Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I originally wanted to mount a USB charger like Neil Braybrook did (https://www.hondarebel3forum.com/forum/601-what-did-you-do-your-2017-honda-rebel-today/12151-custom-usb-charger-setup.html) but what was open space on his bike has some plumbing occupying it on mine, perhaps the difference between an ABS model and not.

I thought about Honda's Accessory Socket but I didn't want to have to plug in an adapter everytime. So then I thought about making a bracket like theirs but using the USB socket Neil did. The more I thought about that though, the more I wondered if the thin plastic hinges on the cover would tear from wind drag in that exposed location, especially when the plug was in use and the cover was flapping loose. I decided I wanted a mechanical, spring-loaded cover. I found a waterproof outlet from SGconn that seems to be perfect.

Finally, the handlebar mount on the RAM X-Grip I use to hold a phone when I need a navigation device makes it bulky, so I wanted to have a different solution for that.

I ended up taking the drill and jig saw to a piece of metal I had in the shed to make a bracket that had both the SGconn outlet and a ball mount for a RAM X-Grip. It took about fifteen minutes to make and a day to get it powder coated.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably make the bracket more curved for aesthetic reasons but, for practical purposes, it's perfect for my needs. I guess it looks fairly big in the closeup of the speedometer below but it's actually quite unobtrusive to anyone but the rider.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Can you post a picture with your phone in the ram mount. 馃槑

Here you go. I don't have it plugged in because I ordered a 6" right-angle USB/Lightning cable; the cables I have around the house are too long. That should arrive later this week.

I like that the mount fits easily into my swingarm bag now without the big lower piece.

Attachments

Registered
I think you did an amazing job with the bracket and layout, and I鈥檝e heard ram mounts work best but to look at it I would think that doing a constant 50-60mph the wind would push the phone back toward rider on the ball joint.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I think you did an amazing job with the bracket and layout, and I鈥檝e heard ram mounts work best but to look at it I would think that doing a constant 50-60mph the wind would push the phone back toward rider on the ball joint.
I haven't really found that to be true, although I don't use a GPS very often. Those clamps bear down pretty hard and the rubberized surfaces are pretty grippy. I know several others on this site use that holder. Maybe they can weigh in with their experiences as the clamp ages.

Registered
That looks good. Thanks. I鈥檝e never had my phone out there on any bike but this makes me think about convenience and possibilities and the bracket is bolted to ??? The speedometer?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
...and the bracket is bolted to ??? The speedometer?

Yes, the two bolts that hold the speedometer on, exactly like the stock Accessory Socket from Honda. It's kind of hard to show with it already mounted but here's a diagram from the installation manual from Honda that shows the concept.

Attachments

Registered
i'm not using the same mount, but I do have a ball mount with my Garmin attached and it's out in the wind. had it hooked up for over a year, and been at speeds up to 75 mph, it's never moved at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts