Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not finding any discussions about checking the 500 cc bikes valve clearances, here, or in the engine section.

Hasn't anyone ridden 16K miles and done their own valve clearance check?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
16k miles, when these bikes have only been on the market since May of last year?

Not likely.

Or at least not at all common...
I did expect a few uncommon riders here, and they are usually the ones who do their own maintenance as well. Y'all have had most of two summer riding seasons......

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yea I don't think I have seen anyone on the forum do one yet.
I assume it is no different than doing it on a cb500x. Remove gas tank, remove cover. Check clearance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping that it would be easier.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm pretty sure that @Showmeguy66 has done that many miles.
I am indeed a smidge over 16,000 but this is not a task I am willing to DIY. If you feel you're ready to open up the head then go for it, but I will be heading to the shop for this service. I also see no signs that anything is amiss here. It fires right up, idles fine, not making noise isn't smoking...I will have it checked, just don't see the urgency to hit it at 16K on the nose.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am indeed a smidge over 16,000 but this is not a task I am willing to DIY. If you feel you're ready to open up the head then go for it, but I will be heading to the shop for this service. I also see no signs that anything is amiss here. It fires right up, idles fine, not making noise isn't smoking...I will have it checked, just don't see the urgency to hit it at 16K on the nose.
Yea, it's true, bike shows no sign of malfunction, runs fine, no backfire, maybe, maybe not very smooth idle (this could be nature of a beast also- will see in spring). But this could do damage in long run i.e. burnt valves and there's when the fun stops...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Why would the valves get tight with mileage?

Kenny G
If I would know, but I read somewhere, that Honda went too tight on valves in very beginning with this motor (well before our Rebels) and that they already adressed this issue. But as we see in my case this could still be issue and that skipping of valve check at 24000kms is not good idea at all!

·
Registered
371 Posts
If I would know, but I read somewhere, that Honda went too tight on valves in very beginning with this motor (well before our Rebels) and that they already adressed this issue. But as we see in my case this could still be issue and that skipping of valve check at 24000kms is not good idea at all!
I did read your tutorial great job, very thorough. What I noticed though was your exhaust clearance was actually still within spec and the intake was 3 hundredths of a mm too tight. (roughly the thickness of a human hair) I'm not too worried! You also seemed to go into this service a tad early based on the manual recommendations. You obviously have the skills, time and place to do this work, most people will not! Don't get me wrong, the more intimate you are with you machine the better and more power to you for being that hands on! FYI one reason your air filter seemed extra dirty is the media is infused with an additive to actually catch and hang on to the dirt particles as opposed to the old paper type you could just bang it on your hand and knock most of it off.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Showmeguy, I could partially agree with you, especially at valve part, I've seen too many burnt valves and seats that I could feel comfortable with findings in my motor. Like Kenny, me too did as much maintenance stuff on all my vehicles, and am still willing to learn- it's some kind of joy to tinker with my motorisation. And on the other hand- if you see at the dealer that junior mechanic want do dig front end of your bike with lash wrapped over yout speedo, huuh, I can destroy my bike too, even at no cost:frown2:. They didn't earn my trust at that point, and secondly, Friday I ordered missing shims and all they did, was mail in my incoming acount "sorry, you didn't provide us catalogue numbers for ordering parts" VTF, I did send you those data, please read mail again and open attachment, please. And answer "...huuh, sorry didn't see it, will order for you today" Agrrrrrh, unnecesary few days delay... Or it's part of the game- you didn't bring your bike to us, so wait...

·
Registered
119 Posts
The clearances after time become smaller and if left to long the valves wont seat against the head fully and that is how you hear about burnt valves.
Noisy engine/valves good, quiet engine/valve bad.
The correct clearance will allow for extra space and therefore more noise.

Having said that there is NO NEED to get the job done right at 16,000 miles.
Burning a valve would be like having one out of spec for many, many, many miles.
It wont happen over night. Its not a case that you need to get it done RIGHT NOW kind of thing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
AND there is no difference in the way the engine runs or the performance of the bike
You cant ride down the road and notice, oh my valves need adjusting because ...
Only the miles ridden and the number given in the manual as to when the valves should be checked.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One reason that I would encourage folks to do it for themselves is that normally the shop mechanics only change shims that are out of spec.

My exhaust clearance was a hair tight and the intake clearance was a tad above of the minimum clearance. I changed all of the shims two sizes (0.050 mm) to have them all at the loose end of the spec range.

The good news is that you do not have to pull the camshafts and mess with the timing chain tensioner. It is a fine winter project, just take notes and photos to help with reassembly. That is my CB500XA below:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts