Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my rebel but I can't help but feel the stock tires aren't much cop. I live in Bangkok and the roads are terrible - pitted, patched, cracked, missing top surfaces, poorly laid tarmac, shiny concrete, even huge metal grills laid over storm drains. I feel that the bike tracks all of these and more. When I'm riding along calmly it's all fine but mix up the bad roads with constant filtering, ducking and diving and it starts to get a little stressful.

Any recommendations for a more suitable tire for the job? Longevity is not important to me, but quality and not tracking every groove is. What do you think could work?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The Shinko777 handles ugly roads very well. I have 3000 miles on them and am going to stick with them for the life of the bike.
Let us know how many miles you get out of the Shinko 777's before changing and if you get twice as many miles out of the front as compared to the rear, that is how it seems to work with most bike tires.

I used Shinko's on scooters and lighter bikes and they worked well. But when I tried them on a heavier Harley, they wore out to fast.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The Shinko777 handles ugly roads very well. I have 3000 miles on them and am going to stick with them for the life of the bike.
I just ordered a set of Shinko 777's for my Rebel. I had them on my Aero 750 and when I sold it they had 7000 miles on them and still were very good. These Dungflop 404's are worn out at 3800 miles.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just got a pair of commander II's and It's literally amazing how much of a difference they made, turning is almost so easy it's gotten a little scary lol. It's a completely difference bike, I don't know if its because the tires have such a round profile or what but i need to get used to it again! I really like them though!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not happy with the OEM tires and contemplating on changing them to Michelin Commander II. Can't locate my handbook at the moment. Would someone be kind enough to let me know what are the OEM sizes (front & rear) please. From whom did you order yours?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Not happy with the OEM tires and contemplating on changing them to Michelin Commander II. Can't locate my handbook at the moment. Would someone be kind enough to let me know what are the OEM sizes (front & rear) please. From whom did you order yours?

Thanks in advance.
130/90/16 and 150/80/16

·
Registered
16 Posts
Commander II's seem to be best perfoming tire, along with some saying the pirelli Fire dragon's (I think that's them anyway) are equivelant in quality. Personally, I like white sidewalls, and will either be going Shinko 777's or Metzeler Me88's, as they also seem to be highly recommended.
I'd say pretty much anything would be better than the stock tires. I'm sure one could find crappier tires (old school biased play's style tires) but there's a reason i see so many call dunlop "donflops".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts