Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My thoughts exactly. Honestly, if this was my "1st edition", I wouldn't even consider selling it this soon. Heck, I'd find me a nice, clean barn in the Nevada desert and park it for someone to find 50 years later!
I'm calling Shennanigans...

·
Super Moderator
1,402 Posts
lots of scams on CL - I make an effort frequently to flagged the obvious ones in the vehicle categories

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
It's funny thou, since the Rebel first came out in Thailand. Or does he mean as in the very first in the US?
Either way it's... pretty silly.
Store it until the day it becomes a veteran, then it might be interesting. But even then, it's still the 300 and not the 500..
I'd take a guess that the bloke thought the 300 would suffice in a longer run, might be the cost also, outgrew it way too fast, and is hoping to sell it with a profit.

·
Super Moderator
1,402 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Maybe --- and that's a pretty big assumption --- if the dealers in those areas are sold out and no more can be acquired and people simply can't get them there, then an inflated price is justified. Harley was doing the same thing in the mid-90's when demand actually surpassed supplies (at least until they got their new manufacturing facility running) and used bikes were selling at higher prices than new ones due to the waiting lists versus immediate availability.

But this is all thrown out the window by the fact that the '18 models have already arrived at dealers everywhere and you can get the 500 OTD for those 300 prices. Simply put, the bikes are too new to be hyping as first model year bikes at high prices. That and Japanese bikes are hard to hype as such unless they actually had low production runs and are actually in demand. Case in point: I have a first year 600 Shadow (1988) in meticulate condition and I could easily get above KBB retail ($1600) for the bike if I put it up for sale..but I'd be stoned out of my gourd if I thought for one second that I could get above the original MSRP for it ($3999). I might be able to get close to that at a MC auction, or at least come pretty close to breaking the 3K barrier. Meanwhile if I had a 1993 Deluxe model 600 I could ask what I wanted for it because true collectors know the bike was a test market mule of which dealers were allocated two each and as such roughly 2000 were made, and I could certainly get a healthy chunk of change at a MC auction.

But never in my wildest dreams would I see such high returns on Craigslist for either bike. Not legitimately anyways.

Besides, everyone knows the first edition Rebel came out in 1985. :D Seriously though, those 85 models easily net above original MSRP prices in good shape.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Here's one.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/d/honda-300cc-custom-bobber/6569625895.html

Posted 28 days ago
Honda 300cc Custom Bobber Brand New - $12000 (Shadow Hills)
image 1 of 3
1 2 3
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

Honda 300cc
fuel: gas
transmission: manual
Brand new bobber custom made. A lot of custom parts & accessories! Come check it out in person. We can even have your initials painted onto the gas tank or anything else you'd like.

cafe racer new bike cruiser bobber custom

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here's one.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/d/honda-300cc-custom-bobber/6569625895.html

Posted 28 days ago
Honda 300cc Custom Bobber Brand New - $12000 (Shadow Hills)
image 1 of 3
1 2 3
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

Honda 300cc
fuel: gas
transmission: manual
Brand new bobber custom made. A lot of custom parts & accessories! Come check it out in person. We can even have your initials painted onto the gas tank or anything else you'd like.

cafe racer new bike cruiser bobber custom

This person is probably selling the 300 they won from a drawing a year back from Aviator Nation.

Link Here. But even for $12000 this is a joke. You could buy a used 300 and a 500 for that price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts