Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hopefully Puig or somebody else will come out with a stylish windscreen soon.
Be wary about Puig. I ordered the version for the rebel 500 and I had to send it back. First, the screws of the upper fork yoke are too long and so they are scratching the tank when handlebar is in full turn. Second, the mounting kit don´t match the windshield. It is simply falling off.
So I ordered another windshield from here:
https://www.dartflyscreens.com/collections/honda-rebel-cmx500
It is nearly as small as the original honda and it needs only mounting on the fork.
how do you like your dart flyscreen so far? i’m looking at buying one once i read a few more reviews from rebel owners specifically.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had my 300 for two weeks and almost 220 miles. Love lots of things but also think there are some major issues. The most annoying thing is the gearing. I don't know how many times I keep trying to up-shift into 7th (if there were one) only to find out that I'm in highest gear. They could easily have made the lower end gearing/ratios a bit further apart (don't really need to shift out of first at 10mph) so that the bike wouldn't sound/feel like it was close to maxed out (but don't really know 'cause there is no tach) when you're above 55mph.
The other issue is my own assumption ... I assumed it'd have a bit more umph than it does ... gutless is the best adjective. I just got off a 350 Honda twin and that thing was so responsive in virtually any gear and the Rebel 300 feels weak. Perhaps it is again the gearing because you're constantly changing gears and there isn't enough room between shifts to get any significant acceleration.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had my 300 for two weeks and almost 220 miles. Love lots of things but also think there are some major issues. The most annoying thing is the gearing. I don't know how many times I keep trying to up-shift into 7th (if there were one) only to find out that I'm in highest gear. They could easily have made the lower end gearing/ratios a bit further apart (don't really need to shift out of first at 10mph) so that the bike wouldn't sound/feel like it was close to maxed out (but don't really know 'cause there is no tach) when you're above 55mph.
The other issue is my own assumption ... I assumed it'd have a bit more umph than it does ... gutless is the best adjective. I just got off a 350 Honda twin and that thing was so responsive in virtually any gear and the Rebel 300 feels weak. Perhaps it is again the gearing because you're constantly changing gears and there isn't enough room between shifts to get any significant acceleration.
There have been times where I agree with what you are saying. I have the 500, and it’s been a few years since I’ve been on a 250, so I have to really think back to what a 20ish hp bike is like. However, I agree that the gearing is short. After break in, I started working the engine higher, and gears 4-6 have a pretty high ceiling to them. I know mine is a slightly over square twin so it revs more, but the single is no slouch either.

Maybe after your break in give the gears a shot and really wring them out. There’s no tach, but you won’t hurt anything either as long as you’re smart and don’t redline for an hour.

·
Registered
527 Posts
There have been times where I agree with what you are saying. I have the 500, and it’s been a few years since I’ve been on a 250, so I have to really think back to what a 20ish hp bike is like. However, I agree that the gearing is short. After break in, I started working the engine higher, and gears 4-6 have a pretty high ceiling to them. I know mine is a slightly over square twin so it revs more, but the single is no slouch either.

Maybe after your break in give the gears a shot and really wring them out. There’s no tach, but you won’t hurt anything either as long as you’re smart and don’t redline for an hour.
He's right on the money. Once my 300 was broken in I've been stretching the gears and don't feel like it's a slouch anymore. Once you break it in and adjust your riding habits to the new bike you'll be good

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
He's right on the money. Once my 300 was broken in I've been stretching the gears and don't feel like it's a slouch anymore. Once you break it in and adjust your riding habits to the new bike you'll be good

I agree, I think the gearing on my 300 is perfect and power is pretty awesome for a 300. I believe they geared it for a 300, intending the rpm range be used to it's potential.
The first ride on mine, i too looked for seventh gear. On my second ride i did it again, but this time i decided to see where i was really at in terms of the rev range, so i just went down two to 4th....found all the power i was looking for and realized i had really been short shifting the bike all along.
I was shifting into 6th at 45-50 mph, now i'm shifting into 4th at 45-50 mph. It is after all, a small displacement, water cooled, double overhead cam, four valve engine, revs are part of it's dna.

I would not trade my 300 for a 500 (and i have ridden both) if somebody paid the difference for me.
I chose the 300 based on more than just hp numbers, or cost.
The 300 is at least 40lbs lighter.
The 500 clutch cover is VERY intrusive and makes stops and right foot position a pain when riding. It was an existing engine in a new frame and in my opinion, not a good pairing without a clutch and cover redesign.
Most importantly to me (because i like to do things myself) i can just about wrap my arms around the single in that frame. Easy to get to almost all the components of the engine without having to remove a bunch of other stuff or have tiny hands. When i look at the 500, i see more hoses, more injectors, more wiring, essentially double the potential for a problem, and no room. The 500 is much, much tighter and i would not want to go to work on it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The 300 is meant to be ridden like you stole it. That single cylinder is a tough little bugger and meant to be revved high. This morning I was cruising along the freeway for quite some time at 80-85mph then ripping around the suburban streets like it's no one's business. I'd suggest you hold off on swapping sprockets till you get more accustomed to riding it

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 300 is meant to be ridden like you stole it. That single cylinder is a tough little bugger and meant to be revved high. This morning I was cruising along the freeway for quite some time at 80-85mph then ripping around the suburban streets like it's no one's business. I'd suggest you hold off on swapping sprockets till you get more accustomed to riding it

Yes!
You will lose even more acceleration with the sprocket swap. It will sound lazier, but it will also be lazier.
It may sound like it hates you at 65, but it does not, it is real happy there. It is just a matter of adjusting what you think it should sound like. it is a small single and sometimes it sounds rather busy, and it is, but it was also designed and engineered to BE busy.

Put a few more miles on it then take 2nd gear up till you bump the rev limiter. You really can't over rev it, the rev limiter won't let you. This will give you a feel for just how much room there really is, i bet it is a lot more than you think. There is also more power waiting for you up there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You know, I have to agree. 6th is a bit weird and after reading the 500 top speed thread about 5th being the sex gear, I have found the bike is quite a bit more eager than I originally thought. She's really growing on me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
For the Dart Screen: on the "classic" as I have, gusts und heavy winds transforms into buffets on your upper body. There are more turbulences around the head but they are lighter as the winds without any windshield. I speak about speeds from 60-70 km/h. Beyond you need no windshield at all.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Short resume after 4 months rebeling on the 500 CMX

On the plus-side:
The overall ergonomics of the bike suits me perfectly. I´m 168 cm tall (66,14 inches) and so I think this bike is made for around this sizes. Think, a very taller rider may have problems with the rebel.
Pure and simple without lacking modern basics like ABS (mine have ABS because new bike in europe must have them).
A lot of aftermarket gadgets. You can made the rebel up like a christmas-tree if you want. For my former bikes (Rebel 450 and Kawasaki Vulcan EN 500) there were nearly no aftermarket parts to get.
Good visibility because of the positioning- light function of the blinkers. (First I thought this was an electric malfunction!)
The essential parts seems in very good honda- quality. I mean the engine, suspension, frame, Tyres and so on.
The overall look of it!
And: easy to ride with a powerful character for a 500cc. (My old bikes in the same category were a good bit weaker as the Rebel).

The not so good side:
Some of the not-so-essential or easy-to-change parts of the bike are in very cheap condition:
Handlebar grips at first. Cheap and thin rubber. The housing of the dashboard, front foot-pegs. The rear brake lever; it seems like it is salvaged from an old honda dominator with its toothed triangle footpeg. And last but not least, this shoebox of a taillight.
One essential part is also not on the plus-side: the suspension. I have to watch like heck for also small potholes and worn out spaces on the road (from heavy trucks) to maintain a smooth ride.

Maybe, this is the concept of the "black canvas" of the rebel: rip off the cheap parts and mount better ones!
For the first, I get her a pair of new handlebar grips and at least a better rear suspension.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have heard, this is because of environment regulations. The filler neck has to be as small as possible to hinder gas emissions to get out of it. Beyond the filler neck there are some filter systems to catch the emissions in the tank, so they can not escape in free air.
My older bikes had filler necks, so big you could look in the tank and see the whole surface of the gasoline.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The 500 clutch cover is VERY intrusive and makes stops and right foot position a pain when riding.
It needed a little time, but I got used to this. In the beginning, I always bumped my shins on both pegs at stops. I have to place my feet a bit behind the footpegs at stops and it works smooth and good. So also the clutch housing is no more problem at stops.
When riding, i got used to a little asymetric seating position, left leg on the tank and right shin slightly on the exposed engine part. I think, they made the plastic cover over it to avoid the contact with hot engine parts in this position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It needed a little time, but I got used to this. In the beginning, I always bumped my shins on both pegs at stops. I have to place my feet a bit behind the footpegs at stops and it works smooth and good. So also the clutch housing is no more problem at stops.
When riding, i got used to a little asymetric seating position, left leg on the tank and right shin slightly on the exposed engine part. I think, they made the plastic cover over it to avoid the contact with hot engine parts in this position.
I've seen the right knee issue mentioned a few times.
I'd prefer to ride with my right (and left) knee gripping the tank and find the original configuration a bit of an embuggerance.

I recall seeing a post from someone who made a bracked to move the right peg and brake pedal forward a couple of inches.
Does anyone remember where that post was ?

This is my first bike for quite a few years and I really like the bike.

Regards,

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm coming from a Honda SilverWing 600 so here are my thoughts so far after 1 day and 75 total miles of riding:

I love the looks, it's tough looking, kinda resembles the HD 883. I like the riding position, very neutral and comfortable for me. I love that I can flat foot it and it seems to fit me just right at 5'10". The Swing was just a tiny bit cramped until I modified the seat. I've heard that the factory seat is hard and thin, the Corbin seat is comfy so far. I love the fat front tire, I caught the line from a bridge on the interstate and I think I may have gotten air. I love how fast it is, I have been riding a 250cc scooter since my Swing went away and passing on the highway with 20hp is very dicey. Yesterday on the Rebel a show horse trailer pulled out in front of me on the highway and I downshifted into 5th and flicked my wrist and boom I was past it and going 70. The air management seems extremely good, I have received very little buffeting so far, even when going over 85. (Interstate 840 around Nashville is Tennessee's Autobahn.) Not sure how the area of calm air right in front of my chest is created, some kind of design magic.

I wish there was a tach and gear indicator (I know everyone does.) I may need to add a gear light because I can't seem to count to 6 correctly, and I am very spoiled by CVTs. For the Tachometer I am really just curious how close I am to redline when accelerating but I don't really ride that way so I don't think it matters that much to me. I don't think I've come close to the rev limiter yet. I noticed the clutch cover on the right side intruding into my boot space, I will have to get used to that.

The biggest thing I miss is lack of storage, since it was so plentiful on the SilverWing. I'm not sure if a tail bag will work with the weird hump thing on the back of the Corbin seat. It's not for a passenger, and there's no rear pegs, so what is it for? Has anybody gotten a tank bag that works? Scooters don't have tanks so I have zero experience with them. I guess I see saddlebags in my future. For now I am using a Ogio zero drag backpack.

Thanks for reading, I'm enjoying the info on this forum so far. Thanks to all who contribute.
Duggle

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm coming from a Honda SilverWing 600 so here are my thoughts so far after 1 day and 75 total miles of riding:

I love the looks, it's tough looking, kinda resembles the HD 883. I like the riding position, very neutral and comfortable for me. I love that I can flat foot it and it seems to fit me just right at 5'10". The Swing was just a tiny bit cramped until I modified the seat. I've heard that the factory seat is hard and thin, the Corbin seat is comfy so far. I love the fat front tire, I caught the line from a bridge on the interstate and I think I may have gotten air. I love how fast it is, I have been riding a 250cc scooter since my Swing went away and passing on the highway with 20hp is very dicey. Yesterday on the Rebel a show horse trailer pulled out in front of me on the highway and I downshifted into 5th and flicked my wrist and boom I was past it and going 70. The air management seems extremely good, I have received very little buffeting so far, even when going over 85. (Interstate 840 around Nashville is Tennessee's Autobahn.) Not sure how the area of calm air right in front of my chest is created, some kind of design magic.

I wish there was a tach and gear indicator (I know everyone does.) I may need to add a gear light because I can't seem to count to 6 correctly, and I am very spoiled by CVTs. For the Tachometer I am really just curious how close I am to redline when accelerating but I don't really ride that way so I don't think it matters that much to me. I don't think I've come close to the rev limiter yet. I noticed the clutch cover on the right side intruding into my boot space, I will have to get used to that.

The biggest thing I miss is lack of storage, since it was so plentiful on the SilverWing. I'm not sure if a tail bag will work with the weird hump thing on the back of the Corbin seat. It's not for a passenger, and there's no rear pegs, so what is it for? Has anybody gotten a tank bag that works? Scooters don't have tanks so I have zero experience with them. I guess I see saddlebags in my future. For now I am using a Ogio zero drag backpack.

Thanks for reading, I'm enjoying the info on this forum so far. Thanks to all who contribute.
Duggle
you can get a fork bag and the side holster bags. I've never been a fan of the saddlebags but to each his own!

·
Registered
209 Posts
One thing I don't like about the rebel is the digital speedo, I would rather have a analog or needle type, not one that is flashing numbers all the time

41 - 60 of 70 Posts