Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I use my Rebel for daily commuting to/from work, so luggage is a must. I'm not a big fan of the stuff out there with fringes, studs, and whatnot.. I wanted something more modern and sleek. So, I took a chance with the Viking Lamellar Hard Saddlebags and have to say I'm extremely happy. Not only does the glossy black complement the bike extremely well, but it works beautifully for my purposes.. they both lock and there is plenty of room; I've used them daily for a month and haven't had any issues. (Sorry that the picture is crap.. I was in my dark garage).

It wasn't difficult to install, but I couldn't follow the provided instructions exactly and had to get creative (that's probably my only "garage" strength.. being creative). It took a couple of trips to Home Depot for the right size metric screws (the ones they provided were way too big) and in the end, their longest wasn't long enough.. had to get from Amazon. I also had to drill through one of the dome head screws because I stripped it trying to get it out - it was in so **** tight and would absolutely not budge! But in the end, they've attached securely and work like a charm. My only meh about them is that they had to be installed a little higher than ideal because I didn't get the ones with the shock cutout - didn't want to compromise space.

I know they aren't for everyone, but if you need luggage like me, this is an option until more stuff comes out. FYI - the soft bag between the saddlebags is a different bag from Burley.. which I installed without a rack (I just wrapped everything around the spacers for the saddlebags.. you know, being creative ;) ).

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All, I bought a set of these with the shock cut outs, and I havent installed them, I find the backpack good for 95% of the time. I passed the return period. Please message me if you are looking for a set, I will give you a better deal than the store and they are brand new never installed.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also want to install saddlebags for my commute, but I'm struggling to figure out if they'd fit my work computer in them. Do you think a 13-14" computer would nestle in, or would I be better off sticking with a backpack?

·
Registered
Rebel 500
17 Posts
indiRaven,

I’m close to pulling the trigger on the Viking hard bag myself. Looks great on your Rebel. Do you know if there is clearance for the passenger pegs if riding 2-up? Someone said that the Viking hard bag obstructs the peg so it’s unusable. What do you think? Also I’m thinking of getting the quick change brackets from Great Bike Gear. I’ve seen that installation of the Viking bags can be a challenge for some. Am wondering if the quick change brackets would be an easier install. Thanks indi. Love the handle by the way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also want to install saddlebags for my commute, but I'm struggling to figure out if they'd fit my work computer in them. Do you think a 13-14" computer would nestle in, or would I be better off sticking with a backpack?
RebelRouser500
My Dell laptop does not fit in my Viking saddlebags, not by a long shot.
But mine is an older, larger laptop.
I am thinking that the newer smaller laptops would fit.

Some general notes:
The top opening is 12"x6", and about 12" tall.
The overall shape is a parallelogram.
I can fit one bag of groceries in each bag.
The two knobs to close the flap are a bit of a pain, I would get a belt buckle type of closure next time.
For me, installing the bags was a two man job.
Finding the right spot and angle of the bags and spacing from the rear fender loop was the biggest problem.
I am pretty happy with the bags and would buy from Viking again.

Honda Rebel 500 Spear Shock Cutout Motorcycle Saddlebags
List: $259.99
Discount: $67.60
Shipping: $24.99
Tax: $17.39
Total: $234.77

Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_02.jpg
Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_03.jpg
Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_05.jpg
Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_06.jpg
Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_07.jpg
Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_10.jpg
Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_11.jpg
Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_12.jpg
Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_14.jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_15.jpg
Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_02.jpg Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_03.jpg Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_05.jpg Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_06.jpg Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_07.jpg Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_10.jpg Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_11.jpg Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_12.jpg Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_14.jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Honda_Rebel_Viking-bag_15.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts