Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Kind of oil is better for the Rebel 500? GN4 or HPS4S full synthetic? Im close to the 600 miles on my Rebel 500 im not sure if i should go synthetic, but synthetic is "better" right? thanks!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Rasssec,

There is no doubt that synthetic oil is superior to dino oil.

All of the engine builders that I know do not recommend synthetic oil during the first 5000 miles.

If Honda is recommending dino oil and schedules oil changes at 8000 miles, or once a year, I am going to stay with the dino oil.

Kenny G

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rasssec,

All of the engine builders that I know do not recommend synthetic oil during the first 5000 miles.

If Honda is recommending dino oil and schedules oil changes at 8000 miles, or once a year, I am going to stay with the dino oil.

Kenny G
Any particular reason it is not recommended for the first 5000 miles?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Any particular reason it is not recommended for the first 5000 miles?
Apparently Synthetic Oil significantly reduces friction and regardless of how close modern tolerances are on engine building there is still some wearing in of mating parts required. With less friction the wearing in may never occur. It is above my pay grade to further explain this.

Most people are going to do what they think is right in their own mind and they think best.

Kenny G:D

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Apparently Synthetic Oil significantly reduces friction and regardless of how close modern tolerances are on engine building there is still some wearing in of mating parts required. With less friction the wearing in may never occur. It is above my pay grade to further explain this.

Most people are going to do what they think is right in their own mind and they think best.

Kenny G:D
If for one will listen to the recommendation from Honda them self.
At least, until other is proven better/more sufficient.

·
Registered
742 Posts
i'm sticking with GN4 when my turn comes around. it's mentioned in the book, and my dealer said the same thing. they made it seem like synthetic (with additives) could be more of a problem for the transmission since the oil lubricates both in our case.

·
Registered
172 Posts
GN4 all the way, I also think there’s no need for a higher performance oil since our engines are on the smaller side of the house and we are cruising, not racing hardcore off every acceleration stop and go all day everyday. I’ve also heard be careful with aftermarket oil filters cause each filter flows the oil at different rates and could lead to under or over lunrication which cuase mess your engine up over time. And never use regular car automotive oil. I hear they have way more friction reducing properties that’s not good for motorcycles. Which I was surprised how experts get to these down to a science. Cuase as a kid we never noticed a difference we would use 10w-30w automotive oil on my old Honda 50 , three wheeler 110, and old V twin 400 and never noticed a difference but since neither lasted the test of time and no longer have them guess there’s your sign. But they were fun while they lasted my childhood and high school times.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Rasssec,

Kenny G
The 5000 miles is probably the engine break in time. And is more likely in respect to bigger engines found in cars and trucks.

I believe this bike should be done with its break in around the 600 mile mark. I would think(not positive) changing to synthetic at this point would be fine.

The reason you don't use synthetic is that the synthetic lubes the engine so well that the engine doesn't wear correctly during break in. But on these smaller engines I would assume at the 600-1000mile mark you should be safe to switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts