Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After waiting 4 months for Honda to ship me the sissy bar with back rest I ordered, I decided to search for a near fit that I could easily modify. I measured my Rebel 1100 and then searched on Amazon. I found a Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 sissy bar that looked promising. I paid $98 plus tax and received it the next day. It is a perfect fit. The holes lined up exactly with the 1100s holes. The back rest is situated just right. The only thing I see that isn't perfect is the package tray has a slight downward tilt. I think the metal could have been a little thicker but it feels good and solid. I posted a video on youtube.

ADDENDUM:
The downward slope of the package tray bothered me to look at, so I removed the top/most rearward bolt on each side, raised the tray to where it is levelt, gently clamped it in position, drilled holes through all 3 components, and re-inserted the bolt. Looks much better. Easy to do. Took about 15 minutes.

I got it from Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088GPWV23/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So if you want a sissy bar with back rest and package for about 1/3 the price of Hondas', try this.
Bicycle part Composite material Font Carbon Fashion accessory

·
Registered
'21 Rebel 1100, '15 CTX 700
98 Posts
I finally did get my Honda rear seat & backrest, but the seat's too small and the backrest really should be back at least an inch or more. Combined with the exhaust being too high, which forces the passenger footpegs to be to high, I think I'm looking at major mods to get this bike usable for my wife & I.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally did get my Honda rear seat & backrest, but the seat's too small and the backrest really should be back at least an inch or more. Combined with the exhaust being too high, which forces the passenger footpegs to be to high, I think I'm looking at major mods to get this bike usable for my wife & I.
I agree, the passenger area seems to be an after thought by Honda. I also think Honda should have put a USB outlet by the dash instead of under the seat.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT and 2012 Yamaha FZ8
176 Posts
Corbin seat! That's partly why I got mine. Passenger sits much higher on it.

Thanks to the op for finding out about the luggage rack! I wonder if any saddlebag stays or other things would work too?

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 1100 DCT
53 Posts
I agree, the passenger area seems to be an after thought by Honda.
The manual literally says the 1100 was not designed for carrying a passenger, but has capacity to with additional accessories.

Does that bracket look like it can be reversed to have a rider backrest, and the rack over the fender?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The manual literally says the 1100 was not designed for carrying a passenger, but has capacity to with additional accessories.

Does that bracket look like it can be reversed to have a rider backrest, and the rack over the fender?
I assume that Honda means that it doesn't come with a passenger seat and foot pegs but you can buy them to add on. Also, I don't think you can reverse it to use as a back rest for the driver. I don't think the thick frame behind the drivers seat would allow that, at least not without modification.

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 1100 DCT
53 Posts
I assume that Honda means that it doesn't come with a passenger seat and foot pegs but you can buy them to add on. Also, I don't think you can reverse it to use as a back rest for the driver. I don't think the thick frame behind the drivers seat would allow that, at least not without modification.
Thank you. I assumed I would need to drill an extra hole in the side plates in that kit, but never considered interference of the seat frame hoop.

The Rebel 1100 comes with rear seat and pegs everywhere except the US market. Maybe they just assumed we're all too fat?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. I assumed I would need to drill an extra hole in the side plates in that kit, but never considered interference of the seat frame hoop.

The Rebel 1100 comes with rear seat and pegs everywhere except the US market. Maybe they just assumed we're all too fat?
Maybe, but I think they knew we would fork over the extra money to buy them. (and we do ! LOL)

·
Registered
2021 Honda CMX1100 DCT
120 Posts

Is the Max Weight allowed is 350 lbs guess you both better be lightweights for 2 up ..

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, they don't give you a lot of room for adding weight. But in order to be capable of carrying more weight, they would have to make the frame, axles, tires, etc all bigger and beefier to handle the extra weight which would also raise the price of the bike. Also, I can remember a time when a 200 lb person was considered very large. Not anymore!

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 1100 DCT
53 Posts
I wonder how this will work with the saddlebag mounts. The OEM sissy bar replaces the spacers needed for the side mounts.

Probably will just need some extra washers.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder how this will work with the saddlebag mounts. The OEM sissy bar replaces the spacers needed for the side mounts.

Probably will just need some extra washers.
I don't know. I have since received and installed OEM Honda seat, back rest, luggage rack and both saddlebags. There are 2 lugs on the side of the Vulcan S sissy bar to attach something to. You can see them between the polished screws in the top photo.

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 1100 DCT
53 Posts
I don't know. I have since received and installed OEM Honda seat, back rest, luggage rack and both saddlebags. There are 2 lugs on the side of the Vulcan S sissy bar to attach something to. You can see them between the polished screws in the top photo.
I couldn't find the OEM one for sale anywhere. I bought some aluminum tubing in the same diameters as the bracket spacers that I'll just cut down to fill the space as needed.

I like that there are additional mounting points on Vulcan one that I'll be able to put something to lock the bags to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts