Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I self-proclaim I'm a newbie to motorcycles and frankly manual transmissions in general (I drive an auto but I know HOW to drive stick, just don't own one)

I've heard this term "Throttle blipping" thrown out lately in motorcycling conversations and what not, and I understand what it is, basically matching engine RPM's to wheel RPM's during a downshift.

Does the Rebel 500 benefit from this? Every YouTube video I see talking about it is recorded on sport bikes. I started to wonder if this was a sport bike practice, or something used on bikes with quick shifters, or something else entirely I'm not connecting. Nobody has mentioned it here that I can find, wasn't mentioned in the safety course when getting endorsement. So what's the deal on this business?

Educate me

·
Registered
712 Posts
The safety class refers to it as rev matching. It's basically to ensure a smoother, less jumpy downshift If you're going to use engine braking rather than just coasting and braking.

Personally, I just wait to downshift until the rpms are in the right range for the next lower gear, then downshift and ease the clutch back out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
i do it every time i downshift, the reason you could be running it high in 3rd gear downshift to second and your rear tire locks up causing you to high side. anyone saying there's no reasons obviously hasn't had the rear lock up on them yet.

·
Registered
712 Posts
i do it every time i downshift, the reason you could be running it high in 3rd gear downshift to second and your rear tire locks up causing you to high side. anyone saying there's no reasons obviously hasn't had the rear lock up on them yet.
I would think a better solution would be to not downshift into 2nd if you're still in 3rd at high rpms.

But that's just me lol

·
Registered
712 Posts
wait till you do it! Don't forget to come back and say hello :)
I don't plan on doing it, any more than I plan on shifting my truck into reverse while still driving forward.

As I said above, I don't downshift until I'm in the lower rpm range for the gear I'm in, and even then I ease the clutch out.

Short of a mechanical failure causing a single downshift to move from 4th into 2nd, I don't see how this could happen... and even then, the rpms wouldn't be high enough to lock up the tire.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't plan on doing it, any more than I plan on shifting my truck into reverse while still driving forward.

As I said above, I don't downshift until I'm in the lower rpm range for the gear I'm in, and even then I ease the clutch out.

Short of a mechanical failure causing a single downshift to move from 4th into 2nd, I don't see how this could happen... and even then, the rpms wouldn't be high enough to lock up the tire.
Ok, remember that when it happens though! :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Again dont down shift IF the speed is to high for the gear you WANT to down shift to.

Problem solved. Dont know how you "accidentally" down shift to early and lock a wheel!
Maybe a slight wheel spin/slip, but then agian dont downshift at to high a rev!

·
Registered
717 Posts
you could be running it high in 3rd gear downshift to second and your rear tire locks up causing you to high side. anyone saying there's no reasons obviously hasn't had the rear lock up on them yet.
Did you do it by accident or was it just lack of experience? There is no reason to do that unless you’re not paying attention.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Did you do it by accident or was it just lack of experience? There is no reason to do that unless you’re not paying attention.
I'm curious as well, since it's apparently something we all need to be on the lookout for.

The only way I could see it happening is if you're coasting from a higher speed then shift into the wrong gear...say cruising at highway speed then slowing for a light with the clutch in... it turns green before you get there, so you change gears and let out the clutch in too low of a gear.

Personally, I use every gear own the way down while slowing, so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I rev-match while downshifting. It's not something that's required, at all. Like everyone one said, if you downshift at the appropriate time and let the clutch out smoothly, there's little-to-no tire chirp and definitely no rear lockup.

I began doing it because I ride in a lot of congestion and traffic, and many times I'll need to make a sudden gear change, maneuver, and I need to quickly get into a better gear safely. I began practicing the technique and now it's just habit for me...but even I know that in most scenarios there's little need for me to do it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've never done it because i rev out of a shift up or shift down, I've felt the bike getting pretty close to doing it before though whenever not rev matching. You don't have to do it a crazy amount and be that jerk in 8000rpms, also it really helps with and any jerky movements. The Instructor at my MSF class even told us to. All I'm pointing out is be careful you guys! <3 I've had friends tell me that's how they've crashed in the past.

I guess my mentors were just different than yours. Do you and good luck.

·
Registered
717 Posts
DONT DOWNSHIFT AT 8000rpms!

At that speed you need to upshift!
it was just an example of a the jerks on the road that do. maybe you should read that again......
I have NEVER seen nor heard of anyone who intentionally downshifts at 8000rpm or 7000rpm or 6000rpm.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have NEVER seen nor heard of anyone who intentionally downshifts at 8000rpm or 7000rpm or 6000rpm.
you know nice people, I have friends that will purposely run there bike hard af so its louder... again im not saying i do it nor is it necessary to do that. If you're confused maybe you should reread my post.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts