Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not a surprise that the stock seat is horrible. There's been countless threads on this topic and recommendations to remedy the issue.

Last season I rode June to October (first time owner, put on about 2000kms), without any issues at all, and i made comments on here about how I sometimes rode for 2-3 hours non stop without issues. Well...I'm taking that comment back!

I spent most of winter months recovering from a slipped disk, and severe lower back and thigh pain (sciatic nerve issues). At 35, I'm healed up now for the most part thankfully, but I still have to take it easy. I didn't put two and two together that bike seat could have caused these issues, but I now know for sure. After almost one month of no pain, I took my bike out yesterday for about 2-3 hours with a couple of breaks in between...and well, I now know for a fact it's the seat/seating position. Pain is back in exactly the same spot where the thigh touches the end of the seat. I think being 6'1 doesn't help the issue either, but damn that spot is hard as a rock!

For those reading, I'm not ranting, just confirming that y'all need to be careful and take steps to prevent future issues. If you're 20 and made out of rubber still... it'll catch up to you eventually :)

I read many recommendations on how to improve comfort (thank you), and for now I'm going with an Air Hawk cushion to see if it will alleviate pressure on my right thigh a bit. I don't want to start spending on new seats just yet...We'll see!

This is my bike now, will post a pic with the airhawk once it arrives.

·
Registered
52 Posts
A more upright sitting position may be required. When safe to do so open your palms and move your hands towards you using bent fingers to control the throttle. This should move the hands closer by about an inch or so. If you find it more comfortable then either higher bars rolled towards you or bar risers would be a permanent and safer solution.
I've lost 4 lumber discs and am in my 60's and found this worked for me - The downside is you may find it more difficult to exert the same bar pressure required to get a knee down when counter-steering :rolleyes:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A more upright sitting position may be required. When safe to do so open your palms and move your hands towards you using bent fingers to control the throttle. This should move the hands closer by about an inch or so. If you find it more comfortable then either higher bars rolled towards you or bar risers would be a permanent and safer solution.
I've lost 4 lumber discs and am in my 60's and found this worked for me - The downside is you may find it more difficult to exert the same bar pressure required to get a knee down when counter-steering :rolleyes:
Definitely won't be doing knee down steering ever or any time soon haha. Thanks for the advice. I haven't looked into risers before, I'll check them out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I also think you should consider making a change with the handlebars. I'm 5'2" and I have no idea how anyone around 6' can ride this bike comfortably. Seems much better for a shorter person.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also think you should consider making a change with the handlebars. I'm 5'2" and I have no idea how anyone around 6' can ride this bike comfortably. Seems much better for a shorter person.
I completely agree with the size issue...I think shorter people are much more comfortable on it than us giants right out of the box. But the heart wants what the heart wants lol

·
Registered
458 Posts
It is up to every person, me think, I am 185 cm and my regular mileage past decade was around 10000kms with many 700kms days on saddle and bike is no significant better or worse as all other bikes I have had (in bad side sticks BMW F650 Dakar and the best bike in regard comfort was Yamaha Virago 250- after flat bar was installed- and it is even smaller bike than our Rebels). And I also have problems with back, neck- all after decades of operating varous cranes...

·
Registered
494 Posts
So, there we are: we are all different. No single adjustment will satsfy everyone. But IMHO, the seat should primarily support the 'sit' bones. After that, it is all about the length of your spine, leg and arm bones. And I suppose body mass comes into it somewhere. Much fiddling being needed to sort all that out. Ergonomics, an interesting subject. I will be interested to read how the Air Hawk goes.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, there we are: we are all different. No single adjustment will satsfy everyone. But IMHO, the seat should primarily support the 'sit' bones. After that, it is all about the length of your spine, leg and arm bones. And I suppose body mass comes into it somewhere. Much fiddling being needed to sort all that out. Ergonomics, an interesting subject. I will be interested to read how the Air Hawk goes.
Yeah I agree with that. Having ape arms length wise does me well, my issue is not being hunched over, I can reach and sit upright relatively easily. It's exactly what you call it, the sit bone and there abouts that's the issue.

I will report back on the Air Hawk;

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 500
71 Posts
I'm interested in hearing what you find. I'm now starting to think about a new seat after 1400 miles but I'm also thinking about changing the handle bars since I'm 6'1". 2-3 hour rides are starting to really show their impact on me.

The other thing that I'm mentally playing with is that most seats are taller than stock. That raises your seated position which should be welcome for your knees but conversely worse for your sitting angle and reach. I'm almost thinking that a taller seat would then require (or make the need more apparent for) taller handlebars.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm interested in hearing what you find. I'm now starting to think about a new seat after 1400 miles but I'm also thinking about changing the handle bars since I'm 6'1". 2-3 hour rides are starting to really show their impact on me.

The other thing that I'm mentally playing with is that most seats are taller than stock. That raises your seated position which should be welcome for your knees but conversely worse for your sitting angle and reach. I'm almost thinking that a taller seat would then require (or make the need more apparent for) taller handlebars.
Honestly, I thought about that too...seems most quality/comfortable seat mods in terms of net new seat or reupholstery naturally add a couple of inches on the back end, which like you said will make being upright a little more difficult.

I really don't want to change handlebars or even risers or any of that...this isn't my forever bike sort of thing. So before throwing more money at it in more significant chunks, I'm hoping the 1/2 inch air cushion will solve the issue. I will reiterate, my issue specifically is the spot just after the butt toward the upper portion of the thigh. That's where the thigh touches the end of the seat and it's just unforgiving once your body decides "that's it buddy, I've had it".

Hoping the minimal amount of air required (according to what I've read) will just be enough to lift that portion off the seat a tiny bit to alleviate constant pressure on the same spot. That shouldn't change upper body reach ergonomics. Package will arrive today, I'll experiment when possible and will 100% post back a reply.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The other thing that I'm mentally playing with is that most seats are taller than stock. That raises your seated position which should be welcome for your knees
this exactly. the biggest benefit to me at 6'3" when I had my stock seat reupholstered with 2 more inches of padding. I don't feel pain in my knees anymore, and can easily ride much longer (hours) without pain anywhere.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this exactly. the biggest benefit to me at 6'3" when I had my stock seat reupholstered with 2 more inches of padding. I don't feel pain in my knees anymore, and can easily ride much longer (hours) without pain anywhere.
Did you find your handlebar reach changed? More hunched over/forward? If so, did you add risers to get your pain free set up? Thanks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok...installed today. Short review: it works as intended and I would definitely look into it if you're having upper thigh/lower back issues due to how hard the seat is and if you're a bit taller than average with long legs.

Longer review:

Very simple set up, and very easy to put together. Pics below.

The material seems high quality, and the straps get tight enough that the pad doesn't move even slightly while sitting on it. The under portion is made of material that pretty much "sticks" to the seat.

I inflated only slightly to the point where when I'm sitting it didn't feel like my butt was moving off the seat when turning the bike. All you need is a little bit of air and it works by relieving pressure off the side that's being pushed on a bit more. It basically spreads the pressure as opposed to it being localized in one spot (in my case on the upper inner portion of the thigh toward the end of the seat where the curve of the seat begins)

It really makes a big difference, right away I no longer felt that constant pressure on my thigh. I didn't have to adjust the mirrors, and my reach to the handlebars was pretty much unchanged. The only noticable difference in ergonomics was that my knees were more parallel to my hips, so less bent upward (long legs...), which is great. I don't feel the need for risers or anything, if anything, I feel a bit more upright now...

I would seriously consider trying this before getting a more expensive seat. That being said, it's not pretty, but it works.

Final disclaimer: this worked for me and my body shape so far. Just be mindful we're all built differently with different aches and pains...thanks!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Did you find your handlebar reach changed? More hunched over/forward? If so, did you add risers to get your pain free set up? Thanks!
No I haven't changed anything about the handlebars, stock location/configuration. If anything I might slightly bend my elbows more or less depending on how straight up I feel like sitting any given time (i've never had to straight-arm my reach).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reporting back on this cushion after a 60 mile ride: It really did make a big difference in post-ride agony. The ride quality during is also not bad...

It doesn't eliminate all discomfort (it's likely also built up and coupled with general bad posture issues that add up and won't disappear overnight), but definitely noticed a positive improvement. In a few words, inner upper thigh area (right around sciatic nerve) is at least not numb and stiff after a short ride, and all day the next day following a ride. It's not a placebo effect either, you can actively feel pressure points not being impacted while you ride, as I normally would have after 30 mins on the bike. The "sit" bones were not bruised after to the point of being so tender that I typically wouldn't even be able to put any weight on that area after a ride.

Money well spent in my view...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got back from a 500km+ trip and I’ve had the exact same pain on the back of my right thigh. It’s happened on every longer ride so far so I was already looking into a replacement seat, but I’ve also looked at the Air Hawk. Thank you for sharing your experience, I think I’ll take the plunge before my next rode trip in a couple weeks.
What size did you go with?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just got back from a 500km+ trip and I’ve had the exact same pain on the back of my right thigh. It’s happened on every longer ride so far so I was already looking into a replacement seat, but I’ve also looked at the Air Hawk. Thank you for sharing your experience, I think I’ll take the plunge before my next rode trip in a couple weeks.
What size did you go with?
Hey...I can't imagine doing 500km+ on the stock seat! Ouch...

I got the "dual sport" size...it's pretty much an exact fit.

Getting the right amount of air in will take a few attempts, but the key is do not over inflate...you really don't need all that much. If you're wobbling like you're on a water bed then you put too much air.

It made a big difference to ME and my issue, so I hope it fixes yours. I've now put on in excess of 3500kms on this cushion and I don't have any issues and can easily ride 2-3 hours at a time. But honestly, if you're keeping your bike long term, I would fork up the money for either a custom seat, or a Corbin based on the reviews. I've recently also started messing around with pedal height adjustment to see if I can get a little more comfortable...time will tell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey...I can't imagine doing 500km+ on the stock seat! Ouch...

I got the "dual sport" size...it's pretty much an exact fit.

Getting the right amount of air in will take a few attempts, but the key is do not over inflate...you really don't need all that much. If you're wobbling like you're on a water bed then you put too much air.

It made a big difference to ME and my issue, so I hope it fixes yours. I've now put on in excess of 3500kms on this cushion and I don't have any issues and can easily ride 2-3 hours at a time. But honestly, if you're keeping your bike long term, I would fork up the money for either a custom seat, or a Corbin based on the reviews. I've recently also started messing around with pedal height adjustment to see if I can get a little more comfortable...time will tell.
I've been looking at either the HRP Super Comfort or the Corbin for a real seat replacement - I don't love the look of the passenger portion of the Corbin GF+L but I'd bet the quality is better so I'm torn. I'll grab the pad for now so have have less leg issues while I continue to decide.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts