Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals,

I posted a video on the YouTubes of my top 5 likes about my Honda Rebel 300...it's a short video, I promise. Let me know what your thoughts are and what you like about your ride. I'm finishing up my dislikes video, so I'll have that up in a few days. But for now, let's discuss...

·
Super Moderator
1,409 Posts
You have great 'presence' in your videos - very watchable. There are lots of great moto vlog videos on the youtubes. Might be something to consider. It's cool to some to watch someone else riding around their neighborhood on their favorite loop or their commute. Just an idea if you are looking for something to video.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have great 'presence' in your videos - very watchable. There are lots of great moto vlog videos on the youtubes. Might be something to consider. It's cool to some to watch someone else riding around their neighborhood on their favorite loop or their commute. Just an idea if you are looking for something to video.
Thank you so much! I am in the YouTube motovlog game for the long run...so yeah, you're right, I will definitely produce videos like that. I want to show Brooklyn, warts and all, because I love this borough.

As for this video, I made it specifically for this forum and for anyone that might be interested in the Honda Rebel 3 or 500.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Haha, did you put a memo note on the gas tank? lol! :p

Nice video and list thou ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Good point on design and its probably why i have seen more hands-on owners going for the new Rebel. 1/2 the owners I know have a garage with a generous amount of tools for servicing.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
both vids are easy to watch and informative as you say (even if i don't agree on all points) :)

my only question is about your riding style, why do you pass cars in the same lane? ie-pulling up to a traffic light or whatever. you'd get ticketed for doing that around here in 2 seconds.

·
Registered
902 Posts
both vids are easy to watch and informative as you say (even if i don't agree on all points) :)

my only question is about your riding style, why do you pass cars in the same lane? ie-pulling up to a traffic light or whatever. you'd get ticketed for doing that around here in 2 seconds.
That is a common riding style here. I don’t do it all the time but there are riders that do. Here in California lane splitting is mostly legal. I say mostly because there are limits. The way Ryan rides is not illegal here and it is much safer than waiting behind a line of cards.

If you’ve ever been to Rome it’s funny to watch as a little scooters move up to the front at the light but when the light turns green they are overtaken by the cars and at the next light they do the same thing.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Great video. Just wanted to say to things.
1. As far as gearing goes. Most people hate the gearing on these bikes, along with their CBR and CBF counterparts. First gear is so short that when at a stop light if I then go to make a left hand turn I feel the bike is ready to shift in the middle of the turn. And really the second gear is just to short as well.
Now I will say this is a big enough problem for me to not like the bike. But I have had several other bikes before this, and this by far has the worst gearing I have used.

2. Engine braking. I agree with you on this one. I use engine braking like all the time and this bike is very easy to use with it. But I just wanted to warn of one thing when engine braking. Remember to use either your hand or foot brake as well. You don't have to do it enough to engage the actual brake, but enough to at least engage the brake light. Otherwise cars and other riders won't always pay enough attention to the fact that you are slowing down.

I do like the rest of your video, my Rebel 500 is my favorite bike that I have owned.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Great video. Just wanted to say to things.
1. As far as gearing goes. Most people hate the gearing on these bikes, along with their CBR and CBF counterparts. First gear is so short that when at a stop light if I then go to make a left hand turn I feel the bike is ready to shift in the middle of the turn. And really the second gear is just to short as well.
Now I will say this is a big enough problem for me to not like the bike. But I have had several other bikes before this, and this by far has the worst gearing I have used.

I do like the rest of your video, my Rebel 500 is my favorite bike that I have owned.
Everytime I make a left hand turn w/ the Rebel 300 I'm shifting to second mid turn.
I'm relatively new to bikes and have only ridden small/light bikes. Is this a bad habit that will have negative outcome if done on bigger bikes?

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Everytime I make a left hand turn w/ the Rebel 300 I'm shifting to second mid turn.
I'm relatively new to bikes and have only ridden small/light bikes. Is this a bad habit that will have negative outcome if done on bigger bikes?
It's not really a bad habit per say, since you have to learn the bike you're riding. So the riding way/style you've got on the rebel will not work on a say a big HD or something like that.
Besides, bigger bikes tend to have way longer stretch on the first and 2 gear.

·
Banned
247 Posts
Generally speaking yes, changing gears mid turn can increase the likelihood of losing traction and throwing out the rear wheel. I know lot of people that do it, and have no issues, but I personally would call it a bad habit as it is specifically called out in MSF and State Moto Driving manuals that you should shift before or after a turn and not during.

But to each their own, I'm not trying to tell anyone how to drive as I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule. I just wanted to point out that 'technically' it's considered a no-no.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If you’ve ever been to Rome it’s funny to watch as a little scooters move up to the front at the light but when the light turns green they are overtaken by the cars and at the next light they do the same thing.
I saw exactly that when I was in the UK on vacation. all the motorcycles passed every car to sit in front of the line at traffic lights.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
First gear is so short that when at a stop light if I then go to make a left hand turn I feel the bike is ready to shift in the middle of the turn.
that's exactly the way I feel and I hate to shift in the middle of a turn, so usually have to draw out first until the turn is complete, or if i'm not the lead vehicle at a turn i have time to shift just before leaning.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The biggest problem is traction. Shifting can cause you to lose traction during a turn. And as said before you won't really have the problem on a bigger bike since you wouldn't have to shift until a higher speed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts