Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

Takumi World Forward Controls

9K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Frankster 
#1 ·
tl;dr: Forward controls for 300 USD (CMX300) or 250USD (CMX500)

I've been on the hunt for a while for forward controls for my 2018 CMX300A. I know that there are a few floating around, like the DPM ones, but they are much more expensive than what I am willing to pay for a few metal brackets and extension rods.

Recently found this listing on ebay: Custom forward control kit for Honda Rebel 300,500 All years. | eBay, and it looks pretty good, and at a relatively good price (250USD). The seller also gives you a few options for customization if you contact them: gloss or matte black for the brackets, chrome or black for the rods.

The eBay store has a rating of 0, but I contacted the company in Thailand directly via email to confirm that it's their store and they verified it. They just got on eBay last month in an attempt to grow their business outside of Thailand. It looks like I may very well be their first ever eBay customer. With the eBay Money-Back Guarantee to back me up, I figured I don't have too too much to lose.

I ended up paying an extra 50$ because the 300 requires an replacement shift lever and a slightly different linkage system to function properly. The seller was very upfront about that while we emailed so I wasn't blind-sided or anything. He sent me a few pictures of the extra parts that are needed for the 300. Maybe 50 USD is a little stiff for an extra shift lever, but even at 300USD, these are still much cheaper than the 470 EUR that DPM is charging.

In monopoly money (CAD), I ended paying just over 400 loonies including shipping. The DPM, as price on Amazon, would have set me back 625 loonies, so I see it as a substantial discount.

I'll keep you all updated with the progress and will post pictures once I've installed them on my bike. Ebay shows the expected delivery between 7-18 June. Hopefully everything is legit and it all works out.

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting, i like that is one piece instead of the dpm style. Have to let us know how sturdy they feel.

Dpm said they were making a set for the 1100, not sure what the difference is, but I wonder if this company will end up making a set of these for the 1100?

Keep us updated, thanks!

#4 ·
tl;dr: Forward controls for 300 USD (CMX300) or 250USD (CMX500)

I've been on the hunt for a while for forward controls for my 2018 CMX300A. I know that there are a few floating around, like the DPM ones, but they are much more expensive than what I am willing to pay for a few metal brackets and extension rods.

Recently found this listing on ebay: Custom forward control kit for Honda Rebel 300,500 All years. | eBay, and it looks pretty good, and at a relatively good price (250USD). The seller also gives you a few options for customization if you contact them: gloss or matte black for the brackets, chrome or black for the rods.

The eBay store has a rating of 0, but I contacted the company in Thailand directly via email to confirm that it's their store and they verified it. They just got on eBay last month in an attempt to grow their business outside of Thailand. It looks like I may very well be their first ever eBay customer. With the eBay Money-Back Guarantee to back me up, I figured I don't have too too much to lose.

I ended up paying an extra 50$ because the 300 requires an replacement shift lever and a slightly different linkage system to function properly. The seller was very upfront about that while we emailed so I wasn't blind-sided or anything. He sent me a few pictures of the extra parts that are needed for the 300. Maybe 50 USD is a little stiff for an extra shift lever, but even at 300USD, these are still much cheaper than the 470 EUR that DPM is charging.

In monopoly money (CAD), I ended paying just over 400 loonies including shipping. The DPM, as price on Amazon, would have set me back 625 loonies, so I see it as a substantial discount.

I'll keep you all updated with the progress and will post pictures once I've installed them on my bike. Ebay shows the expected delivery between 7-18 June. Hopefully everything is legit and it all works out.
Hmmmm. Clicked on your ebay link and ebay reports the listing ended 5/7/2021. That doesn't bode well.

#5 ·
I can still see it, but that's probably cause I'm the one who bought it. Seller is new to Ebay, probably didn't make it a recurring listing so it "ended" as soon as I clicked "buy it now". I've got the pictures from the original listing, as well as the extra ones he sent me for the 300 if people are interested.

#8 ·
So far, I've had nothing but a great experience! Despite the significant time difference which makes communications a little bit delayed (working hours in Thailand are pretty much sleeping hours for me, and vice-versa), the seller has had amazing communications and kept me updated throughout the process. It seems like each kit is "made-to-order", which I think means that the 8 days turnaround is impressive!

My kit will ship from Thailand tomorrow. I'll mention to the seller to put his ad back up on eBay as I expect he might be getting some more business soon. Otherwise, his official business website is at Home - Takumi's World Phillippines.

The seller sent me a picture of my finished product (I picked matte black).

I'll update again once I have received and installed it.

#11 ·
Unfortunately, I haven't received it yet. Well, actually, I received one part of it. Long story short, the seller realized he forgot to package one of the rods, so he shipped it via air (express) to me. I received that part after about 3 weeks of transit. I only paid for the standard shipping for shipping, so that's actually coming via freight (boat). I guess the estimate of June 19th, which would have been 1 month after shipping, was way off. Everywhere I look online, I see that standard freight shipping from Thailand to Canada is about 60 days, which would be tomorrow were it not for COVID. Because of COVID, I'll give it another week before I start looking into what's going on with the shipment.

Either way, the one part I received looks like really good quality, and the fact the seller shipped it express at his own cost seems to indicate that I can expect good after-sale service.

I'll keep you guys all updated when it gets here and I install it. Hopefully it should be pretty soon.

#13 ·
Well, after 3.5 months of bobbing in the ocean in a freight container (I assume), I've finally received my forward control kit. First impressions are good and I'm looking forward to set it up.

I'll make the install in the next week and I'll make sure to take plenty of pictures, in the hope it might help others with their install down the road.

#20 ·
I’m absolutely new here to this forum so I hope I’m posting in the correct manner. That being said, I’m on the hunt for forward control kit for my ‘19 Rebel 300. I’m older and have had both my hips replaced with aftermarket parts 😁. The OEM peg position is really uncomfortable for my hips and the forward controls look like they would be an ideal solution. I’ve looked at the Takumi, Red Dragon, and the DPM all on eBay.
I’m a little Leary about a $$ transaction of that amount not knowing the reputation of these companies.
I’ve read everything I can find here on this forum and it looks like nobody has had real problems with any of the suppliers so that makes me feel a bit better.
Anyway, do any of you know of more suppliers than the 3 I’ve listed? Do any of you have recommendations on a specific supplier and their parts quality? I’m ready to pull the trigger on the purchase, I now need to decide which kit to purchase. It looks to me that the DPM kit is specific to the 500 but I can’t find out what the differences are between the kit for the 300 vs the 500.

#21 ·
Hi and welcome! I have reduced hip flexibility due to surgeries performed 50 years ago to correct a factory defect ;). When I got my Rebel 1100, I found the pegs to be painfully high. Sometimes when I stopped at a light, I had to really work at getting my foot on the right peg. I don't really want them forward (just personal preference), but I'd love to be an inch or two lower. Since I couldn't find any third party offerings to lower pegs, I decided to buy a Corbin seat which they said adds about 1-1/2" in height. When I ordered (over the phone) they offered to put an extra inch of padding. Since I have a 30" inseam, I was a little concerned about flat-footing the bike with the higher seat, but it turned out fine. When I got the seat (it took 7 weeks for them to deliver due to the customizing), It looked good and felt a lot better. Also, after riding for a few months, my hips got a little more "used to it". If I could lower the pegs an inch, I'd still do it but the bike is a lot more pleasurable to ride with the Corbin.

I'm not trying to discourage you from getting forward pegs, just offering another (or maybe additional) idea. If you are turned off by the $700 Corbin solution, many riders on this list have had success with taking the OEM seat to a local upholstery shop for height and appearance modifications.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

#22 ·
I think you’re right that increasing seat height will help also. (Your seat looks really nice..comfy too) Im considering purchasing the Mustang seat in addition to moving the pegs. I’ve read that seat is about an inch higher. I also don’t want to ruin the low look of the bike overall. I also just need to get more hours in on this bike to get my hips use to this new position. I just got rid of my old Suzuki DR which sat a good deal higher.
I’ll get it all dialed in eventually, as long as the check book holds out. I like this little bike though, got several mods done so far…..it should be a fun grocery getter

#23 ·
I pulled the trigger and ordered a set of forward controls from what appears to be a one man operation in Viet Nam called Red Dragon. He’s got several videos posted on you tube, installation looks pretty straight forward. The design of the controls is simpler than several others I’ve looked at and reuses many of your OEM parts. He says he can have the kit in my hands by about Jan 15th. I’ll post some pics and my thoughts after I receive the kit. The guy has been very easy to work with by email and has agreed to modify his design for me at a minimal cost. That’s one of the beauties of working with a small shop operation. We shall see.

#24 ·
Thanks for sharing! Been entertaining the idea of forward controls for some time and this price point seems reasonable!
Definitely looking forward to hear your views/ see your pics!
You mentioned customising some things. Could you share what these customisations are, and how/why they would potentially benefit you/other riders?

