Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the the turn signal on my 2017 Rebel 300 does not automatically turn off. If that is the way it is supposed to be, I will learn to deal with it. If not, I will start troubleshooting it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The Way It Is

I noticed the the turn signal on my 2017 Rebel 300 does not automatically turn off. If that is the way it is supposed to be, I will learn to deal with it. If not, I will start troubleshooting it.
Nope, that's how it is. Be vigilant when using the signal as leaving it on can be trouble for you if those pesky 4-wheelers think you are turning. There aren't many bikes that actually come with auto off signals but there are some aftermarket controls that can be installed. This is an example of one such device https://www.safer-turn.com/us/ I'm not sure how easy the install is and don't know anyone who uses one. Be Safe!

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Nope, that's how it is. Be vigilant when using the signal as leaving it on can be trouble for you if those pesky 4-wheelers think you are turning. There aren't many bikes that actually come with auto off signals but there are some aftermarket controls that can be installed. This is an example of one such device https://www.safer-turn.com/us/ I'm not sure how easy the install is and don't know anyone who uses one. Be Safe!
There was someone talking about adding this to their Rebel before. Never saw any post/thread of it afterwards thou, so not sure if it was done or not.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Picky Biker please don't be offended but I have to ask... Did you do any research into this bike before you bought it?

The foot controls don't seem to suit you.
It doesn't have enough power for you.
The indicators don't turn themselves off.
You can't get your hands on a manual.

Seems to me these are pretty basic/standard things and yet you bought the bike anyway.
We all come here for news, advice and to share a common interest but I get the impression perhaps you may have been better served if you'd lurked here a while, had a test ride and then maybe asked some of your questions here before buying.
Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sadly, I have never had a bike where the signals turned off on their own. It’s like Bigfoot - I’ve heard that they are out there but I’ve never seen one...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Gary,

I had a Yamaha V-Star with self cancelling turn signals. I think they were timed to go off 20 seconds after completing the turn.

I added LED pilot lights for my turn signals onto my mirrors, I always check both mirrors when completing a turn, so I see the blinking LED and push the signal button.

Riding with the turns signal on after completing the turn is inviting a collision.

Kenny G

·
Registered
105 Posts
Picky Biker please don't be offended but I have to ask... Did you do any research into this bike before you bought it?

The foot controls don't seem to suit you.
It doesn't have enough power for you.
The indicators don't turn themselves off.
You can't get your hands on a manual.

Seems to me these are pretty basic/standard things and yet you bought the bike anyway.
We all come here for news, advice and to share a common interest but I get the impression perhaps you may have been better served if you'd lurked here a while, had a test ride and then maybe asked some of your questions here before buying.
Just my thoughts for what they're worth.
MWAHAHAHA I was wondering why 6"+ men want to ride that bike when it is clearly designed for short people and then complain that there is no room for their long legs.
If you are a male of average height almost ALL bikes are made for your size. You can ride ANY bike you want why bother with the only bike made (by Honda) for dwarfs (and yes that includes the Grom which has a seat height of the standard 75 cm of most bikes)?

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
Although I’ve had my seat thickened up an inch which doesn’t make much difference to the height but more comfortable anyway.
I’m 6’3” tall & have no complaints about riding position or ride height, it’s just a very easy bike to handle no matter how tall or short you are. Most bikes I’ve ridden or sat on to try out feel a little lower than I expected but I put that to my advantage when I don’t need to tip toe when I’m stationary.

The bikes I would look silly on is a MSX or Kr110 etc, but I have seen tall people on them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My old Kawasaki gt750 has an automatic signal turn off thing... well it did have until it stopped working.

It worked off rotations of the front wheel, after a set number (20 I think) off they would go! It was quite annoying at times. :smile2:

I'm under the impression that once upon a time some BMW's of old had a similar facility but I can also confirm that the Rebel most definitely does not... :grin2:

·
Registered
749 Posts
I had a Yamaha V-Star with self cancelling turn signals. I think they were timed to go off 20 seconds after completing the turn.
Kenny G
Oh yeah i forgot about that. I had an 07 Vstar, and it did have those, I think it was something like 1/10 mile traveled or 15 seconds later.
But in all honesty I never relied on that, and just made sure I cancelled the signal myself after every turn, because that's what i was used to doing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You should go take an MSF course. They go over the different aspects of the bike, one of which is using the turn signal and learning to cancel it after making a turn or maneuver. Most bikes do not have self-canceling turn signals...it's just something you'll need to get used to.

·
Registered
67 Posts
MWAHAHAHA I was wondering why 6"+ men want to ride that bike when it is clearly designed for short people and then complain that there is no room for their long legs.
If you are a male of average height almost ALL bikes are made for your size. You can ride ANY bike you want why bother with the only bike made (by Honda) for dwarfs (and yes that includes the Grom which has a seat height of the standard 75 cm of most bikes)?
I'm 6'3'' and I like the way I fit the bike. The way the foot controls are setup is very comfortable to me...and I also have size 13 boots and still love the setup. And personally, I like smaller motorcycles...they're just fun to ride.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sadly, I have never had a bike where the signals turned off on their own. It’s like Bigfoot - I’ve heard that they are out there but I’ve never seen one...

I had a Yamaha V star 650 classic with turn signals auto turn off, along with many Harley's that had auto signal turn off.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i'm 6'1" and have never complained about leg room. Although i ride a bmx bike, so sitting on the rebel is like sitting on a couch in comparison for me haha.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts