Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what kind of fuel economy you guys are getting. I find that 3 bars on the indicator gets me about 100 miles, meaning I'm averaging 35ish mpg.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ve noticed that the first bar goes away pretty quickly for me, like maybe 15 or 20 miles. One bar left at around 100, and flashing at maybe 140 miles. I believe I read at flashing you have like 20 miles yet.

When I fill up I usually put in two gallons or even less, and I am at least 100 miles in. I think I get 60-70mpg on average, which is pretty great.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Curious what kind of fuel economy you guys are getting. I find that 3 bars on the indicator gets me about 100 miles, meaning I'm averaging 35ish mpg.
Don't go by the bars.. they're not accurate.

Fill up and reset your trip odometer. Drive it almost to empty (last bar flashing), then fill up again.

Divide the miles on your trip odometer by the number of gallons it takes to fill up.
If you're riding 100 miles and then gassing up, you're probably putting in less than 2 gallons.

I don't use the fuel gauge at all. Reset your trip meter at fill up - drive 130-150 miles - fill up - reset trip meter.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I probably average about 65 mpg. As @CueBaller mentioned the gauge is good for telling you when you're full and when you're almost empty (Last Bar Will Begin To Flash) and as @ABiz mentioned you have plenty of time to find fuel. I personally have driven 10 miles on the flashing bar.

·
Registered
712 Posts
For reference, I checked my MPG fairly regularly when I bought my 500 last May, and was averaging in the upper 60s to low 70s.

A year later, I'm much more comfortable riding, and I ride a bit more aggressively, so that number has probably decreased a little... but I haven't checked my MPGs in probably 6 or 8 months.

I'll make a point to do so after my next fill up, just to see how it's changed.

·
Registered
354 Posts
...for me... in kilometres
-first bar 50- 70 km (depends how much I filled)
-second bar around 70km (that mean anything from 60- 75km in that range)
-third bar same
-fourth bar same
-blinking bar better go for some fresh fuel (around 40km was longest ride like that... and put around 10litres to reservoir)

This returns my fuel economy from as little as 3litres per 100km (mostly riding with wifey) to close to 4l/100km kinda spirited ride:grin2:) This outcome is mostly the same from new, so to speak 11000kms in total. And still, with bar went out, I'm in to check, how much I got from that bar...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’ve noticed that the first bar goes away pretty quickly for me, like maybe 15 or 20 miles. One bar left at around 100, and flashing at maybe 140 miles. I believe I read at flashing you have like 20 miles yet.

When I fill up I usually put in two gallons or even less, and I am at least 100 miles in. I think I get 60-70mpg on average, which is pretty great.

Same here, my gauge starts flashing 130-140 miles. I always reset the meter when I fill up so I can keep track of my mileage. When I first bought my Rebel I was averaging 60-62 miles per gallon. I've since lost a few pounds and now I'm averaging 62-65. Riding more or less aggressive doesn't seem to affect the mileage too much. The nearest gas station to my house is almost 10 miles away, so I always have to make sure I check my mileage when I pass it on my way home.

I love the fuel economy I get with the Rebel. Before this I was driving a 1994 Jeep Cherokee that was drinking 50 dollars a week in gas. I think the most I have put into the Rebel in one week is 10 dollars. Most weeks I only spend 5 or 6 dollars in gas.

-CG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ran it till the light was flashing at about 120 miles, gassed up and did the math. I get 54 mpg that being said I do almost all city driving and I keep the rpms pretty high rarely going above 3rd gear under 45mph.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I ran it till the light was flashing at about 120 miles, gassed up and did the math. I get 54 mpg that being said I do almost all city driving and I keep the rpms pretty high rarely going above 3rd gear under 45mph.
I might hit 45 in 3rd if I'm accelerating to highway speed, but otherwise, in town, I'll cruise 4th gear at 35mph... and at 45 I'd be in 5th.

Even strictly in-town riding, you'd likely see much better MPGs if you'd ease up on the RPMs a bit...

·
Registered
814 Posts
I might hit 45 in 3rd if I'm accelerating to highway speed, but otherwise, in town, I'll cruise 4th gear at 35mph... and at 45 I'd be in 5th.

Even strictly in-town riding, you'd likely see much better MPGs if you'd ease up on the RPMs a bit...

^^^^What CueBaller Said 100%

If I am trying to accelerate as fast as possible I might be in 3rd gear in the low 40s for maybe 1-2 seconds.
Riding through town, shift to 2nd at 15mph 3rd at 25mph 4th at 35mph and at 45mph I would be in 5th.

Without a doubt the reason your MPG is so bad is due to how you are riding. I wouldn't say it is bad enough where you would damage the engine at those shift points, but you would without a doubt be getting pretty bad gas Mileage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would love to see a video of you guys riding around at 45 mph in 5th or 6th gear.
Honestly, that is pretty normal if it's just cruising around imo.. I do my daily commute on a dual carriageways with a speed limit of 40mph and if its no traffic I am settled in 5th gear around 40-45mph. When it comes to speed up to the highway or overtaking, then I run on a higher rpm

·
Registered
814 Posts
I would love to see a video of you guys riding around at 45 mph in 5th or 6th gear.
No idea why you would think that is weird and something you would want to see. I mean if you follow the manual(yes I know it is pretty low) you would be in 5th and 6th before there.

1st to 2nd- 12mph (20km/h)
2nd to 3rd- 19mph (30km/h)
3rd to 4th- 25mph (40km/h)
4th to 5th- 31mph (50km/h)
5th to 6th- 37mph (60km/h)

Yes those are crazy low in my opinion and are more aimed for best fuel economy. But 45mph at 5th or 6th gear and the bike runs perfectly fine.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Nothing wrong with 5th gear at 45mph.
Honestly, that is pretty normal if it's just cruising around imo.. I do my daily commute on a dual carriageways with a speed limit of 40mph and if its no traffic I am settled in 5th gear around 40-45mph. When it comes to speed up to the highway or overtaking, then I run on a higher rpm
No idea why you would think that is weird and something you would want to see. I mean if you follow the manual(yes I know it is pretty low) you would be in 5th and 6th before there.

1st to 2nd- 12mph (20km/h)
2nd to 3rd- 19mph (30km/h)
3rd to 4th- 25mph (40km/h)
4th to 5th- 31mph (50km/h)
5th to 6th- 37mph (60km/h)

Yes those are crazy low in my opinion and are more aimed for best fuel economy. But 45mph at 5th or 6th gear and the bike runs perfectly fine.
OK on all that. I gave up discussing shifting points in the shift points thread and don't care enough to do it again here. But how hard is it to post a 1 minute video for everyone to see and hear what you're talking about?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts