet to be in a situation that needed ABS. Now that does come with the caveat that on the road I've only ridden during optimal weather conditions and only caught in rain twice in the last 10yrs so that helps!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts