Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is every ones tire pressures for the brand of tires your running? Mine are stock Dunlop and side wall says cold psi max 41 on both front and rear tire. But the dealer serviced it at purchase before giving it to me and they put them at 32 psi. Also, should I leave them at 32psi or take it up to 41psi?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Really? I don't think I've seen this 41 PSI number anywhere else before. AFAIK, the max has always been 32 PSI for the stock tires (but I've been wrong before).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dealership told me to use 33psi but after reading both manual and labels on chain guard I keep both tires at 29psi per manufacturer instructions

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Dealership told me to use 33psi but after reading both manual and labels on chain guard I keep both tires at 29psi per manufacturer instructions

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
If you over inflate the tires the center of the tread wears out really fast.

Kenny G

·
Super Moderator
1,235 Posts
Tire pressure is determined by vehicle weight and MAXIMUM vehicle capacity. While you might think that lower tire pressure could be maintained for bikes that are only ever ridden single, there is no advantage to doing so. Higher tire pressure (40 psi), however, can benefit in better gas mileage.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Well.. Depending on where you are in the world, you might actually need a slightly different tire pressure than someone else. It depends on the climate you're in. If it's hot all day, every day, you might need less pressure, as the heat will expand the air. And opposite in regards of cold climate.

·
Super Moderator
1,235 Posts
Well.. Depending on where you are in the world, you might actually need a slightly different tire pressure than someone else. It depends on the climate you're in. If it's hot all day, every day, you might need less pressure, as the heat will expand the air. And opposite in regards of cold climate.
If it's hot all day, wouldn't it have been hot when you filled the tire? :grin2:

I think you meant places where there is a wild variation in temperature, like Loma, Montana perhaps?

"The largest recorded temperature change in one place over a 24-hour period occurred on January 15, 1972 in Loma, Montana, when the temperature rose from −54 to 49 °F (−47.8 to 9.4 °C).

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I religiously check the air in my tires everyday that I ride.

North Texas has wide fluctuations in air temperature, but probably never more that 40 degrees in 24 hours...

Kenny G

·
Registered
306 Posts
A quick look at the interwebs finds this:

Pressure: Nearly all manufacturers print a maximum inflation pressure on the sidewall the tyre. It is important to note that this is generally not the recommended operating pressure for that tyre. If you are unsure of the correct inflation pressure for your tyres or the pressure description is missing, simply enquire at your local T-Mart or reference the tyre placard on your vehicle.

(my bold)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Does anyone use Nitrogen?

Kenny! perhaps your tires would keep a more stable pressure using Nitrogen for your area.
Twiz,

You are absolutely correct with the Nitrogen. The only place near me that I know of that has the Nitrogen is CostCo and they don't sell motorcycle tires so they don't want to fill motorcycle tires.

Kenny G

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Twiz,

You are absolutely correct with the Nitrogen. The only place near me that I know of that has the Nitrogen is CostCo and they don't sell motorcycle tires so they don't want to fill motorcycle tires.

Kenny G
Just get your hose out then and fill them with water instead! Almost the same!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all

Just checked the tyre pressure for the first time since I purchased my bike. Turns our I’d been riding with 36psi in front and 41psi in rear. I figured the Honda dealer must have way over inflated them, so I reduced both to the recommended 29psi.

Now my bike feels a lot different on corners, and even when turning into my drive way.

I guess it’s just that I’m not used to riding at the recommended pressure, right? Has anyone else had a similar experience? The difference has knocked my confidence a little.

Cheers

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just get your hose out then and fill them with water instead! Almost the same!
Lyoko,

Please show me how to fill my tires with water.

Kenny G
Yeah! Forget Nitrogen, Lyoko has figured out that Dihydrogen monoxide works wonder. Please show us how you do it, just be careful I heard DHMO is a very dangerous substance

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Lyoko,

Please show me how to fill my tires with water.

Kenny G
It's not a mc tire shown, but the principle is the same, have a look:

Supposedly it does give you an advantage when doing burnouts at least :grin2: Although it ads quite a lot of weight :|
Just for the record, I DO NOT recommend anyone to fill water into their tires, be it on bikes, cars, etc. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts