Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I installed an RLink GPS today, and once I got to the battery, it was pretty straightforward, or so I thought.

It's got three wires: red to hot, black to neg, and white to a "12 volt switched power source" -- this last is the one that is tripping me up. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help with...

First, what's the best way to go about finding a switched source? I tried looking at the wiring diagram, but when compared with everything they jammed under the seat, it wasn't much help. Any tips on where to find say, the tail light?

Second, RLink includes this caveat in their instructions: "If you are attaching the RLINK white wire to any LED light sources, LED lights may operate at a lower voltage and may not acknowledge you ignition is on." All of my Rebel's lights are LEDs -- any other options to tap into?

Following the instructions, I tapped a brown wire, which they said was Honda's go-to for tail lights. Alas, the unit isn't registering that my bike is on, so something's wrong. It could be that I picked the wrong wire, or it could be that the LEDs aren't running at a high enough voltage for this thing to work. Anyone run into anything similar? Any ideas?

BTW -- I know there's a battery tender discussion going on, and I've been skimming it to see if there's anything useful there. But it's veered off topic a bit and I think the LED issue here is unique enough that I felt the need to ask the specific question. Hope that's okay.

Thanks in advance!
Andrew

·
Registered
533 Posts
I tapped switched power wire to main switch connector (have to buy new connectors). You'll have to take off tank for that.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The 2020 models have a switched power lead in the wiring harness just under the speedometer that is easy to access....open up the taped section. In the 2017-2019 models this lead is located in the headlight shell on a 7.5 amp fused circuit with the fuse located in the fuse block under the seat/battery cover and labeled OP 7.5A. You'd have to check to see if your 2020 is fused/labeled the same. I don't have a wiring schematic for the 2020 models but the the wire color on previous models is Violet. You could also make a connection to this circuit under the seat by finding the Violet wire in the harness coming out of the fuse block.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2020 models have a switched power lead in the wiring harness just under the speedometer that is easy to access....open up the taped section. In the 2017-2019 models this lead is a 7.5 amp fused circuit with the fuse located in the fuse block under the seat/battery cover and labeled OP 7.5A. You'd have to check to see if your 2020 is fused/located the same. I don't have a wiring schematic for the 2020 models but the the wire color on previous models is Violet. You could also make a connection to this circuit under the seat by finding the Violet wire in the harness coming out of the fuse block.

Thank you!!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate it.

Oddly, as I was out for a ride today, the unit kicked on and now appears to be working. Maybe I accidentally did it right... in any case, this is super helpful and I might fix it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
First, what's the best way to go about finding a switched source? I tried looking at the wiring diagram, but when compared with everything they jammed under the seat, it wasn't much help. Any tips on where to find say, the tail light?

Thanks in advance!
Andrew
Was that a 2020 model diagram? If so could you send me a pdf file of it by private message?

·
Registered
10 Posts
i can see the 2020 is somewhat different to previous years. I am wary of messing with the wiring harness under the speedometer so I was looking to pinch a hot wire (when ignition is on) from any violet wire I could access from under the seat. I can see a big red switch connector (not sure what this is for) but would be my first option to see if it has a violet cable on it? so I don't touch the harness (at the left of the picture)?

my objective is to have some LED fog lights which I am trying to install, to come up automatically (ideally when I turn the high beams) with no installation of an on/off switch in handlebar). I will not mind for the LED to come up just with ignition. I ride with high beams and I will like to be more visible during the day (I do not ride at night) .
Of course will have a relay and fuse from battery...
Any suggestions?

under the seat rebel 500.jpg

·
Registered
344 Posts
i can see the 2020 is somewhat different to previous years. I am wary of messing with the wiring harness under the speedometer so I was looking to pinch a hot wire (when ignition is on) from any violet wire I could access from under the seat. I can see a big red switch connector (not sure what this is for) but would be my first option to see if it has a violet cable on it? so I don't touch the harness (at the left of the picture)?

my objective is to have some LED fog lights which I am trying to install, to come up automatically (ideally when I turn the high beams) with no installation of an on/off switch in handlebar). I will not mind for the LED to come up just with ignition. I ride with high beams and I will like to be more visible during the day (I do not ride at night) .
Of course will have a relay and fuse from battery...
Any suggestions?
power the fog lights off the battery with a relay and fused line

trigger the relay off the high beam circuit

·
Registered
10 Posts
RWS, Thanks for the prompt response.
Could you tell me how to trigger it from the High beam circuit? and where is that relay? is one of the picture below?
Should I pinch cable coming from pin 86 of high beams relay (once I find the relay) and connect this to pin 86 of new fog light relay??
relays rebel 500.png

·
Registered
344 Posts
RWS, Thanks for the prompt response.
Could you tell me how to trigger it from the High beam circuit? and where is that relay? is one of the picture below?
Should I pinch cable coming from pin 86 of high beams relay (once I find the relay) and connect this to pin 86 of new fog light relay??

there is no headlight relay

peel back the outer insulation on the 3 wire headlight connector harness in the headlight shell

White is low beam

Blue is high beam

Green is ground

tap into the blue wire and run it to the 86 terminal on the relay you are installing

Reactions: Jason-Short

·
Registered
10 Posts
I opened the wiring harness under the seat to find blue wire (high beam) or the ignition (red and R and Black). The blue is really skinny and the red and black looks higher capacity amps. The usage says 40 Watts so that is why I was thinking on taping the ignition switch cable. I also found a Pink and white but could not find it in the diagram (only have model 2018 diagram) Will that work?

Blue and red and blue wiring 500.jpg

Any thoughts

·
Registered
10 Posts
To get power to the relay (pin 30) I was going to use your previous recommendation regarding power to a battery tender....and pin 86 to ground

remove ground cable from battery (no need to remove battery cover...the negative cable is easily accessible )
remove left side cover
remove the socket bolt from starter relay that attaches the red cable from the battery
hook positive lead from battery tender harness to the removed socket bolt and tighten socket bolt
thread the negative lead from battery tender harness over to negative battery post and reconnect the ground cable

·
Registered
344 Posts
I opened the wiring harness under the seat to find blue wire (high beam) or the ignition (red and R and Black). The blue is really skinny and the red and black looks higher capacity amps. The usage says 40 Watts so that is why I was thinking on taping the ignition switch cable. I also found a Pink and white but could not find it in the diagram (only have model 2018 diagram) Will that work?

Any thoughts
The blue wire in the harness under the seat is not for the high beam....do not tap into it. The high beam circuit is only in the harness between left handle bar going into the headlight bucket and easy to access and tap into as I described previously.

The pink/white wire you are showing in your picture is actually violet/white and is a heavy 30 amp circuit for the ABS.

1. Power the relay 30 terminal with a fused line (fuse and wire rated per fog light recommendations) from the starter relay red battery terminal...you are installing your battery tender there so just add the relay power circuit too (why cut/splice/solder into the red/black ignition circuit in the harness?). Run a ground wire from the battery neg terminal to the relay 85 terminal (you will have the bolt out when putting the battery tender harness on anyway).
2. Hook the power lead for your fog lights to the relay 87 terminal. Run the fog lights ground wire to battery neg terminal.
3. tap into the headlight high bean circuit (blue wire) and run it to the relay 86 terminal.
note: if your relay has a 87a terminal shield it as it will be hot at all times except when your high beams are on

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry rws, i did not explained myself correctly. I already run a harness I bought for auxiliary lights from the two new lights to under the seat. I have there the relay and all cables (to battery, ground, fog light power leads and the one that goes to pin 86. This last one is the one that when energized will close the circuit in the relay and feed power to the fog lights. Correct?

to run the lights from the high beam circuit i would have to run a cable from pin 86 all the way to the front of the bike.
To avoid this is that I was thinking in connecting pin 86 to the red black ignition circuit. (via a positap)
I believe if i do this, my fog lights will turn on when I turn the key to ignition and stay on all the time until I turn the key off.
Will that work?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sorry rws, i did not explained myself correctly. I already run a harness I bought for auxiliary lights from the two new lights to under the seat. I have there the relay and all cables (to battery, ground, fog light power leads and the one that goes to pin 86. This last one is the one that when energized will close the circuit in the relay and feed power to the fog lights. Correct?

to run the lights from the high beam circuit i would have to run a cable from pin 86 all the way to the front of the bike.
To avoid this is that I was thinking in connecting pin 86 to the red black ignition circuit. (via a positap)
I believe if i do this, my fog lights will turn on when I turn the key to ignition and stay on all the time until I turn the key off.
Will that work?
My advice above was based on your original desire as stated "my objective is to have some LED fog lights which I am trying to install, to come up automatically (ideally when I turn the high beams)".

·
Registered
10 Posts
RWS was my bad! but finally got it working from the ignition circuit! could not have done it without your help Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
RWS was my bad! but finally got it working from the ignition circuit! could not have done it without your help Thanks!!!!
Out of curiosity what does the manufacturer list the total draw (watts or amps) for the fog lights you installed?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts