Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a 2018 Rebel 500 almost a year, 2100 miles. Looking for a little more power without going way up in overall weight or price. Kawasaki Vulcan S fits the bill but I don't like the way forward front pegs/brake/shifter look or location compared to the Rebel. I'm 5'8" and the stock Rebel fits me comfortably with the pegs directly below my knees. Sat on a Vulcan but haven't ridden one yet. I know of one member here that switched to a Vulcan S, anybody else consider this brand and model? Other comments?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Had a 2018 Rebel 500 almost a year, 2100 miles. Looking for a little more power without going way up in overall weight or price. Kawasaki Vulcan S fits the bill but I don't like the way forward front pegs/brake/shifter look or location compared to the Rebel. I'm 5'8" and the stock Rebel fits me comfortably with the pegs directly below my knees. Sat on a Vulcan but haven't ridden one yet. I know of one member here that switched to a Vulcan S, anybody else consider this brand and model? Other comments?
CDL,

The Vulcan S has completely movable foot pegs and different handlebars available for a custom fit to the first owner included in the price.
Research it on Google and then advise the Kawasaki Dealer. The dealer where I live doesn't know how to do it but Don's Kawasaki in Hellam, Pa can tell the dealer how to do it.

Kenny G

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CDL,

The Vulcan S has completely movable foot pegs and different handlebars available for a custom fit to the first owner included in the price.
Research it on Google and then advise the Kawasaki Dealer. The dealer where I live doesn't know how to do it but Don's Kawasaki in Hellam, Pa can tell the dealer how to do it.

Kenny G

I have researched it, just not sure if the reduced reach Ergo-Fit settings for the pegs would come even close to the stock Rebel location. Mid-reach bars and seat on the Vulcan fit fine. Guess I need to ask if the local dealer knows how to move some things around.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I am not sure if the Vulcan S is the bike you want if you are looking for a jump in power.
And the weight is more then a little. It weighs 100lbs more. What you gain in power you will easily lose in handling.

This video reviews the two bikes together. Putting them about equal.

·
Registered
674 Posts
This is a response that I put on facebook when someone asked about the 500 vs the 650.I'm 5 ' 7 and love the forward controls.

"I've had both bikes and still have the S. Advantages of the Vulcan S - tach, gear indicator, more forward controls so it's more comfortable for me, horn button and turn indicator buttons are in the correct place (the Rebel has them reversed), larger engine, faster, smoother at highway speed. Advantages of the Rebel - cheaper sticker price, tons of custom options, cheaper on gas and insurance, zippy little bike. Both bikes have terrible seats but the Corbin seat for the Vulcan is more comfortable than the Corbin seat for the Rebel. All things considered, I would chose the Vulcan over the Rebel although I consider the Rebel a really good bike."

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a Vulcan S for a while, before it was stolen!
I have to say, it's by far my favourite bike I've ridden. The low end power is so much better than the Rebel, and I found it much more comfortable.
The Vulcan is definitely noticeably heavier, but with all the weight being low down, it's very manageable.
I'm loving my Rebel and think it is better looking, but if I had to recommend one of the two bikes, it'd probably be the Vulcan S.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts