Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I tried changing my own oil and while I was using a torque wrench to tighten everything back up, I stripped the oil plug hole under the engine. Now the bolt wont tighten and just continues to rotate without tightening when i screw it.

I ordered a new 12mm bolt from honda and the new one also won't tighten.
I tried placing two washers and it still won't tighten, just rotates.

I am about to re tap the plug to 14mm, but wanted to ask around here for ideas before I make such a permanent "repair."

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
371 Posts
300 or 500? If it's the 500 I'd replace the pan, but i think the 300 is integrated into the crankcase? (not sure about that though) I'f you re-tap it I'd be afraid of getting shavings in the crankcase/oil pan.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you do go that route I'd run at least a quart of oil through after you put the new plug in and drain it immediately then reinstall and fill appropriately. Then I'd do a quick change again after running for a bit.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Hi,

I tried changing my own oil and while I was using a torque wrench to tighten everything back up, I stripped the oil plug hole under the engine. Now the bolt wont tighten and just continues to rotate without tightening when i screw it.

I ordered a new 12mm bolt from honda and the new one also won't tighten.
I tried placing two washers and it still won't tighten, just rotates.

I am about to re tap the plug to 14mm, but wanted to ask around here for ideas before I make such a permanent "repair."

Thanks for any suggestions.
I never stripped a bolt or a stud until I bought my first torque wrench. In recent years I don't use a torque wrench unless I am assembling an engine or transmission. I tighten everything else Good N' Tight and go for a ride and come back and check all the fasteners the I installed and if they are Good N' Tight I put the tools away. :smile2:

Good luck with your repair.

Kenny G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts