Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So... count me among those who should have gone with the 500 instead of 300... and I’m thinking of upgrading after only two months on the Rebel.

I love the Rebel, and my first thought was to upgrade to a Rebel 500 and call it a day. But then the CB500X caught my eye.

A couple of things have me leaning toward the CB500X, and I’m wondering if anyone’s made a similar transition:

1. Off-road capability - I don’t want to go crazy in the dirt, but there are tons of fire roads around me that are super appealing. I’ve felt limited by the Rebel.

2. Longer trips - My 300 is an absolute blast around the city. I love every moment on it. But it feels a bit unstable and super buzzy on highways. I have zero interest in going beyond the limit, but I do want to get to some national & state parks that are a few hours away. I know the Rebel 500 would be better on the highway, but how much?

3. Riding two up - again, not looking to do this all the time, but would love the option to take a short ride with my wife every now and again. The 300 can’t do this (unless we lose some weight lol). 500 might be better, but I remember reading the max capacity is similar for both.

4. Size - I’m 6’1” 220 lbs. The Rebel 300 is my first bike, and I love the way it feels, but after sitting on a CB500X, I see the appeal of a bigger bike.

I know this is a personal decision, but I’m wondering if anyone has made the jump to the CB500X, and if so, what your thoughts are. Thanks for humoring me. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
If the ergos on the CB500X are anything like the CB650R, it’s a very different ride from the Rebel. Much more of a forward lean, with feet tucked farther back. The CB650R is much more sport bike-ish and less standard-ish than I expected, and has a LOT more grunt than I expected from a 650 4, which is why I’m planning on trading it as soon as it warms up and my dealer starts getting Rebel 1100’s in. I just prefer a more relaxing ride. But if it’s something more sporty you’re looking for that’s not ridiculously fast, that CB is worth a look.

·
Registered
2020 Rebel 500 ABS
37 Posts
I’ve only had my 500 since September (my first bike) and I’m already looking at trading up as well. For the most part I love my 500 but I think it could use a little more oomph on the highways. So I have a feeling it still might leave you in the same place as your 300. I haven’t ridden the CB500X but i’ve only heard good things...only complaint I’ve heard is people wanting just a little more power.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the 500, but have also been looking into upgrading to a larger, more upright, more ADV-style bike. I’m a similar height + weight and have started feeling a bit cramped, plus I’d like a bike with a bit more “oomph” that’s more comfortable on longer rides.

I’ve looked into the CB500X but, to me, it just seems like the same engine as my Rebel 500 but in a different package. Different, but not the upgrade I want.

Personally, I’m really interested in Honda’s NC750X but, unfortunately, Honda only offers ABS on the DCT (automatic transmission) version of the bike here in the US which is a dealbreaker for me.

In lieu of the NC750X, I’ve been looking into the Suzuki V-Strom 650XT which seems like a beefed up, more capable version of the CB500X, that comes stock with a rack, hand guards, 12V accessory socket, adjustable windscreen, spoked wheels, etc. and has a ton of OEM + 3rd party accessories.

Something to look into if you like the CB500X.

·
Registered
2020 Rebel 500 S
30 Posts
Hi all,

So... count me among those who should have gone with the 500 instead of 300... and I’m thinking of upgrading after only two months on the Rebel.

I love the Rebel, and my first thought was to upgrade to a Rebel 500 and call it a day. But then the CB500X caught my eye.

A couple of things have me leaning toward the CB500X, and I’m wondering if anyone’s made a similar transition:

1. Off-road capability - I don’t want to go crazy in the dirt, but there are tons of fire roads around me that are super appealing. I’ve felt limited by the Rebel.

2. Longer trips - My 300 is an absolute blast around the city. I love every moment on it. But it feels a bit unstable and super buzzy on highways. I have zero interest in going beyond the limit, but I do want to get to some national & state parks that are a few hours away. I know the Rebel 500 would be better on the highway, but how much?

3. Riding two up - again, not looking to do this all the time, but would love the option to take a short ride with my wife every now and again. The 300 can’t do this (unless we lose some weight lol). 500 might be better, but I remember reading the max capacity is similar for both.

4. Size - I’m 6’1” 220 lbs. The Rebel 300 is my first bike, and I love the way it feels, but after sitting on a CB500X, I see the appeal of a bigger bike.

I know this is a personal decision, but I’m wondering if anyone has made the jump to the CB500X, and if so, what your thoughts are. Thanks for humoring me. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dont laugh at this , but, give the rebel a good try on fire-trails. I recon mine is pretty darn good on these trails and its one big reason why I kept it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont laugh at this , but, give the rebel a good try on fire-trails. I recon mine is pretty darn good on these trails and its one big reason why I kept it.
Awesome! Have you made any upgrades to it for that purpose? I’d give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Rebel 500 S
30 Posts
Awesome! Have you made any upgrades to it for that purpose? I’d give it a shot.

No nothing, and I realize that the suspension is technically "hopeless" but, they do very well on trails, and I feel that the reason is those "bulbous" tyres. Also I have put my rear shocks adjustment up to number 4. It helps a heap.

·
Registered
74 Posts
CB500X is a great bike. Look at As the Pagpie Flies (Amanda Zito) on YouTube. She road one all the way across the US. Its a great bike for mixed use. It is the same engine as the Rebel 500, but the body is designed more for mixed use (more fairings, and wind block).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CB500X is a great bike. Look at As the Pagpie Flies (Amanda Zito) on YouTube. She road one all the way across the US. Its a great bike for mixed use. It is the same engine as the Rebel 500, but the body is designed more for mixed use (more fairings, and wind block).
Thanks for the recommendation! Looks like a great channel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts