Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy both, but would like to get some input on what you guys think it's more important. A gear indicator or RPM monitor?

Me, I think maybe RPM monitor because I heard it's important for the first 800-1000 miles that you properly break-in the engine and tranny properly to maximize the life of your motorcycle. I heard you have to keep it under 4000-5000 RPMs for the first several hundred miles to wear it down right. Also, you can properly monitor idling to make sure it's in the right range. I read that with the Rebels you shift based on speed, but overall when it comes to motorcycle you are more supposed to shift based on RPM for engine/tranny health.

Would really like you guys' inputs on which you think it's more important.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The gear indicator for me too. Revs can be monitored by feel easily because luckily the vibey engine begins to protest when it needs a higher gear. When running in, just keep away from the engine labouring at too low revs and away from the vibes I just mentioned - would be what I would do, anyway.

·
Registered
924 Posts
gear indicator. easily prevents phantom shifts, or guesswork. you don't "need" to know what the rpms are when you shift, you just figure it out after a few days riding

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gear indicator. easily prevents phantom shifts, or guesswork. you don't "need" to know what the rpms are when you shift, you just figure it out after a few days riding
what are phantom shifts? when you hit a pothole or big bump and it shifts up or down for you?

i guess i am more concerned about breaking in the engine properly to prolong the life of the motorcycle, that's why i believe the RPM gauge is more important

·
Registered
456 Posts
If some kindly rider on here who has a tacho would investigate and tell us the road speed for say 3000 engine rpm for each gear, we could all work out where we want to place limits. I tried and failed to obtain this information from Honda UK. Anyone? Please?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If some kindly rider on here who has a tacho would investigate and tell us the road speed for say 3000 engine rpm for each gear, we could all work out where we want to place limits. I tried and failed to obtain this information from Honda UK. Anyone? Please?

In 1-2 weeks I will be able to tell you. lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
Above -
"...we could all work out where we want to place limits. I tried and failed to obtain this information from Honda UK. Anyone? Please?"

WHAT?

Please tell me your not going to go by the manual for shift points?
You can shift into 3rd at 30 mph or 60 mph, it ALL depends on how fast you want to go!

I'll also put my vote in for gear indicator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Reactions: USAFJack

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like the gear indicator because then you know what gear you're in. The old Rebels 250 I looked at some time ago only had a neutral light, which I guess is better than nothing so you can release the clutch w/o having the bike lurch forward and die. I didn't buy it (used one) because on a road test I found the carb had a flat spot just off idle. I really didn't want to deal with it and so I figured that sooner or later someone will have a small displacement bike with fuel injection. Years later, I find that Honda released the Rebel 300/500 both with FI & water cooled. I went to the dealer and the 300 (no ABS) was my target because of the MSRP. When I asked what it would cost "out the door", I was quoted over $7K! That put a damper on that idea so I resigned myself to not getting one. There was no way I was going to pay $7K for a 286cc bike, even a Honda! (I paid less than $5K for a used Honda Fit which gives me 35 mpg and can haul a lot more than the bike and keep me a lot safer.) Anyway, now I have a chance to get a 300 ABS for around $3500 or so with under 300 miles on it. If it all works out, I'll be joining the ranks of Rebel Riders!

·
Registered
1 Posts
For me, both are important. At times, I want to know both RPMs + the gear. At other times, neither matter.

But when I what to know, I WANT TO KNOW.

It's a shame Honda hasn't made a factory standard cluster that includes a speedo / tach / gear indicator for the Rebel. Are you listening Honda ?...... analogue tach, digital speedo, digital gear indicator..... just do it !!! All the info needed is flying around on that computer bus.

If it was a factory replacement accessory, I'd eat it up.

·
Registered
229 Posts
For me, both are important. At times, I want to know both RPMs + the gear. At other times, neither matter.

But when I what to know, I WANT TO KNOW.

It's a shame Honda hasn't made a factory standard cluster that includes a speedo / tach / gear indicator for the Rebel. Are you listening Honda ?...... analogue tach, digital speedo, digital gear indicator..... just do it !!! All the info needed is flying around on that computer bus.

If it was a factory replacement accessory, I'd eat it up.
You can have both...not factory, but cheap.

Diagnostic Port Splitter https://www.hondarebel3forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12361

Check on Amazon for a Honda Idea Gear indicator. You can also get a tach pretty cheap. Requires no skill to install if you get splitter in thread above, and you can have both. I only have the gear indicator. With a loud exhaust, I'm fairly aware of where I am in the Rev range.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts