Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my buddy vinyl wrap it this weekend to give it a splash of color. I had the black rebel and the black on black was just too much black in my opinion. I really wanted the red rebel but beggars can't be choosers. I wanted to liven it up a bit and help me be seen a little better. I previously added the DePretto forward control kit to give me a little more leg room (I'm 6'1"). I am happy with the way everything turned out (for what I paid).
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Not sure how long it will last. He had never done a motorcycle before and he didn't take the tank off so he had to do it in two pieces. There is a seam where the knee indentions on the tank are. Also, since it was the black one, the Honda wings sticker is below the clear coat so there is an outline of this when you get up close. I bought two matte black honda wing stickers off Etsy for $6 that I'll probably place over these areas at some point.
I just wanted to see how I like it - and I do. So once it starts coming off, I will probably take it to the big city and find someone who knows more about wrapping motorcycles. But for the price, I'm very happy.

· Registered
8 Posts
Not sure how long it will last.
My local wrap guy tells me that a good quality semi-gloss film will last 5-7 years. I have 2 pieces of thicker 3M clear film on the bottom part of my tank (to prevent my jacket press studs scratching the paint) and he reckons the top part that that my jacket wears on will last 3-5 years, but the lower bit near the seat will last double that due to it's location.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My local wrap guy tells me that a good quality semi-gloss film will last 5-7 years. I have 2 pieces of thicker 3M clear film on the bottom part of my tank (to prevent my jacket press studs scratching the paint) and he reckons the top part that that my jacket wears on will last 3-5 years, but the lower bit near the seat will last double that due to it's location.
I used 3M. The vinyl wrap itself feels very solid. I keep mine in the garage and out of the sun except when riding so I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted that long. My concern is that he had never done it before and had to use two pieces on the tank (it is already starting to come up at the seam slightly - I just pushed it back down but it has a little wave at the edges). But the vinyl wrap itself looks very much like a solid piece. That is a good idea about the clear film.

Anyway, I'll roll with this as long as it lasts (and again, I mean the film staying on due to the application) - and I'll also learn how the film reacts to different things (gas getting spilled on it, different rub spots, etc.). I'll know more when I get it done the next time. But I am impressed with the feel and solidness of the vinyl wrap (just wish the tank was done in one piece).

Do you have a picture of your bike wrapped?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts