Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed what my rebel start making some weird noise while braking. And decided to take it off brakes calipers and clean them.

When I was done with cleaning and started putting things together - I've over-tight one of the bolts and it snapped.
I was lucky and managed to take it off the frame. I was also lucky that my dealer had a replacement in stock, and it cost me about £2.

Dealer also advised me to buy a torque wrench. And tight that bolt with 12-15Nm.

Do you guys know, where can I find with what torque do I need to tight other bolts? I want to avoid this happening again.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Banned
247 Posts
Do you guys know, where can I find with what torque do I need to tight other bolts? I want to avoid this happening again.
Here ya go

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same happened with my 300 bolts during the oil change . Feel like the manual is not worth sometimes. My bolts snapped much before the torque specs were reached.
Got new bolts and the broken piece wasn’t a nightmare at least. Next time I’ll keep it super low at 6 instead of 9 lbs/ft.

I noticed what my rebel start making some weird noise while braking. And decided to take it off brakes calipers and clean them.

When I was done with cleaning and started putting things together - I've over-tight one of the bolts and it snapped.
I was lucky and managed to take it off the frame. I was also lucky that my dealer had a replacement in stock, and it cost me about £2.

Dealer also advised me to buy a torque wrench. And tight that bolt with 12-15Nm.

Thanks.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think that part of the problem is that the factory is tightening the bolts down way beyond the specified torque. Some bolts are almost impossible to get off and it's putting too much stress on 'em.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think that part of the problem is that the factory is tightening the bolts down way beyond the specified torque. Some bolts are almost impossible to get off and it's putting too much stress on 'em.
I'd say the factory is tensioning the bolts and screws to the required torque and in accordance with the required fastener treatment (dry, oiled or locking compound).

Undoing these fasteners requires the correct size/type of tools, for instance, use SAE hex keys on this bike and you quickly stuff things up.

As to the OP post that I missed the first time. The machine screws securing the brake caliper are single use items (ALOC bolts) and must be replaced with new ones if removed and then tensioned to 30Nm/22 lbf-ft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts