Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

The Rebel 300A is my first bike and so I started my adventure of grabbing Motorcycle Gear. I Wanted to know what people were sporting on their Motorcycles. As for me it's as follow.

Helmet:
Sedici Strada (Matte Black)

Jacket:
Speed & Strength Off the Chain 2.0 (Black/Orange)

Gloves:
Sedici Castro Gloves

Backpack:
OGIO No Drag Mach 3

Accessory:
Veglo Commuter X4 Wearable Rear Light

I'm still thinking about getting some Jeans / Boots. But at the moment I think what I wear would suffice, since I'm only plan on Commuting with the bike. They're your standard jeans and work boots. I'm a pretty big guy at 5'7" and 275 lbs so not everything fits me comfortably.

I guess my aim was to get a casual look with my gear since I'll be going to school/work mostly. Can't be changing gear all the time :wink2:.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Here in Norway you are required to wear full protective clothes to be allowed to take the driving courses.
By law you only need a helmet, but I still ride with full gear each time I venture on my bike. So boots, pants, jacket, and gloves are top notch Goretex gear.
I've seen my fair share of videos where people only have a helmet as their safety gear, and pays the price for it when they go down.
I don't know about the rest of you, but the skin on my a*s is supposed to stay there!

The summer is uppon us, so I will be investing in some lighter clothes, but they will still be with kevlar to prevent my skin from disappearing.
So then it'll be reinforced shoes (but normal looking), reinforced pants with kevlar (but normal looking), a skin jacket with reinforcement, and some simple gloves.

Safety first people, so don't go cheap on your riding clothes, there is alot of crap out there markeded to be mc clothes but wich doesn't hold up when it matters.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have an HJC full faced helmet (black and hi-viz yellow), armored jacket, can't recall the brand at the moment (also black and hi-viz yellow), Revit Canyon 2 leather gloves with knuckle armor and vibration dampening palms (black), and black leather riding boots. And I just wear regular jeans.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a new jacket and helmet, since I needed a break from black and like having alternate looks.

Helmets: Biltwell Lane Splitter (Flat Titanium) & HJC CL-17 Streamline (Black & Silver - love this helmet as much as my first $$$ Arai from when I first started)
Jacket: Rev'it Eclipse (Brown + Seesoft Back Armor), River Road Baron Mesh & Laughlin (for colder days)
Gloves: Street & Steel Brotherhood
Pants: Sliders Free Ride Jeans (Blue + CE Knee Armor inserts)
Shoes: Street & Steel Big Easy

I really like the Sliders jeans, so check them out if you're looking for riding jeans. I think they're exclusively sold at compacc.com. Just $99, include hip padding, and are made as well as riding jeans I've spent way more on.

Too bad it seems River Road doesn't make jackets anymore. I thought they made good quality & reasonably priced jackets, without the outlandish branding/logos & designs.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi, I just changed my Jacket and gloves for the hot summer season :

Helmet : Shoei NXR matte black
Jacket : Segura fresh brown
Gloves : Five Stunt Evo orange
Shoes : Regular sneakers, Adidas, Puma, Camper : I did not find any comfortable bike shoes
Jeans : Diesel, I don't know how they resist to falling down and I DON'T WANT TO KNOW!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Helmet: Summer - Daytona 3/4 Slim Line (BLACK) Fall/Winter - Speed and Strength SS700 (GREEN)
Jacket: Speed and Strength Midnight Express (BLACK)
Boots: Speed and Strength Moment of Truth (BLACK)
Gloves: Joe Rocket Eclipse (...BLACK).

Oh and my Rebel is...BLACK. God I need to add some color to be seen!! lol

·
Registered
814 Posts
Curious if anyone can help. I have a problem with heat. I get sick to my stomach when I am too hot, and I get hot very quickly. I am trying to find a jacket or a long sleeve pull over that has protection but is lightweight and breathable. And preferably in black.
My current jacket gets to hot even without the inner vest on really hot days for me to ride comfortably.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Curious if anyone can help. I have a problem with heat. I get sick to my stomach when I am too hot, and I get hot very quickly. I am trying to find a jacket or a long sleeve pull over that has protection but is lightweight and breathable. And preferably in black.
My current jacket gets to hot even without the inner vest on really hot days for me to ride comfortably.

Shorty,

I use this jacket here: https://www.revzilla.com/product/tour-master-sonora-air-jacket I picked it up in black for $140 on Amazon. So far ive ridden in 95f+ and 75+% humidity and it kept me very comfortable. It's got the armor in shoulders and elbows and a place for a back protector. It does get warm when you're stopped though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey there.

I just completed my riding course. New rider too. For the course, and road test exams you need full gear. As mention, once your on your own, wear whatever you like.

But I will put it out there, if you do a lot of highway driving, invest in a decent jacket and riding pants. Took a rock to the knee couple weeks ago. At 65mph, the rock was the size of a large bee, and let me tell ya, it hurt like ****. My knee was swollen for 3 days. Imagine if that was to your head, without a full face helmet.

·
Registered
712 Posts
What are you currently wearing? Any jacket is going to be warmer than wearing nothing... that said, there is a huge assortment of mesh jackets out there with various levels of armor included (or available).

And not to state the obvious, but you do realize that wearing black clothing is only going to absorb more heat from the sun, right?

·
Registered
814 Posts
What are you currently wearing? Any jacket is going to be warmer than wearing nothing... that said, there is a huge assortment of mesh jackets out there with various levels of armor included (or available).

And not to state the obvious, but you do realize that wearing black clothing is only going to absorb more heat from the sun, right?
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/product/scorpion-exo-torque-textile-jacket/033-10801-3.aspx

That is my current jacket. Yea I realize that about the color. For me the jacket itself is heavy to start with. But if I found a good lightweight one I would be open to different colors.

·
Registered
178 Posts

I wear a leather jacket from Harley Davidson, it has all the armour pieces throughout and comes with a removeable liner, as well, it has the waterproofing made into it. It gets very hot. Not so much as your riding, with all the vents open you get enough of a breeze to keep you cool and comfortable. But in slow moving traffic, or stopped, you'll start baking really really quick. I did my riding course this weekend past, and doing all the maneuvers in the parking lot, full sun overhead, I was soaked of sweat from my head to my arse. Even head the sweat running down my legs, looked like I pissed myself.

So problems with heat, get the tex fabric stuff with lots of vents. Armour pieces are hit or miss, some people like them some ppl find they get in the way.

One more thing - DON'T CHEAP OUT! lol. Your life may depend on the gear you wear. Actually it kinda does for the most part. lol.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I still wear vented leathers for their flexibility. I have a mesh Joe Rocket jacket with armor, but I do not like it and never wear it anymore. The reason is that it is not warm enough for riding at speed at night after the sun goes down and it cools off, even in the summer.

With the leather you can zip the vents closed and still be comfortable. For the heat of the day, open the zips, and wet your T-shirt. When I get hot, I just stop and wet my shirt, with a water hose, in a stream, or by pouring a bottle of water over my head. Then the wind through the vents in my helmet and jacket pull out the heat of evaporation like a chiller. If you overdo it, you can even find yourself shivering while wearing a leather jacket in 100 degree heat at 70 miles per hour.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My gear

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wear a leather jacket from Harley Davidson, it has all the armour pieces throughout and comes with a removeable liner, as well, it has the waterproofing made into it. It gets very hot. Not so much as your riding, with all the vents open you get enough of a breeze to keep you cool and comfortable. But in slow moving traffic, or stopped, you'll start baking really really quick. I did my riding course this weekend past, and doing all the maneuvers in the parking lot, full sun overhead, I was soaked of sweat from my head to my arse. Even head the sweat running down my legs, looked like I pissed myself.

So problems with heat, get the tex fabric stuff with lots of vents. Armour pieces are hit or miss, some people like them some ppl find they get in the way.

One more thing - DON'T CHEAP OUT! lol. Your life may depend on the gear you wear. Actually it kinda does for the most part. lol.
For our summers here in California I wear the Joe Rocket Mesh jacket which has armor on the back, elbows and shoulders and is so breezy it's like riding in short sleeves.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Scorpion EXO Torque Textile Jacket - Chaparral Motorsports

That is my current jacket. Yea I realize that about the color. For me the jacket itself is heavy to start with. But if I found a good lightweight one I would be open to different colors.
Just my opinion, but textile jackets are designed more for cooler/colder weather (especially considering that one comes with a removable thermal liner). For summer riding, I'd definitely recommend getting a good mesh jacket. Here's the one I have... Fly Racing CoolPro (mine's the black/yellow one). CE rated armor in the elbows and shoulders, PE on the back, but you can replace that with a CE pad if you want.

As for airflow, this thing breathes great. I have no problems riding 30 minutes home after work in 90 degree heat, though like anything, if you have to stop, it can get warm. It works well for cooler weather as well, depending on your preferred temperature... personally, I'd rather be cold than hot. This morning's temp was in the low 60's, so I just wore the jacket riding to work... a few weeks ago, when the morning temps were in the upper 40's / lower 50's, I added a zip-up hoodie underneath the jacket and stowed the hoodie in my backpack for the ride home in the afternoon. You can also zip in the waterproof liner, which would cut down on the colder air as well.. but I'd rather just add a hoodie.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Just my opinion, but textile jackets are designed more for cooler/colder weather (especially considering that one comes with a removable thermal liner). For summer riding, I'd definitely recommend getting a good mesh jacket. Here's the one I have... Fly Racing CoolPro (mine's the black/yellow one). CE rated armor in the elbows and shoulders, PE on the back, but you can replace that with a CE pad if you want.

As for airflow, this thing breathes great. I have no problems riding 30 minutes home after work in 90 degree heat, though like anything, if you have to stop, it can get warm. It works well for cooler weather as well, depending on your preferred temperature... personally, I'd rather be cold than hot. This morning's temp was in the low 60's, so I just wore the jacket riding to work... a few weeks ago, when the morning temps were in the upper 40's / lower 50's, I added a zip-up hoodie underneath the jacket and stowed the hoodie in my backpack for the ride home in the afternoon. You can also zip in the waterproof liner, which would cut down on the colder air as well.. but I'd rather just add a hoodie.
I do like that jacket. I am going to see if my local dealers have any mesh ones in stock so I can see what they are like in person before I decide. But it seems that is the best route, thanks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
This is the one I'm using. It's great because the sleeves are mesh and lets good airflow in throughout the jacket.
I've ridden it in 95+ degrees w/ 90% humidity Chicago weather and feels good.

I also just purchased an armored shirt ($50 on ebay). Haven't ridden in it yet, but fits well and feels pretty light. Has all the same armor padding as the jackets.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-and-strength-midnight-express-jacket

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-and-strength-rust-and-redemption-armored-moto-shirt?gclid=CjwKEAjwj6PKBRCAy9-07PeTtGgSJAC1P9xGgGw_qWlk8tJkiLvWzNxIN6_wC61b8SKy453_vznXABoCw47w_wcB

1 - 20 of 39 Posts