Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

Sucking Noise with Throttle

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Daniel Perez Jordan 
#1 ·
So I started noticing sort of a sucking/muffled whistling noise whenever I roll the throttle (slightly of hard). I have a Musarri exhaust on it and can hear it over the exhaust, wind, helmet, and music. I didn't notice it until recently... Is this the sound of the intake? Does anyone else experience this?

#2 · (Edited)
If you are experiencing the same worry I was, it should be the intake, yes. I was concerned for the same reason about week or two into owning mine and after showing a video of the sound, the motorcycle Discord I'm in confirmed it was indeed the intake. Don't take my full word for it, as I haven't actually heard it myself, but after reading your description I believe you should be okay. :wink2:

#4 ·
I have also noticed a noise like the one you described when rolling the throttle in my new 2018 Rebel 500. I was trying to find more information about it but it was hard to describe. I was trying to define the noise as a"sipping", but it also fits de the description for "sucking" air.

The noise repetition rate increases in sync with the throttle. However, the bike performs and feels great so I haven't been too worried about it.

From the research I have done in this forum and other pages/videos I came to the conclusion this is probably the rebel's 500 "induction noise", which is the noise of air being sucked into the engine. I will however bring it up when I take the bike for service just for reassurance.
Okay, good to know it's not just me. I figured it was the intake but I was like no way is it sucking that hard! It pulls air as hard as the ported intake on my Lexus IS350.

#3 · (Edited)
I have also noticed a noise like the one you described when rolling the throttle in my new 2018 Rebel 500. I was trying to find more information about it but it was hard to describe. I was trying to define the noise as a"sipping", but it also fits de the description for "sucking" air.

The noise repetition rate increases in sync with the throttle. However, the bike performs and feels great so I haven't been too worried about it.

From the research I have done in this forum and other pages/videos I came to the conclusion this is probably the rebel's 500 "induction noise", which is the noise of air being sucked into the engine. I will however bring it up when I take the bike for service just for reassurance.

#5 ·
Unfortunately, my GoPro has terrible audio recording so I don't know if the sound would clearly show the "sucking" noise I hear.

I might try it next time I ride anyway. If you have a camera mount on your helmet you might want to try uploading a video. If other members in the forum can hear it they might be able to recognize it as well.

Then again: reassurance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.