#25 ·
I received the forward controls kit a few days earlier than expected 👍. I got to say that Red Dragon was absolutely great to work with. “Tristan” from RD appears to be a one man operation so when communicating , you’re emailing with the design/manufacturer/shipping/customer service departments 😊. His original design moved the controls just over 5” forward and I told him I’d like it moved 7”. He had no problem making that change and charged me just $10-15 more for materials. I ordered the kit on Thursday and received it the following Wed. I was very surprised it came so quickly from Viet Nam.
Materials he uses are very heavy duty, the main extension bracket is right at 3/16” thick powder coated steel.
All bolts are allen head but shiny rather than black. They look fine though. He provides written installation instructions along with pictures plus a video on YouTube so installation was straight forward. I would consider the installation to be ”simple” for anyone that has just a little experience turning wrenches.
I installed the shift side on one day and the brake side the following day. I have some mobility issues with my hips so I work pretty slow. All told, it probably took me a couple hours to install the entire kit.
Speaking of my hips, I’ve had them both replaced which severely impacted my range of motion without pain. This was my main motivation for installing the forward controls kit. After getting the kit installed and sitting on the bike with feet on pegs, I could tell immediately that the comfort level was FANTASTIC! It changes the angle of your legs perfectly and rests your feet in front of you. Super comfortable. It also changes how your butt contacts the OEM seat. I had been planning on purchasing a new seat to increase comfort. I seriously don’t think I’m going to need a new seat now with this forward controls kit installed. It changes the contact angle so that your rear end meets the seat where there is the most padding…..on both!
Im in central Illinois and it’s just too cold to go for a ride today so I’ve only sat on the bike so far……with it on its stand both feet on pegs. I’m totally confident though that I’ll be very happy with the ride.

feel free to ask any questions in case I’ve missed some info you’d like to know about this kit. I looked at every kit I could find on the internet. There isn’t a whole lot of reviews or other information out there on the individual kits. So I couldn’t rely on other peoples evaluations when choosing this kit…..they aren’t cheap by any means and I was a bit nervous committing that much money for a product that I really didn’t have a great deal of knowledge about. That coupled with the money being sent half way around the world made me a bit apprehensive on pulling the trigger on this purchase. So far anyway, I’m absolutely happy with the product AND dealing with Tristan at Red Dragon. Big thumbs up 👍

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Fuel tank Hood Light Automotive tire

Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

#29 ·
Haven't been on this forum for quite some time, but I figured I'd take the time to give my impressions on the Takumi World Forward control and give some of this thread some closure. Hopefully, it will give whoever is looking for information on these forward controls some information to inform their purchase.

As I specified in earlier posts, the communication with the seller was as good as one could expect for someone on the other side of the world (and therefore in opposite timezone). He was even able to help me track down the package when it seems like it might never arrive.

Which leads us to shipping: it was SLOW. The eBay ad said 30 days, which was not really realistic. Random sources I found seem to show that freight shipping would be more around 2 months. Even then, It took much longer than that to arrive. When it arrived, the transaction wasn't even open in eBay still. After I received the goods, I couldn't even rate the seller because of how long ago the initial transaction happened. Very happy it actually made it, because it had been so long, I would have had no recourse to get my money back (that's my fault though, I should have open a ticket with eBay when it didn't arrive a week or so after the states date).

The finish and workmanship of the product is top notch. I have no complaint. The powder coating seems of good quality, the welding looks solid, and it even came with the OEM rubber cylinder that covers the shift lever.

Design-wise though, things could be better, but it's not so bad as to be a deal breaker. These are the style that hook from the back where the OEM footpegs are connected to the frame, but also connect to the front, on the engine frame. On the 300 however, the bolt that connect the engine to the frame is too short to accommodate the thickness of both sheet of metal, so I had to get a new bolt/rod. No a big deal, but an extra expense (and trouble) to take into account.

The control also make it slightly awkward to access the oil filter. It's still doable without having to remove the forward control, but it's really tight, and if you use bulky tool, it might not work for you.

Finally, the most frustrating part is the shift lever. I have floorboard so it might be that I want the shift lever to be adjusted to a height that it wasn't designed for, but when shifting down, the rod connecting the pedal to the transmission is essentially parallel to the shift pedal. This means it requires a lot more strength for the rod to push the pedal back to its "resting" position. If the bike gets dirty (riding in rain/mud), the transmission doesn't have enough force to push the pedal back in place and it just stays stuck in the "down" position. It's nothing a can of WD-40 can't quickly solve, but it proved to be a little bit of a safety issue before I figured out what was happening. Now, cleaning and lubing my shift lever is part of my chain clean & lube routine.

I think people have said all there is to be said about the ergonomics. It's awesome, I don't want to go back to stock.

I can post pictures if people are interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.