Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done any research on warranty and whether it's affected by mods?

I'm looking at doing some fairly simple, standard stuff - new exhaust muffler, new rear fender, change the handle bars, maybe add fork boots...nothing major and pretty much all bolt on stuff.

The question is, if I do some (or all) of these am I going to have a problem with the dealer if I have issues that would be covered by warranty? I might just be being cynical but I feel like if they have a way out then they'd take it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for a company to void your warranty for use of aftermarket parts, or refuse warranty repair, unless they can prove those aftermarket parts are the cause of the problem.

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

That's great to know, thanks for the info.

I'm sure some dealers will still try to claim the warranty is voided so knowing this is great. My dealer was awesome on the sales side and I will be using them for servicing, just never sure how they react to customization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have often been told by dealers to hang onto the factory exhaust system and reinstall it when going to the dealer for warranty work.

Kenny G

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was told that once you change the exhaust to an aftermarket one the warranty is void on the engine, but that's where I live.

Am I right in thinking you're in Thailand?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have often been told by dealers to hang onto the factory exhaust system and reinstall it when going to the dealer for warranty work.

Kenny G

Good idea...from the looks of most of the treads it's about a 10 minute job. What customizations, right?!

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I recently checked this with my dealer actually, and they said that I can basically do whatever I want in regards of cosmetics on the bike, included slip ons too, without it voiding the warranty.
But start tampering with the engine itself or it's electronic systems, then I'll be breaking the warranty.
But that's here in Norway thou, so don't go nuts on your bike thinking that anything goes...

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I was told that once you change the exhaust to an aftermarket one the warranty is void on the engine, but that's where I live.
Huh, I suspected it to be the same for me here in Norway, but the first thing the dealer said was "The first thing most people change on their bike is the slip on, but that doesn't void the warranty on the bike"
You'll have to alter or change something diretly on/with the engine itself for it to void it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recently checked this with my dealer actually, and they said that I can basically do whatever I want in regards of cosmetics on the bike, included slip ons too, without it voiding the warranty.
But start tampering with the engine itself or it's electronic systems, then I'll be breaking the warranty.
But that's here in Norway thou, so don't go nuts on your bike thinking that anything goes...

Appreciate all the answers!

Figured I'd email my dealer to see what their reply would be, I'm in South Carolina, USA...they basically said the same as this. I can do anything I want, but if they (Honda) determine that an engine fault or failure was caused by an accessory then they wouldn't cover it under warranty. I think for now I'll stick to minor / cosmetic customizations...leave it a little longer before doing anything major!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts