Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First: there was no accident with me involved.
But today, my 4-weeks-old- Rebel was christened with some scratches and bumps, maybe to tell her: welcome to life! :laugh:

What happened? While I was in a shop, the bike was nudged in a parking lot by a motorist, keeled over and crashed on the pavement. The motorist preferred to take his fast run from the area. He vanished. >:)

Now I need a new brake lever and some paint for the exhaust. The brake lever has a huge bend and so I have a little pause with biking, because I don´t drive with a warped brake lever. It´s alloy and I know, this kind of metal may brake off immediately when forced too much. Also I have to install bar-ends.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If you want to try to straighten the cast lever just heat it with a hair dryer for a while. It doesn't take much heat to make cheap Asian alloys bendable.

Kenny G

·
Registered
199 Posts
Oh ****, exactly the same thing happened to me. To my luck, the motorist, who simply "didn't see the bike parked there, in a designated bike parking space", went into a convenience store to buy something. The proprietor noticed and immediately went out to the curb and drew his attention, and together they lifted the bike.

My bike has an anti-theft system that makes my phone beep every time it's moved, so I knew something was wrong and was there before the driver was able to take off.

Took some pictures, exchanged details, and he paid off for the damaged throttle grip and break lever, which were replaced the following day.

True, people suck, but distracted, oblivious, irresponsible drivers suck more!

Glad the damage is just paint and a few inexpensive parts.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My bike has an anti-theft system that makes my phone beep every time it's moved, so I knew something was wrong and was there before the driver was able to take off.

Glad the damage is just paint and a few inexpensive parts.

May I ask which system this is?

·
Registered
199 Posts
May I ask which system this is?
It's an Israeli system called ״Defender Pro". It's connected to a phone app and a 24h operation center and the company employs teams of recovery agents in case of theft, with a promise to refund 90% of the bike's worth in case of over 50% damage of failure to recover.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry to hear about that! What a tool bag for taking off. At least on a positive note, the damage is minor.

There's not too many places near me that have motorcycle parking, I always fear that someone is not going to see my bike in a crowded parking lot and smash into it thinking the space is empty.

-CG

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's an Israeli system called ״Defender Pro". It's connected to a phone app and a 24h operation center and the company employs teams of recovery agents in case of theft, with a promise to refund 90% of the bike's worth in case of over 50% damage of failure to recover.
I wonder if there is something similar in the United States?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before the rebel, I had 3 bikes and every one of them was overturned by motorists (in Austria, bikers call them "tin drivers"). That 3 bikes where all second hand and so a few scratches more don´t bothered me. All this automobilists vanished from the theatre.

But maybe its fate :wink2:: all my bikes where nudged and fell.
This honda is my first brand new one.
Years ago I had another brand new bike, but this was a moped with 50ccm and no real bike. But with this one happened something similar: I had it for 3, 4 weeks and one day the carburator was stolen and gas was spilled all over the street.:surprise:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Before the rebel, I had 3 bikes and every one of them was overturned by motorists (in Austria, bikers call them "tin drivers"). That 3 bikes where all second hand and so a few scratches more don´t bothered me. All this automobilists vanished from the theatre.

But maybe its fate :wink2:: all my bikes where nudged and fell.
This honda is my first brand new one.
Years ago I had another brand new bike, but this was a moped with 50ccm and no real bike. But with this one happened something similar: I had it for 3, 4 weeks and one day the carburator was stolen and gas was spilled all over the street.:surprise:
How Sad. Years ago I had a Honda Trail 110 and someone decided to light it on fire. It was in my carport and almost set the whole apartment building on fire.

·
Registered
929 Posts
There's not too many places near me that have motorcycle parking, I always fear that someone is not going to see my bike in a crowded parking lot and smash into it thinking the space is empty.
-CG
Agreed. I try not to pull all the way into a space so it's more obvious to cars sooner than later. so hopefully they don't just whip into the space thinking its empty and can't brake in time :frown2:

·
Registered
929 Posts
How Sad. Years ago I had a Honda Trail 110 and someone decided to light it on fire. It was in my carport and almost set the whole apartment building on fire.
what a complete douche. that'd be something you'd have liked to gotten on camera or something, so they could go to jail for arson, destruction of property or whatever..

·
Registered
527 Posts
Agreed. I try not to pull all the way into a space so it's more obvious to cars sooner than later. so hopefully they don't just whip into the space thinking its empty and can't brake in time :frown2:
I do the same. And if not in a hurry I'll park in the back of the parking lot away from the crowd. Could use the extra steps every once in a while too.

·
Registered
715 Posts
what a complete douche. that'd be something you'd have liked to gotten on camera or something, so they could go to jail for arson, destruction of property or whatever..
This was long before there were cameras everywhere and it was in the middle of the night.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts