·
Registered
138 Posts
I put on a Givi SR1160 on today.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
That CB1100 is drop dead gorgeous! Best ever naked muscle bike. I always wanted one but I just wouldn’t have the physical strength to move it around. Always loved bikes where you could put your hand straight through the back of the engine - unlike today’s compacted clutter bikes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A few miles late, but I just did my first oil and filter change, along with a chain cleaning in lube.

All that was in preparation for installing the t-rex racing skid plate that finally came back in stock.

I had been looking for an underbody/engine fairing for a while, but I wanted it to be more than just a flimsy plastic aesthetic piece. I obviously haven't had a chance to really test the protection, but the mounting feels quite sturdy so far.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
A few miles late, but I just did my first oil and filter change, along with a chain cleaning in lube.

All that was in preparation for installing the t-rex racing skid plate that finally came back in stock.

I had been looking for an underbody/engine fairing for a while, but I wanted it to be more than just a flimsy plastic aesthetic piece. I obviously haven't had a chance to really test the protection, but the mounting feels quite sturdy so far.
can you show some more angles please? i'm not sure about the boxy look, but I also have looked on and off for an underbody cowl and never find one that makes me want to punch that "buy it now" button

·
Registered
16 Posts
can you show some more angles please? i'm not sure about the boxy look, but I also have looked on and off for an underbody cowl and never find one that makes me want to punch that "buy it now" button
I didn't take very many at the time, and I'm not near the bike now. Are these helpful?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
@SkepticMech I just saw it on the manufacturer website the pix also. what i really want to know is where does it mount at the lowest/rearmost point on each side.
ie- the inside of the shifter/brake pedal/ footpegs. can't see if there are brackets, or what bolts are used (if any) to hold it there.
Thanks for the other pix also.
I do like the door they built in -assuming it's for oil change

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just saw it on the manufacturer website the pix also. what i really want to know is where does it mount at the lowest/rearmost point on each side.
ie- the inside of the shifter/brake pedal/ footpegs. can't see if there are brackets, or what bolts are used (if any) to hold it there.
Thanks for the other pix also.
I do like the door they built in -assuming it's for oil change
I'll try to remember to either scan the install pages, or at least add the link to their install video (not sure how helpful it is, didn't end up needing to watch it once I got down there with the hard copy).

There are 4 mount points; two mirrored on each side, all of which replace a stock engine mount bolt with a longer one to accommodate a bracket that holds the actual skid plate.

In the front, it uses the same mounting point as the horn; you can see the two large stainless bolts between the radiator and clutch cover.

In the rear, it replaces a long engine mount bolt that runs all the way through the frame. It is hidden behind the foot peg brackets, so those have to come off for the install. From those two brackets are added that hold the back in in place.

The end result is roughly an inverted table, with rotation points at each end of the legs. There is definitely some play in the position before you tighten everything down. I intentionally locked it in place somewhat down and forward of the maximum travel. My intention was to limit any potential part on part rubbing wear from the vibration, and offer a bit of a buffer if I do every ram it into anything.

Ultimately if I went full speed into anything solid, it is going to rock back into the rest of the bike, but between the non-symmetric geometry preventing a really smooth travel, and the way it hugs the frame, I think at worst it might slightly bend/flatten the exhaust pipes. Which would be a substantial improvement from them being completely destroyed, or having my engine case punctured.

And yes, the door is to allow an oil filter change. I did my oil swap first, so I can't speak to how viable it actually is to use, but I have high hopes. The rear side also has a cut out to allow access to the oil drain plug, but you'll probably need an extension bit to get a wrench in around it (unless you can jack the whole bike up enough to come in from directly underneath; my stands don't offer enough clearance to do that with my tools).

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'll try to remember to either scan the install pages, or at least add the link to their install video (not sure how helpful it is, didn't end up needing to watch it once I got down there with the hard copy).

There are 4 mount points; two mirrored on each side, all of which replace a stock engine mount bolt with a longer one to accommodate a bracket that holds the actual skid plate.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it

·
Registered
2017 Honda Rebel 300 CMX300a
74 Posts
Installed the rear seat from the rear passenger kit. Didn't have time to assemble and install the for pegs. Will have to do that tomorrow, or probably over the weekend.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Some Honda designs are weird. On the right side, where the silencer sits, the foot peg is held on to the frame by a bolt.

On the left side, instead of a bolt there are two lugs which have been welded on in order to hold the foot peg. Below is an empty 8mm hole. Odd?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Technically this was yesterday: finished installing the passenger foot rests from the passenger kit

·
Registered
74 Posts
Today's project was installing a set of crash guards. I know crash guards are a bit controversial, but I'm new to riding and have been focusing on my slow speed maneuvers. I've come close to dropping the bike so wanted the guards just in case I do. My plan is once I get better at the low-speed maneuvers, and feel pretty confident, I'll remove them. Picked them up from ebay for $60 shipped. No instructions so I had to figure things out myself. I've never seen any other brands' crash guards before, so I have nothing to compare them to but they seem fairly sturdy and are decently well-built.I definitely think they're sturdy enough to protect things if I drop my bike while practicing the low-speed stuff.

Without instructions, the install was... fun. I should write-up a how-to since I couldn't find any instructions on-line.

`

·
Registered
442 Posts
That crossbar seems too close to the radiator. A drop might damage the radiator wherein it. Wouldn’t get damaged if the crash guard wasn’t there . Just my opinion

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
199 Posts
that looks like a pretty substantial piece of metal but the mounting system seems much less so. I can see those mounts giving way if you ever crashed and like Pogi said damaging the radiator.
If all you want is a place to rest your feel on a cruise, OK.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That crossbar seems too close to the radiator. A drop might damage the radiator wherein it. Wouldn’t get damaged if the crash guard wasn’t there . Just my opinion
that looks like a pretty substantial piece of metal but the mounting system seems much less so. I can see those mounts giving way if you ever crashed and like Pogi said damaging the radiator.
It's similar in mounting and positioning as the H2C crashbars from Zeeds (pic from zeeds website):

It might be the angle of my photo, but the bar is about an inch from the radiator. From what I've seen, that's the norm.

If all you want is a place to rest your feel on a cruise, OK.
I want something to protect the bike just in case I drop the bike while practicing my low speed maneuvers (damn low speed, tight u-turns still get me), and other maneuvers knowing that the handlebars (and possibly exhaust) are still exposed. I'm not expecting these to provide any protection at speed.

Honestly, I don't like the way they look; i think they distract from the look of the bike. The Givi one looks better, but Givi responded to me and said it won't fit the 300. Once I feel more confident with some of these low speed maneuvers, I fully intend to remove them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's similar in mounting and positioning as the H2C crashbars from Zeeds (pic from zeeds website):

It might be the angle of my photo, but the bar is about an inch from the radiator. From what I've seen, that's the norm.

I want something to protect the bike just in case I drop the bike while practicing my low speed maneuvers (damn low speed, tight u-turns still get me), and other maneuvers knowing that the handlebars (and possibly exhaust) are still exposed. I'm not expecting these to provide any protection at speed.

Honestly, I don't like the way they look; i think they distract from the look of the bike. The Givi one looks better, but Givi responded to me and said it won't fit the 300. Once I feel more confident with some of these low speed maneuvers, I fully intend to remove them.
Try counter-balancing for low speeds maneuvers! They've helped me out A TON, when making U-turns and riding at lower speeds. It's totally okay if you drop the bike, I understand your concern as I myself feel the same way in regards to preventing anything from being damaged however! If you aren't doing anything crazy and just happen to drop it you should be totally fine! I've saved my bike from being dropped 3 times then one day I just couldn't save it annnndd it happened lol! If it makes you feel better too, there's a load of other options you have as well such as frame sliders, bark busters, rearsets, etc.

1041 - 1060 of 1092 Posts