Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
1) Get an after market exhaust - pull the baffle - you won't hear it rattling over the exhaust.
2) ...Refer to number 1.
= Problems solved XD

I hated the look of the stock exhaust...to the point where I ran without it for a bit. WAY too loud at 12am. I prefer the mussari w/out the baffle, gives a decent amount of sound while looking not horrible. I'd really prefer the GEM classic one (with dual pipes going straight back...kinda like the ''shotgun'' style), but they are reputed to be of very questionable quality.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Rode my 300 to work today on the highway (high rpms) and didn't hear any headlight rattle/buzzing. So probably not a problem with all 300's, just yours.

Like everyone else mentioned, just open the housing and double check nothing is loose. Should be an easy 5 minute fix.

·
Registered
364 Posts
1) headlight bucket vibration
2) brown discoloration /rust on exhaust, just before the muffler. Fairly unsightly.

Moisture in the exhaust is common, if you aren't riding enough for the pipe to get hot enough to steam it off, it's gonna rust and show up on the pipe where you mentioned. There is a hole in the back side of the pipe to let most of the water escape. Short hops won't get the pipe hot enough to get rid of the moisture.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you guys have some tips for rust prevention on the pipes? I have the same problem, was thinking on painting it black with paint that is made to prevent rust but I am not sure if the paint can handle the heat....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Two things I hate about the Rebel 500:
1. The bloody seat is far too uncomfortable;
2. The gear shift sticks so bad you can't change down at intersections without letting some clutch out (dangerous when you're trying to give way to traffic). You end up trying to take off in too high a gear. Aaargh!
Other than those things, I'm still riding it to work with a ****-eatin grin, overtaking the "blue-rinse set" stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
369 Posts
1. IMO, the Rebel seat, like many others, is only designed to look good rather than be comfortable, and therefore is 'oven ready' to be modified - or replaced. The 2020 model is different, BTW.

2. Your gearbox seems to need some attention. My is as sweet as a nut.

·
Registered
110 Posts
2. The gear shift sticks so bad you can't change down at intersections without letting some clutch out (dangerous when you're trying to give way to traffic). You end up trying to take off in too high a gear. Aaargh!
Other than those things, I'm still riding it to work with a ****-eatin grin, overtaking the "blue-rinse set" stuck in traffic.
I experienced the gear issue and found that down shifting to at least 3rd before stopping allowed me to get back into 1st without letting the clutch out like you say. Doesn't work all the time, just most. I read about this issue somewhere on this forum and the bandaid solution. You can't just pull in the clutch in 6th, stop, and expect to shift down into 1st without letting the clutch out at some point while you're stopped.

As for the seat: Corbin :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hmm. I've never had any kind of issue like that with downshifting. Mine is smooth as silk and goes where it's supposed to every time. I do downshift as I'm slowing down though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
you guys should get this. I’ve been riding mtb and I found out if I put this on when riding the rebel it’s a totally new experience. No more monkey Butt .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you guys have some tips for rust prevention on the pipes? I have the same problem, was thinking on painting it black with paint that is made to prevent rust but I am not sure if the paint can handle the heat....
I wipe off my pipes with soapy water and dry them with a towel. Then I wax my pipes with Johnson Paste Wax. I do this about once a month. I do have Fenda Extenda which keeps water from getting on the pipes. I have no indication of losing the factory finish or rust on the pipes.
Kenny G2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts