Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really love the sound of Vance & Hines exhaust. The only thing thats keeping me from getting is because of panniers (SH36 from Shad). See attached images
. I have about an inch or so clearance between the V&H exhaust and the pannier. Is this okay? Really dont want to give up my panniers but I do love the sound of the V&H exhaust. Im thinking if I could get a heatshield tape to cover the pannier.

My bike with panniers vs the vance & hines stock photo.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Two brothers racing have a low mount slip on exhaust as,well as the upswept design like V&H Maybe it would give you more clearance? It sounds pretty great too, Ill be getting one soon, Good luck!

·
Registered
703 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
It appears from the photos that the Vance and Hines would be about 2-3 inches in front of the lower corner of your bag. That isn't much room for exhaust gases to dissipate.

·
Registered
703 Posts
rough overlay of V&H muffler
blue - radiant heat source
red - direct heat source

your bags would look to have enough clearance for radiant heat from the muffler shell but the flow of the exhaust discharge will melt the plastic

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello. I have V&H, and I have the Shad SH23. I did exactly as you did, same questions and all.

It does point to the bags... kind of. The exhaust is not exactly at this direction, as you are seeing just sideways. It is not build as the original when you look in the back of your bike.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive lighting Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motorcycle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Hope this helps, I know they are not the same model, but maybe close enough.

After riding with it for a while, that area is not very hot - It gets a lot of airflow to cool down any type of temperature.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
42 Posts
My first thought seeing this, is couldn't you get a mid pipe that would make the V&H more horizontal like the stock muffler?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have very strict laws in my country, and being able to convert it back to original quickly is important to me. I like the way it looks now though, although for me the best looks are very straight pipes, but one day Ill get those when I buy an Harley :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts