Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Honda Rebel 500, 2018 and I’m looking for a stand that will allow me to do chain maintenance. I don’t imagine I’ll be using it for much more as I’m “mechanically challenged” and think it’s probably best I put my trust in a mechanic that knows what they’re doing.

My requirements are: safe/sturdy, easy to store/move, reasonably priced.

After doing my own research I purchased a Trackside Rear Paddock Stand for $60 from Cycle Gear: Trackside Rear Paddock Stand - Cycle Gear. I haven’t used it yet and I’m open to returning it if there is a better fit for my needs.

I took a picture of the stand with my bike as a reference: Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 5.56.49 PM.png

I just left Cycle Gear and the salesperson first off told me I would need spools to use the above Trackside stand (which I thought I wouldn't) and then after he looked at my bike in the front, recommended I purchase this utility jack: Amazon.com: Larin ATVJ-3 ATV/Motorcycle Jack: Automotive.

My questions are:
1) Will the above Trackside stand work and will I need spools to use it?

2) Is there a better rear stand out there that fits my needs? Doing some additional research it seems that Pit Bull stands come highly recommended.

3) Should I instead be looking at utility jacks or is there a better option?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought this rear stand for my 500 and lifted it with no problem at all. I bought it to clean and live the chain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought this rear stand for my 500 and lifted it with no problem at all. I bought it to clean and live the chain.
Thanks for the response! Would I need spools for this stand? I just posted this on Reddit at the same time and over there they're telling me I need or they highly recommend getting spools.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I picked up this "Trackside Rear Paddock Stand" from Cycle Gear, and it works just fine.
I am using the "pad" side placed just in front of the real wheel adjustment mechanism on the swing-arm.
I am not using spools.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The lift above would be a lift that DOES NOT need spools and where would the spools even hook up to?
cmshedd - the stand you reference DOES NEED a spool, as stated in their description.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The Rebel doesn't have anything under the engine that will let it use that large lift.
On the exhaust side those paddock stands tent to rub on the pipe. Use the adjustment holes to use the hole closest to the stand and then just cut off the unused part of the pad shaft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts