Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see an (estimate) thread on here, but I can't find a review that lists the top speed on a rebel 500?

I want to make sure it's highway safe for me, at 250 pounds. That means it hits 70 miles an hour pretty darn quick, rather than sneaking up on it and hoping no one notices?

I've only ridden big displacement bikes, like 1 liter and 800cc, or scooters (150cc). I did ride my Moms 250 once, which...was not safe. It would hit 60, and that was it. Obviously the 500 is twice that big, but I just wanted to make sure. I don't care if it can do the ton, just that it's highway safe for me.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I see an (estimate) thread on here, but I can't find a review that lists the top speed on a rebel 500?

I want to make sure it's highway safe for me, at 250 pounds. That means it hits 70 miles an hour pretty darn quick, rather than sneaking up on it and hoping no one notices?

I've only ridden big displacement bikes, like 1 liter and 800cc, or scooters (150cc). I did ride my Moms 250 once, which...was not safe. It would hit 60, and that was it. Obviously the 500 is twice that big, but I just wanted to make sure. I don't care if it can do the ton, just that it's highway safe for me.
I have ridden at 75mph with a passenger on it. Combined we weigh 280lbs. I have not yet tested the top speed, but it was easy to get over 70.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You went up to 75mph? How does the bike feel at those speeds? I usually stick to the freeway speed limits.
That was the freeway in the center lane. This is SoCal. It didn't feel any different. I notice more vibration in the grips at 50-55. It also felt solid, and wind didn't seem to buffet too bad either.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have a rebel 300 and during break in period it got to 70 mph pretty easily, didn't want to push it though to see what it really maxed out at.
I'd think the 500 would have no problem beating that figure. I'm 220 lbs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had mine up to 95 mph but ran out of back country road. I still had a gear left and I was still accelerating. I'm 175lbs for reference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yea, I also notice more vibration in the handle bars and the seat when going 60ish+ It isn't bad, but definitely noticeable and might get tiring after a long ride at fast speeds. when below 55 I really don't notice any vibrations.

·
Registered
204 Posts
On a back country road... it does a little haha. But nonetheless on the highways whilst cruising, some may see that hitting somewhere around that speed is often used for over-taking perhaps?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Reviving an old thread here..but I hit 90mph on my 500 today and it sure felt like it took a while to get there. I had full gear on and a bookbag with another 20+ pounds..bringing me to probably about 220lbs total.. Straight flat road. Others were saying it could get up there with no problem but I was full throttle and it didn't seem like there was much left.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Reviving an old thread here..but I hit 90mph on my 500 today and it sure felt like it took a while to get there. I had full gear on and a bookbag with another 20+ pounds..bringing me to probably about 220lbs total.. Straight flat road. Others were saying it could get up there with no problem but I was full throttle and it didn't seem like there was much left.
I hit 90 on my 500 pretty easily. I haven't tried to go much above that though. I was prob 50lbs less than your total weight though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hit 90 on my 500 pretty easily. I haven't tried to go much above that though. I was prob 50lbs less than your total weight though.
I was able to hit 93 in a relatively short amount of time (6' 180lbs) But for how much more after I don't think there is too much left. With the smallish engine the winds(friction) starts to make a big difference, I bet if you added some fairings and tucked in real tight you could hit 110 easy. Still plenty of speed for me, whats the point of going faster with this bike? if you wanna go faster get a sport bike and go to the track.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Riding a 500 on the highway: Got up to 90mph on Friday in 6th gear and then twisted to full throttle and was raising speed moderately. Had to slow down with a reduced upcoming speed limit. I'm sure it would have been punchier in 5th.

I don't plan on routinely riding this fast so my curiosity has been satisfied.

-J

·
Registered
376 Posts
Broke 100 mph: Completely flat, 6th gear, light to no wind, small flyscreen attached, not tucked down, 175lbs. It's all she had and it took about 3/4 mile to get there bouncing between 99/100. Anything over a light breeze does play havoc on the 500's speed for sure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts