Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello.

I recently bought a set of Viking saddlebags for my Honda Rebel 500 ABS.
I managed to remove a bolt from the rear fender, but other bolts won't even budge!

Is this normal? How did you remove side bolts from the rear fender?

Thank you and have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Tw,

I used a 3' long breaker bar with an Allen Socket Wrench. One of the bolts broke off and I had to drill it out. I used a left hand drill bit on the bolt I snapped off. Usually with a left hand twist drill before you drill very far the bolt will spin out, not on this bolt.

I have no idea why Honda would have anything that tight just to hold a fender in place. I suspect that there may be some clear thread locker on the bolts.

You can get a breaker bar and a set of Metric Allen Socket Wrenches pretty cheap at Harbor Freight. If you have a soldering iron, you may want to try holding it in the head of the bolt keeping the heat on for a couple of minutes, if there is thread locker that will help melt it loose.

Kenny G

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello.

I recently bought a set of Viking saddlebags for my Honda Rebel 500 ABS.
I managed to remove a bolt from the rear fender, but other bolts won't even bodge!

Is this normal? How did you remove side bolts from the rear fender?

Thank you and have a nice day.

I am thinking of getting a set of the Viking saddlebags (med) even with the cost of shipping to Canada, it is cheaper then the option from Honda. What ones did you get and can you post pictures/opinion once you get them installed.?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Bill,

I tried an impact driver and it just stripped the socket out of the cheap bolts. I then forced a Torx Drive Bit in the socket and used the 3' breaker bar and that worked on all but the one that snapped off.

Fender bolts do not need to be that tight.

Kenny G

·
Registered
217 Posts
I did not explain entirely...
I use to take off passengers attributes often. And my wife wanted to help and took off the passenger foot peg and put back the screws but without tightening too hard.
She thought it could damage the thread.
So the screw felt down I don't know where on the road....

So, it's my fault, not my dealer work :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Removed the passenger pegs and its holder at the left side. The screws were tight as ****! Even broke one tool to loosen this dam screw...

By the way, is there a nice fitting screw/thing for the hole in the rear fender where the passenger seat was locked? The back one is ok, the forward one (just a hole) looks bad and is already rusty...

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Removed the passenger pegs and its holder at the left side. The screws were tight as ****! Even broke one tool to loosen this dam screw...

By the way, is there a nice fitting screw/thing for the hole in the rear fender where the passenger seat was locked? The back one is ok, the forward one (just a hole) looks bad and is already rusty...
Krad,

You can use the same screw as the rear one, easily available in buttonhead.

Kenny G

·
Registered
24 Posts
I stripped the screw completely, then I found a YouTube video that showed me how to drill right though the screw.. the head popped off and then I just pulled it out. My 20 minute saddlebag install took almost 2 hours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello everyone i would like to use some bungee buttons Or bungee knobs on my rebel 500. Do you know what is the size of bolts on rear fender (left and right side).

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Hello everyone i would like to use some bungee buttons Or bungee knobs on my rebel 500. Do you know what is the size of bolts on rear fender (left and right side).
Kep, The bolts are 8mm there is nothing special about them any good hardware store will have what you need.

Kenny G

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi JimInOz actually kenny give the reply for thread diameter but if you know which thread lenght is apropriate for rebel i like to know that before going hardware store.
The thread length of the original fender screws is 18mm.

You need to check the length of your bungee button, add 18mm and there you go.

So, as an example, if your buttons are 15mm high (or long) you need M8 x 33mm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts