Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding season is a couple months away and I'm recovering from a hip replacement surgery, so I have some downtime and an itch to do something to my Rebel and am hoping you guys can all help me decide.

I really like the look of the under pan fairing from K Speed...but if I go that route I can't do the engine guard/foot rest I also like, unless I do the fairing and cut some holes to mount the engine guard. I do get a little cramped after a while cruising and not being able to stretch my legs out, but it isn't unbearable.

Opinions? Fairing, engine guard, or both?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
You know, I don't think I've seen anyone having both of these mounted at the same time.
So do both!
Doesn't look like you'll have to modify it much to get the crash bar installed.
And besides, you'll be able to scratch that itch of yours a little while longer :p

·
Super Moderator
979 Posts
Looking at my fairing/under-pan, the top crash bar mounts are unobstructed, for the bottom mounts you would almost certainly have to bore holes or long slots in the fairing. May make it very flimsy.

I measured 40cm width at the widest point on the fairing, if you can find out the crash bar size it may help you decide.

Or,,, it’s looks vs protection if you choose the one option..

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
have the fairings and forget the crash bars. they look ugly and you might as well have those little learner wheels on the back wheel.
if you crash your bike you will have other problems than a few scratches on your bike and since it's all black you can easily touch them up anyway.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the sole purpose of the crash bars was for me to have a foot rest. Twizzian's closeup picture of the mounting helps my decision a lot more.
I'll go with the under fairing and afterwards see about mounting a drop down foot rest/peg using the top unobstructed bracket.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Well the sole purpose of the crash bars was for me to have a foot rest. Twizzian's closeup picture of the mounting helps my decision a lot more.
I'll go with the under fairing and afterwards see about mounting a drop down foot rest/peg using the top unobstructed bracket.
I'm looking into getting something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Motorcycle-Clamp-On-Highway-Foot-Pegs-Footpeg-Mount-For-Engine-Guard/232612459144?hash=item3628c87288:m:mt8cmX9426sZ_GqfsAI1zNw&vxp=mtr
Might be a good option for you as well?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at my fairing/under-pan, the top crash bar mounts are unobstructed, for the bottom mounts you would almost certainly have to bore holes or long slots in the fairing. May make it very flimsy.

I measured 40cm width at the widest point on the fairing, if you can find out the crash bar size it may help you decide.

Or,,, it’s looks vs protection if you choose the one option..
Any issues at highway speeds w/ the fairing?
Overall would you say it's sturdy and not flimsy?

·
Super Moderator
979 Posts
Dollar
I haven’t experienced any issues with the fairing, no problem at speeds.

Although it’s not very thick plastic it assembles ok & bolts to the bike with no problems.
It’s cheap so you wouldn’t expect the best quality plastic or moulding accuracy’s.
I also put the engine filler side panels which complement each other.

My only real issue with the fairing is that the grill bars in the centre piece are very inconsistent & are not uniform, bad moulding batch perhaps, have examined many pics fitted to other bikes, they all look the same.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Order placed for the fairing from Thailand to Chicago, IL (USA), hopefully it doesn't take too long to get in.
Once it's in the next steps will be figuring out a foot rest/highway pegs and then maybe a swing arm bag.
Looking at what Twizzian said about the brackets I might be able to do something with the style pegs Lyoko posted.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Parts came in today, took a little under a month. Not great, but not too terrible considering it was coming from overseas.

Pics are bad quality, was too excited to wait till morning to install.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Plastics are paper thin and light, but it's well ventilated so I don't see any problems with wind or it coming loose.
Only downside is I had to remove my cup holder I had on the front frame, but I'll live.

Flipping mirrors this weekend and eventually ordering a visor before summer.
Custom paint job in the fall/winter.

·
Banned
247 Posts
I can't figure out if I like it or not, my first impressions when I saw this online was that I liked it, seeing it on a stock bike I'm not as sure, can we get some daylight pics, and some closer shots?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A bit overkill but took a lot pics of it in daylight as requested. The 300 motor does look a little small in the frame, might look a little better on a 500.

Took it for a spin and it's solid, no issues.
Overall I'm happy with it. Should look better once mirrors are flipped and visor is added.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A bit overkill but took a lot pics of it in daylight as requested. The 300 motor does look a little small in the frame, might look a little better on a 500.

Took it for a spin and it's solid, no issues.
Overall I'm happy with it. Should look better once mirrors are flipped and visor is added.

Looks great man! I ordered the same one from Zeedparts and it arrived in a few days time. I’ll probably install it this weekend. Did yours come with a bracket? Mine did and I can’t figure out where it’s supposed to go.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been chewing on the idea of adding these to mine, but they're like #6 currently on my list of mod projects. Haha! I think they compliment the wonky little plastic side panels that I was never a huge fan of. At least the plastic now has a buddy to not look so out of place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts