Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1092 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Rebel 300 CMX300a
74 Posts
Try counter-balancing for low speeds maneuvers! They've helped me out A TON, when making U-turns and riding at lower speeds. It's totally okay if you drop the bike, I understand your concern as I myself feel the same way in regards to preventing anything from being damaged however! If you aren't doing anything crazy and just happen to drop it you should be totally fine! I've saved my bike from being dropped 3 times then one day I just couldn't save it annnndd it happened lol! If it makes you feel better too, there's a load of other options you have as well such as frame sliders, bark busters, rearsets, etc.
Definitely working on counter-balance. I have 30+ years of mountain biking and skateboarding experience, so in general, I have pretty good balance. I just have to figure out the physics of the extra weight of the bike and I'm sure I'll be fine. I can do the low speed u-turns, but I dont feel 100% confident with them yet. Hence the desire to practice until I can do them without thinking about it. However, right now the heat index is over 100 and practicing in full gear in that heat when you're basically at or near a stand still is unbearable. Hopefully we'll get some cooler weather soon.

I don't want to drop the bike cuz i dont want to have to fix what ever breaks when I do. LOL!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Definitely working on counter-balance. I have 30+ years of mountain biking and skateboarding experience, so in general, I have pretty good balance. I just have to figure out the physics of the extra weight of the bike and I'm sure I'll be fine. I can do the low speed u-turns, but I dont feel 100% confident with them yet. Hence the desire to practice until I can do them without thinking about it. However, right now the heat index is over 100 and practicing in full gear in that heat when you're basically at or near a stand still is unbearable. Hopefully we'll get some cooler weather soon.

I don't want to drop the bike cuz i dont want to have to fix what ever breaks when I do. LOL!
forsure, I feel it. All I’ve been doing is when wanting to turn left, I keep my left cheek on the seat while I shift my right one off the seat leaning into my knee with my torso allowing the bike to lean more to the left. Dandanthefireman explains it in more detail however that’s helped me a gist amount. Definitely understand riding in really hot weather is never fun! Although, I’d suggest going later into the evening which is always really fun because no ones usually on the road. But yeah man. I feel you on preventing anything from happening just keep in mind it will happen one day it’s just a matter of when as of now all you can do is add as many features to prevent injuring the bike.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Fitted a Pyramid Plastics front mudguard extender. Hopefully it will stop mud and crud being thrown up on the radiator. Went with the option of securing it with the included plastic rivets. Much more secure than the adhesive pads.

Now waiting for delivery of a wheel roller. Should be fun!

😸

·
Registered
74 Posts
How do you like it? Been debating on getting one.
I like it. I know there are some who say you shouldn't need one, and will just learn what each gear feels like, but for me, my struggle right now is trying to remember what gear I'm in when slowing down and come to a stop. There have been several instances where I sincerely thought I was in first, and ended up being in second. Doesn't work well when you're on a hill.

Besides, how are you supposed to learn what fourth gear "feels" like if you don't know you're in fourth?

The indicator and bracket was $28 total shipped from China. Well worth $28 IMO.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
199 Posts
I have a gear indicator on my bike. Helps to keep me from looking for that elusive 7th gear. LOL

·
Registered
74 Posts
(Technically this was last night but I didnt have time to post)
Added risers to my bars to get them back towards me. Haven't had a chance to ride with them yet, but it definitely feels like i'm not have to reach quite as far to get to the handlebars.

Interestingly, several people have mentioned that they didnt have to lengthen any cables to get them to work. Which is only sort of true, or at least in my case. There was no extra length in the front brake hose, so in order to use the risers without having to get a new brake cable hose, I had to move the master cylinder over by about an inch and a half. Not a huge deal, but something you should be aware of if you're looking to adding risers on a 2017-2019 CMX300a.

Ordered them from ZeedParts and they took about 2 1/2 weeks to be delivered.

Next up are adjustable levers and inverted mirrors.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just finished my first ride post-installing the risers. HUGE difference. Hands did not go numb nearly as quickly as before and I didn't feel like I was having to constantly lean forward to reach the controls.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Busy weekend. Technically this one was Thursday and Friday. New adjustable levers!

As a height challenged person, with proportionally-sized hands, the stock levers are a bit of stretch. It's hard to work on clutch control when the clutch engages right at the end of your finger tips. I've had the Honda adjustable brake lever on order for over a month. Another height-challenged rider suggested the MZS adjustable levers on Amazon. They seem to be identical to the hundreds of adjustable levers on aliexpress and ebay for $25 but were delivered in two days for ~$40. Quality-wise they're ok. There's a slight vertical wobble but not so bad that it bothers me at speed. My clutch control is much better now that the lever is more within reach.

Cutch

Brake

they're "shorty" levers but I can easily get three fingers on them.

Maybe everyone already knows this, but for those who don't and are looking to swap out the clutch lever, I found it easiest to squeeze clutch lever, and then put a clamp on the clutch cable holder and clutch lifter arm holding them in place. This allows slack in the clutch cable so to relieve the tension from the lever making it easier to remove. Plus your clutch cable is set to the exact same tension it was with the original lever instead of having to re-tighten everything back to where it was.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yesterday was my inverted mirrors project! Saw someone else with inverted mirrors and loved the look of it.

Went for a ride with them. Took a bit of adjusting to get them so I could see behind me correctly, but now that they're set, I really like it. It opens up your view quite a bit while riding. My only concern right now is that if I swing the handlebars all the way as far as they can go, the mirror arm boot and the edge of the mirrors do hit the tank (both at the same time). I think eventually I'll look into a different set of mirrors.

Last up, some LED lights attached to the outside edge of the mirrors, tapped into the turn signals. They are MUCH brighter than they look in the picture. I wanted to (hopefully) increase the visibility of the turn indicators. Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a really hard time getting the turn signals to turn off. I often will go to hit the switch after a turn but they flash indicator is still going. Hit the switch again, still going. And since I can't see the stock turn signals from the cockpit I can no longer tell which direction i need to hit the switch to reset/turn off. With them on the edge of the mirrors, now I can see which turn signal is on.

I still dislike the look/performance of the spitfire windshield.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just push button straight, and they'llgo off.
/me goes out to the garage to his bike
/me smacks himself in the forehead

Well now, don't I feel a bit sheepish? When the owner's manual said "Pressing the switch turns the turn signal off" i thought it meant to push it back to center. Yeah, pushing it straight is way easier. LOL! Thank you for this incredibly helpful piece of information.

I still like the way the LEDs look and hopefully will add some extra visibility to drivers around me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Went wild and tightened up 8 hexagon headed socket screws. That was enough for today. Went inside, had a cup of tea and wondered if Jack Kerouac would own a Rebel if he was alive today?

He’d no doubt reply:

”I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference.”

1061 - 1080 of 1092 Posts