Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Can't find much fault but I do have an issue with the filler neck in the fuel tank. Maybe just UK spec? But the hole is the exact size for just the tip of an unleaded nozzle which means it's really hard to see when it's nearing full
Just gotta go slow and steady, you don't wanna squeese the pump handle all the way :p
Besides, the tank hold around 11 liters from empty to full, so it doesn't take long anyway.
And you have the two breather holes above anyway don't you? So you'll notise when it's full or not, shouldn't come surpricing on you each time you fill it up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's just it, I DO want to squeeze it all the way. Why not? I understand you've worked around the problem but it's a problem for its own sake and that kind of thing annoys me a bit. Seems they've done this to stop donuts from inadvertently squeezing a diesel nozzle in there. So now we've all got to fill up at a trickle. Not for long though. That tank top will be getting cut out shortly. Same as I did on my speed triple....

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Dunf,

When you modify your fuel tank please take plenty of pictures.

I have learned to deal with the situation of trying to refuel with the engineered filler, but I would be the first to copy your modification.

Kenny G

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's just it, I DO want to squeeze it all the way. Why not? I understand you've worked around the problem but it's a problem for its own sake and that kind of thing annoys me a bit. Seems they've done this to stop donuts from inadvertently squeezing a diesel nozzle in there. So now we've all got to fill up at a trickle. Not for long though. That tank top will be getting cut out shortly. Same as I did on my speed triple....
I've never owned a bike where I can do a full squeeze at the pump. I think that might just be a *motorcycle* thing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lots to love about these bikes.

My biggest problems have already been listed too. The brick on the ass-end and waiting for aftermarket support are the biggies for me.

One last mini-problem. I still can't get used to moving the bike around. Whether I'm next to in or on it, I bang my ankles or shins on the footpegs. Every. Single. Time.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Lots to love about these bikes.

My biggest problems have already been listed too. The brick on the ass-end and waiting for aftermarket support are the biggies for me.

One last mini-problem. I still can't get used to moving the bike around. Whether I'm next to in or on it, I bang my ankles or shins on the footpegs. Every. Single. Time.
Oh man, thought I was the only one! lol
Everytime I'm at stop light I have to just let the weight of the bike rest against my ankle/shins. Unless I'm doing Jean Claude Van-Dam splits, those pegs are in the way.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
That's just it, I DO want to squeeze it all the way.
..... but why??
As I said, there is only room for 11 liters, IF it's compleately empty that is. So if you press the handle all the way then you'll end up with gas spilling out of the tank and ruining the paint and god knows what else..!
I really don't see the problem here... If it was a 50 liters tank and I had no option of pressing the handle all the way then I'd agreed.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Those really are nice looking bikes. Similar if/when you're ready to move up are the Triumph Speedmasters. I own one and it's a fantastic motorcycle.
*sigh* Yes it is.. <3 When it all comes down to it I'm most likely better of with getting the Rebel instead, with the other being a 100% China badge bike, but I still love the look of it..
The Triumph is quite similar, but for me there is one major difference, and thats the front of it. I love how the Rebel, and the bike in my pictures, have same sice wheels at the front and back, and that the angle on the stearing isn't the typical "chopper style" with long forks. I seriously can't stand that, hate it, hate it, hate it..!

·
Registered
17 Posts
dislike / like

Like: Wheels big enough to float over Boston potholes. After the Grom this still feels like magic.
Dislike: Being able to see my motorcycle when riding it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you can share a few things about your ownership of the Honda Rebel 300/500, what would it be? The most liked or hated, share them with every one I am sure you won't be the only one. :)
I hate the seat. Tempted to buy the Corbin seat but too pricey and I want to see first one with passenger seating.

I love the bike. No regrets.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Dislike: Being able to see my motorcycle when riding it.
Care to clarify this a little..??
I mean... Have you ridden a bike before that you didn't see while riding?!
Or is it a height issue, that when sitting on it you're looking straight into the handlebar/gas tank?

·
Registered
17 Posts
On the Honda Grom, everything is so low and you're so close to the handlebars, there's just nothing in your line of sight. The Rebel is one step further away from being able to fly. I'm glad I traded up, but I miss the feeling.

·
Super Moderator
999 Posts
Those really are nice looking bikes. Similar if/when you're ready to move up are the Triumph Speedmasters. I own one and it's a fantastic motorcycle.
I went past one of the 3 Thai factories the other week, didn't have time but they have visitor tours.
Shame though that anything iconic never stays in the west anymore.
Even Harley are building a factory in Bangkok.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I still absolutely still love the looks and feel of my Rebel 500. The seating position, and everything about it feels like I was born on it.

Yes the seat is not the best, but at some point I'll either visit an upholstery shop or buy an aftermarket seat when available. Like everyone else noted, aftermarket parts are laging.

Second issue is the wind blast at speeds above 60 to 65 miles per hour really seem to beat you up when cruising this bike around. The Midwest of the USA is brutal for winds. I've noticed crosswinds, headwinds, and gusts are very brutal when riding a lighter motorcycle. The Honda aftermarket windscreen is too small and I do not like the looks of it. Hopefully Puig or somebody else will come out with a stylish windscreen soon.

I have heard some people speaking issues of the Power Band. We must remember this is the same motor as the CB 500's have. So although the Rebel has good low end torque which is nice at lower RPMs, if you wind it up into the higher RPM ranges it will provide great acceleration and a lot more usable horsepower. Yes, I miss a tachometer!!!

Mine's a keeper for sure. I have a CB1100 that's awesomely powerful, handles the wind better, but is very heavy at a stop. The Rebel 500 is so much fun it's my everyday cruiser.

If you can afford the 500, over the 300, buy the 500. It's tame enough and won't wear thin too soon for lack of power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 500 and I like it for around town but that's pretty much it. I might end up trading it in for something a little better for interstate commute lol.

Pros: sounds nice, looks nice, it's a Honda!

Cons: tail light, the speedo/odo should take up the whole display IMO not just a little rectangle, no tach, no place to lock helmet, and most importantly (for me) is that the 5th gear is almost useless. I guess that was honda's adjustment after modifying it from cb500.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So, here a short report about my new rebel:

1) I searched a bike in the chopper/bobber style, because I´m a short rider and like to cruise.
2) I said, a 500ccm will be good enough, primary a question of affordable insurances.
3) I had a honda cmx 450 rebel before and after that a kawasaki en 500. The quality of honda is IMHO a lot better than kawasaki.
4) a lot of after market products available. On my old rebel 450, there where no parts to get, I had to made some parts for myself.
5) last but not least- it looks great! :grin2:

riding the honda:
+ easy going
+ balanced perfectly
+ powerful for its class and purpose
+ puristic handling (not to much unneccessary gadgets)

some minor disapointments:
- cheap rubber grips (easy to solve)
- somewhat weak suspension
- no proper knee/tank contact on the right side, because engine is in the way.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hopefully Puig or somebody else will come out with a stylish windscreen soon.
Be wary about Puig. I ordered the version for the rebel 500 and I had to send it back. First, the screws of the upper fork yoke are too long and so they are scratching the tank when handlebar is in full turn. Second, the mounting kit don´t match the windshield. It is simply falling off.
So I ordered another windshield from here:
https://www.dartflyscreens.com/collections/honda-rebel-cmx500
It is nearly as small as the original honda and it needs only mounting on the fork.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
they might be re-engineering the Puig mounting hardware, I tried ordering one a few weeks back, no distributor has it including 2 EU ones I tried, they all say July. so I ended up pre-ordering from Revzilla since there's was cheaper. if I don't like or the mounting still sucks like some described then i'll send it back.

·
Registered
182 Posts
After almost 5000km here are my likes and dislikes of the 500.

- Very easy for a beginner rider like myself to handle
- Low standover
- Enough power for me for now
- Easy to maintain

Dislikes:

- Stock headlight does very little at night
- Stock exhaust is huge and sounds a bit underwhelming
- Turn signals and brake light are massive
- I'd prefer a longer first gear
- Lack of gear indicator and tach

21 - 40 of 70 Posts