Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My opinion is:

PROS:
Not heard any exhaust that sounds just right for this bike, most other exhausts either sound really weak or (baffles removed) stupidly loud. The stock one gets it just right. Good deep sound without being overbearing.

CONS:
It just is plain ugly! Not like Honda to get it so wrong for so long.

But the bike overall is GREAT!

I would like the Honda sound with the LOOKS of the (seriously expensive and weak- sounding) Termignoni

My opinion FWIW anyway!

UPDATE:
Have purchased and installed the Termignoni silencer (I know, more money than sense馃槶馃槶馃槶)
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

BRILLIANT!

Registered
2019 Rebel 300A/2020 CB500F A
I don't disagree with you on the cons of being ugly.

But 300 or 500 ( i've heard them both in person) it just sounds extremely "wrong" for the look of the bike...sounds like a lawn mower or dirt bike or something...so underwhelming. This bike looks bold and aggressive, then makes a weak noise like that, it just doesn't fit IMO.

For me personally, riding is not a need...I don't need to use it for commuting or wtv. It's a hobby. I like the theatricals and drama and pops and burbles. I'm not doing it to annoy anyone or show off, I just enjoy the experience this way...but to each their own :)

I also have a lot of reservation on sounds that lower end aftermarket exhausts make. So I won't argue with you there, I agree.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi SC48,

YUP A HOBBY FOR ME TOO!
I think we are on the same page. Trouble with the aftermarket mufflers is they either sound high like a sportsbike which the Rebel is not or so loud and low, the neighbours complain. Despite trying to make the 'S' model more sporty (the headlight shroud) it is essentially a lightweight cruiser that are known for there lower base sound. Obviously we disagree but I wouldn't want the 'lawnmower' sound of a Harley. Personally I find the smooth low sound of the stock pipe Rebel very pleasing. Appreciate your input, tho 馃憤馃憤馃憤

UPDATE:
One thing I've discovered is that no amount of listening to exhausts on Youtube etc ever seems to give you the real sound. Or maybe I've just got a crap sound system 馃馃馃. Case in point is I never expected from the viewing I had seen that the Termignoni would sound so great! Almost a Ducati sound on acceleration and de-acceleration, but smoother. May be pricey but I'm happy I took the leap of faith!

Registered
I think the sound of the stock muffler is terrible! The Musarri with the baffle in sounds really good. I have it with the baffle out and it's not all that loud.

Registered
The stock unaltered exhaust is about as loud as a sewing machine. I guess if you're in the garage and no other traffic around you might be able to detect a resemblance of a low smooth sound. Before I installed my Musarri I punched out the interior of the stock exhaust with a piece of rebar, that did improve the sound a bit but still looked atrocious and always in the way when I wanted to jack up the rear end for chain maint.

Registered
2021 Honda Rebel 500
I think the sound of the stock muffler is terrible! The Musarri with the baffle in sounds really good. I have it with the baffle out and it's not all that loud.
Hi, I just installed Musarri. Had a bit of hard time tightening the clamp that came with it. I tightened the clamp as much as I could only to realize that the pipe is still moving. I wondered if tightening any further might break the clamp or damage/bend the pipe. I had not choice but tightened further hoping not to break it and I guess I reached a point where the pipe felt stable. Did you experience the same.

The sound though is really good.

Registered
Hi, I just installed Musarri. Had a bit of hard time tightening the clamp that came with it. I tightened the clamp as much as I could only to realize that the pipe is still moving. I wondered if tightening any further might break the clamp or damage/bend the pipe. I had not choice but tightened further hoping not to break it and I guess I reached a point where the pipe felt stable. Did you experience the same.

The sound though is really good.
Did you take the factory gasket off the end of pipe and replace it with the Musarri included gasket? Since you had trouble getting a tight connection it's very possible the Musarri gasket is thicker than the OEM. Kenny G has good advice on correctly installing this exhaust to include placement of the new gasket.

see this link

Registered
2021 Honda Rebel 500
Did you take the factory gasket off the end of pipe and replace it with the Musarri included gasket? Since you had trouble getting a tight connection it's very possible the Musarri gasket is thicker than the OEM. Kenny G has good advice on correctly installing this exhaust to include placement of the new gasket.

see this link

Thanks

Registered
My opinion is:

PROS:
Not heard any exhaust that sounds just right for this bike, most other exhausts either sound really weak or (baffles removed) stupidly loud. The stock one gets it just right. Good deep sound without being overbearing.

CONS:
It just is plain ugly! Not like Honda to get it so wrong for so long.

But the bike overall is GREAT!

I would like the Honda sound with the LOOKS of the (seriously expensive and weak- sounding) Termignoni

My opinion FWIW anyway!

UPDATE:
Have purchased and installed the Termignoni silencer (I know, more money than sense馃槶馃槶馃槶)
View attachment 31943

BRILLIANT!
Just saw this,
well the muffler, or silencer as we say over here, is a big spoiler for such a fun bike and was the first thing to go on mine.
and I think mine sounds just right!!!
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Registered
2021 Rebel 500
It is huge and ugly. Cars cannot hear me.

Registered
the only thing I don't like about it is I can't use my rear stand without taking off the muffler
that depends on your rear stand Keith. when i still had mine stock, i used a standard pit-style rear stand. the right side adapter i put on the outside and just put it under the muffler (with a towel in between to avoid scratches). It was plenty sturdy to lift the bike. left side still hit the swingarm

Registered
2021 Rebel 1100 DCT
It is huge and ugly. Cars cannot hear me.
It's worse than that. Me and my buddy got new bikes together, I got the 2021 Rebel 1100, he got a 2021 Indian Scout.

With my stock muffler and me in front, he cannot hear if I'm accelerating, engine braking, nothing at all. But I can hear his stock exhaust behind me, the entire time.

It's pretty unnerving knowing that anyone behind you can't tell when your automatic DCT motorcycle downshifts and loses 20 mph in a heartbeat just because you let off the throttle and don't have a clutch to pull to blip the throttle.

With the TBR pipe and the "silencer" installed, it's not much louder than stock at low or steady RPMs. I can't hear his bike at cruise now, but can still hear when he blips to downshift, or is accelerating up behind me. Also means I don't bother my neighborhood leaving for work at 5am, and with the DCT I don't have to rev it up at stop signs to get going.

But at WOT or engine braking, boy does it bark now.

Registered
Honda mufflers look like luggage. Ugly, bulky heavy luggage.
The stock muffler on my CB500X weighs 4.2 Kilos and was ugly as sin. I haven't been able to find the weight of the Rebel 500 muffler but I can't imagine it's much less.

Registered
Honda mufflers look like luggage. Ugly, bulky heavy luggage.
The stock muffler on my CB500X weighs 4.2 Kilos and was ugly as sin. I haven't been able to find the weight of the Rebel 500 muffler but I can't imagine it's much less.
I just can't seem to see mine when I'm riding, and I sing too loud inside my helmet to hear one.

Registered
OMG!!!
You all to realize that the bike makers have to go along with the laws out there about exhaust and how loud it can be!?!?!?!?!
There's also emissions laws, ect...
If you need to have your bike inspected every year you have to watch out for that as well!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts