Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made my first big mod today to my 2018 Honda Rebel 500. Installed the Vance and Hines exhaust. I snagged one off of eBay about a week ago! Not disappointed at all. Sounds like a completely different bike! Hopefully my neighbors still like me...
Install was simple. I'm not a very mechanical person and it took me 30-40 minutes.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Made my first big mod today to my 2018 Honda Rebel 500. Installed the Vance and Hines exhaust. I snagged one off of eBay about a week ago! Not disappointed at all. Sounds like a completely different bike! Hopefully my neighbors still like me...
Install was simple. I'm not a very mechanical person and it took me 30-40 minutes.

View attachment 31458
niceee. Love mine too. Got mine from eBay. my fav mod on my rebel so far. Just love the low rumble . I’m sure neighbors don’t mind it’s not obnoxiously loud right. Lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
niceee. Love mine too. Got mine from eBay. my fav mod on my rebel so far. Just love the low rumble . I’m sure neighbors don’t mind it’s not obnoxiously loud right. Lol
  1. Yeah it's not obnoxiously loud. Plus my neighbor has a huge Harley that shakes the whole neighborhood. Lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
I dunno man. I just got it and I'm literally afraid to take it out again. The first time I revved the engine I thought there was ANOTHER BIKE behind me!

Anyone know of a baffle that works or am I just being a bitch about this

·
Registered
440 Posts
There’s no baffle. I sold mine and went back to stock. I liked it on local roads but hated it on the freeway. Gave me headache. maybe with a quality helmet , you’ll get used to it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I dunno man. I just got it and I'm literally afraid to take it out again. The first time I revved the engine I thought there was ANOTHER BIKE behind me!

Anyone know of a baffle that works or am I just being a bitch about this
Earplugs! Why choke the sound with baffles, plug your ears instead and let the world know you're coming. Seriously, I found earplugs (Pinlock) cut wind noise in the helmet, tone the exhaust, but I can still hear. How those Harley guys ride without hearing protection is beyond me.

I had a 500 with the TBR exhaust, baffles did tone it down but I preferred the unbaffled note.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Earplugs! Why choke the sound with baffles, plug your ears instead and let the world know you're coming. Seriously, I found earplugs (Pinlock) cut wind noise in the helmet, tone the exhaust, but I can still hear. How those Harley guys ride without hearing protection is beyond me.

I had a 500 with the TBR exhaust, baffles did tone it down but I preferred the unbaffled note.
Thanks for this. I'm kind of self conscious. I'm in New York and everyone is a little sensitive about things. I might switch to the TBR and silencer. I got used to slipping around the city relatively unnoticied.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There’s no baffle. I sold mine and went back to stock. I liked it on local roads but hated it on the freeway. Gave me headache. maybe with a quality helmet , you’ll get used to it.
I'm feeling you. I heard the TBR has a baffle/silencer. I found the stock wasn't giving me the look I'm going for. Hopefully I can resell it.

The TBR is more expensive and the the silencer is another 80 bux. But right now, I have an appointment on the Upper East side of Manhattan and I'm not going go brrrraaaapping up there waking up rich old ladies at noon time.

But I really appreciate the message, because I thought I was being crazy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Scorpion makes a nice sounding exhaust for the 500.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did anyone over here have any issues with your Rebel 500 after installing the V&H exhaust? I installed mine and loved it on the first ride after the installation but since the installation, I have been experiencing some issues. When I pull the throttle to increase my speed between gear shifts, the bike pulls back on me and looses power. It is as if it is having some issue with the air intake or something. If I pull the throttle with the clutch lever pressed, it gets better but starts acting up again in a bit. It was intermittent at first but now its happening on every ride. Is it that my bike needs a tune up after installing the V&H exhaust slip on?
Any suggestions or trouble shooting tips will be helpful.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Did anyone over here have any issues with your Rebel 500 after installing the V&H exhaust? I installed mine and loved it on the first ride after the installation but since the installation, I have been experiencing some issues. When I pull the throttle to increase my speed between gear shifts, the bike pulls back on me and looses power. It is as if it is having some issue with the air intake or something. If I pull the throttle with the clutch lever pressed, it gets better but starts acting up again in a bit. It was intermittent at first but now its happening on every ride. Is it that my bike needs a tune up after installing the V&H exhaust slip on?
Check that you don't have a major air leak right where the slip on attaches to the header pipe (last point where you took the original exhaust off). I had to put some exhaust seal paste after installing my exhaust, and it's quite common for a leak in that spot after a muffler swap. That's the only thing I can think of that could be the issue if everything else is the same pre and post mod.

You do NOT need a retune with a slip on. I'm coming on like 7 or 8 thousand kms with my slip on, and it's been fine.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Did you recently adjust the play on the clutch lever ? Seems like a clutch issue

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500
59 Posts
Check that you don't have a major air leak right where the slip on attaches to the header pipe (last point where you took the original exhaust off). I had to put some exhaust seal paste after installing my exhaust, and it's quite common for a leak in that spot after a muffler swap. That's the only thing I can think of that could be the issue if everything else is the same pre and post mod.

You do NOT need a retune with a slip on. I'm coming on like 7 or 8 thousand kms with my slip on, and it's been fine.
Yep I second this advice. You do not need to tune up a slip on exhaust change unless you changed out the entire exhaust and I dont think many people do that to rebels. I have the same slip-on on my bike and have zero issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I think that could be the reason as I haven't done any mod's on it other than just the slip on installation. I did not apply any sealant and I believe that is what I missed. So the exhaust seal or gasket seal are both the same things? Do I need to look for any temperature specific sealant considering the exhaust header pipe can achieve high temperatures when it is running.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think that could be the reason as I haven't done any mod's on it other than just the slip on installation. I did not apply any sealant and I believe that is what I missed. So the exhaust seal or gasket seal are both the same things? Do I need to look for any temperature specific sealant considering the exhaust header pipe can achieve high temperatures when it is running.
A simple high temp sealing paste did the trick for me. I applied a little bit right around the "rim" or lip where the new pipe would fit onto and reaches the end...youll notice a little lip there where it will stop. I also applied a little more paste to the actual gasket (on the inside) before tightening it. Full disclosure, the paste did eventually harden enough that it started cracking, so I simply applied a little more.

I have an actual red tape style sealant (not a heat wrap) that you can wrap the affected area and heat cycle to cure it on securely...seems like a more long term solution, but I never bothered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A simple high temp sealing paste did the trick for me. I applied a little bit right around the "rim" or lip where the new pipe would fit onto and reaches the end...youll notice a little lip there where it will stop. I also applied a little more paste to the actual gasket (on the inside) before tightening it. Full disclosure, the paste did eventually harden enough that it started cracking, so I simply applied a little more.

I have an actual red tape style sealant (not a heat wrap) that you can wrap the affected area and heat cycle to cure it on securely...seems like a more long term solution, but I never bothered.
I think the issue is exactly like SC48 advised. I started the bike and tried to feel with my hands to check if there is any gap where any air is flowing from and yes I could feel it. Another few seconds into it, I could see the exhaust oil residue starting to leak from the joint where the slip on lip fits onto the header pipe. I checked the OEM exhaust and that one actually has a gasket installed on it on the inner side of the lip and the V&H slip on does not have that by default. I will be working on applying the sealant and re-install it over the weekend. I also came across another discovery that there was some oil in the crankcase breather tube which has a plug on it. On doing some research people are recommending that one should always leave the crankcase breather tube unplugged. Any advise on that. I have attached pictures of both.

20201014_122942.jpg 20201014_122949.jpg Screenshot 2020-10-14 124505.jpg

·
Registered
337 Posts
That doesn't look good at all...jeez. I never noticed anything dripping out like that. The floor under the exhaust is always clean. Where is this oil coming from, why, and more importantly, where is it going to end up once you seal it correctly...? :unsure:

RE crankcase breather: the manual recommends you drain it at 6400kms...I didn't do it yet, but the quantity of residue has been the same. If you leave it open, it will leak on your garage floor or anywhere else you have it parked...

Anyway...here's what I got to seal the exhaust clamp. I didn't bother with the red stuff, but wanted to have it on hand just in case. Pretty cheap and easy fix.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts